A network of airsofters in the Metro Atlanta area.


    7.4V LiPo's Capabilities

    Share

    Guest
    Guest

    7.4V LiPo's Capabilities

    Post  Guest on 26.01.10 17:11

    Another thread concerning an argument I was having with an airsoft atlanta employee, a different one this time. My friend, Blake, has a gun using an M130 spring in it (he gets around 400-410fps), with a 1500-1700mAh 9.6v NiMH battery. He wanted more battery power and longer life, so I suggested he use a 7.4v LiPo battery, said it was preetty much the same output as the 9.6v except smaller and would last longer depending on the mAh value. The airsoft atlanta employee said that a 7.4v LiPo could never pull that spring back, and would be a waste of money. Thoughts/comments?
    avatar
    Admin
    Admin

    Posts : 2096
    Join date : 2008-12-30
    Location : Acworth

    Re: 7.4V LiPo's Capabilities

    Post  Admin on 26.01.10 17:20

    I've run a 15C 2200MaH 7.4v lipo on my Marui M14, which gave me a nice RoF with an M130. Anyone who knows anything about how batteries work will know that the C rating (it's related to the discharge rate of the battery) can be more important than the actual voltage itself. If you don't believe me then wire together a bunch of 9v Alkaline batteries in series. You can wire a pack that's pumping out almost 30 volts with alkaline batteries, but it won't pull back anything because the discharge is so low.

    EDIT: the exact RoF is going to depend on what kind of C rating and how many MaH you get with your lipo. For more RoF, get a higher C rating/more MaH.


    Last edited by Admin on 26.01.10 21:06; edited 2 times in total


    _________________




    If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.
    avatar
    Admin
    Admin

    Posts : 2096
    Join date : 2008-12-30
    Location : Acworth

    Re: 7.4V LiPo's Capabilities

    Post  Admin on 26.01.10 17:31

    Here's some quick quotes I found by doing a search for "7.4v lipo" on ASB and a couple other forums:
    Myers wrote:
    a 7.4 does put out very similar to a 9.6v. They have a great size and discharge advantage over a 9.6v, which is why you seem to be experiencing a better trigger response out of it. You should build the insides of the gun as if you were setting it up for a 9.6v. Pretty simple really.

    Jakobie wrote:
    My 7.4v Lipo shoots in between a 8.4v and a 9.6v, but the trigger response with my Lipo seems better than my 9.6v


    Norinco QBZ-95 wrote:
    I believe 7.4v LiPo's are meant to perform like normal 9.6v's and should be fine to use without any modification.

    Mipers wrote:
    7.4 is like between a 8.4 and a 9.6 so i think it should be alright.

    Jakobie wrote:
    My 7.4v 2200mah 25C Turnigy is a about the same size a 9.6v mini, but 1/2in shorter. ROF wise its in between a 8.4v and a 9.6v but it gives better trigger response then my 9.6v.

    blAze wrote:
    7.4v is like a 9.6v nimh cell.

    Greg Man wrote:
    Through my experience there is no ROF difference between a 7.4 lipo and 9.6 nimh. However you do have the increased trigger response.

    bmackay318 wrote:I know that 7.4v LiPOs give a similar rof to an 8.4-9.6 NiMH/NiCD.


    _________________




    If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.
    avatar
    Rhino

    Posts : 1580
    Join date : 2008-12-31
    Age : 39
    Location : The Big Dime (Tenn.)

    Re: 7.4V LiPo's Capabilities

    Post  Rhino on 26.01.10 17:41

    99% of AA employees dont know what they are talking about! a 7.4 will pull my M170 in my SL9! point proven


    _________________
    G&P Custom Navy Seal PolarStar with Short, Medium and Long Uppers.
    XDM
    avatar
    navyseal1000

    Posts : 820
    Join date : 2009-03-27
    Age : 21
    Location : Macon, Georgia

    Re: 7.4V LiPo's Capabilities

    Post  navyseal1000 on 26.01.10 18:01

    7.4 Lipo's are the way to go. Don't let the term ''7.4'' get you because it is not 7.4 volts, more like a normal 9.6. (Yes I already saw the above comments, just putting mine out there). I heard a guy with a G36, He had a Systema Magnum, G&P lightweight piston, Modify metal bushings, mosfet and a M150 spring, with a 7.4 he got 18-19-20 rps while the 9.6 saw only 14 rps....what a discrace! So in my opinion, listen to Rhino, Airsoft Atlanta don't know jack.
    avatar
    Airsoftguy238

    Posts : 1423
    Join date : 2009-03-28
    Age : 22
    Location : College Park

    Re: 7.4V LiPo's Capabilities

    Post  Airsoftguy238 on 26.01.10 18:39

    Airsoft atlanta employees know little. They told stanford your gun wont chrono different with different gram bbs
    avatar
    NJSC
    Admin

    Posts : 2646
    Join date : 2008-12-31
    Age : 31
    Location : Buford, GA

    Re: 7.4V LiPo's Capabilities

    Post  NJSC on 26.01.10 19:50

    Aggressor wrote:Another thread concerning an argument I was having with an airsoft atlanta employee, a different one this time. My friend, Blake, has a gun using an M130 spring in it (he gets around 400-410fps), with a 1500-1700mAh 9.6v NiMH battery. He wanted more battery power and longer life, so I suggested he use a 7.4v LiPo battery, said it was preetty much the same output as the 9.6v except smaller and would last longer depending on the mAh value. The airsoft atlanta employee said that a 7.4v LiPo could never pull that spring back, and would be a waste of money. Thoughts/comments?
    2) No profanity. If you can't get your point across without swearing, go sit down with a dictionary and learn some better words. If you have to use profanity because somebody on the internet made you angry, get over it. If you chooses to use profanity or try to bypass the swear filter, you will be banned or suspended.

    boom! that just happened


    _________________
    Boom that just happened.
    avatar
    Kilo

    Posts : 139
    Join date : 2009-03-03
    Location : Peachtree City

    Re: 7.4V LiPo's Capabilities

    Post  Kilo on 26.01.10 20:40

    We have all four AEG's running off of the 7.4 lipo and we have no issues at all. Whoever says that they will not work definitely does not know what they are talking about.
    avatar
    navyseal1000

    Posts : 820
    Join date : 2009-03-27
    Age : 21
    Location : Macon, Georgia

    Re: 7.4V LiPo's Capabilities

    Post  navyseal1000 on 26.01.10 22:14

    NJSC wrote:
    Aggressor wrote:Another thread concerning an argument I was having with an airsoft atlanta employee, a different one this time. My friend, Blake, has a gun using an M130 spring in it (he gets around 400-410fps), with a 1500-1700mAh 9.6v NiMH battery. He wanted more battery power and longer life, so I suggested he use a 7.4v LiPo battery, said it was preetty much the same output as the 9.6v except smaller and would last longer depending on the mAh value. The airsoft atlanta employee said that a 7.4v LiPo could never pull that spring back, and would be a waste of money. Thoughts/comments?
    2) No profanity. If you can't get your point across without swearing, go sit down with a dictionary and learn some better words. If you have to use profanity because somebody on the internet made you angry, get over it. If you chooses to use profanity or try to bypass the swear filter, you will be banned or suspended.

    boom! that just happened

    Paul didn't use profanity
    lol
    avatar
    NJSC
    Admin

    Posts : 2646
    Join date : 2008-12-31
    Age : 31
    Location : Buford, GA

    Re: 7.4V LiPo's Capabilities

    Post  NJSC on 26.01.10 22:45

    bah he changed it...


    _________________
    Boom that just happened.
    avatar
    xplodingbunnys

    Posts : 581
    Join date : 2009-07-11
    Age : 22
    Location : College Park

    Re: 7.4V LiPo's Capabilities

    Post  xplodingbunnys on 26.01.10 23:37

    Every time i have been up to airsoft atlanta. They don't know crap. Most of the employs have always been a little off. If you know what i mean lol.
    avatar
    navyseal1000

    Posts : 820
    Join date : 2009-03-27
    Age : 21
    Location : Macon, Georgia

    Re: 7.4V LiPo's Capabilities

    Post  navyseal1000 on 27.01.10 0:51

    They actually told me that a M110 was too high for a V2 gearbox....can you say a little off?

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: 7.4V LiPo's Capabilities

    Post  Guest on 27.01.10 0:59

    No Nic your just thinking of a completely different post.

    Sponsored content

    Re: 7.4V LiPo's Capabilities

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is 28.03.17 17:34