Metro Atlanta Airsoft

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A network of airsofters in the Metro Atlanta area.

+13
pbslacker
Andy
G force
Admin
Rhino
scooter
NJSC
-a|ex
sniper2525
Retherford
S.M.A.
Twitch
flipa
17 posters

Aiming down sights with both eyes open

flipa
    flipa

Aiming down sights with both eyes open Empty Aiming down sights with both eyes open

Post  flipa 05.12.10 16:01

I see a lot of people aim down sights (airsoft or real steel/iron or some sort of optics) with both eyes open. I try doing it but I get double vision and I see from both eyes. Talking to my uncle about this (he's a big gun nerd), he told me that there are advantages with both eyes open such as a wider view and a better view of just about everything infront of you as opposed to "cheating" and closing one eye.

He recommends that I wear an eye patch next time I play airsoft and make sure that both eyes are open. This will maybe help establish a dominant eye when aiming and it will help.

Any people on here got anything to add up, opinions? advice? And does anyone around here aim with both eyes open?
    Twitch
    Twitch

Aiming down sights with both eyes open Empty Re: Aiming down sights with both eyes open

Post  Twitch 05.12.10 16:15

Yes. It as neccessary otherwise you will lose peripheral vision and often get "tunnel vision" on your target. Also when you shoot with both eyes open you can keep the front lense cover on your scope closed, but still see the dot on your target. I didnt believe it when i first heard it and trust me it works.
    flipa
    flipa

Aiming down sights with both eyes open Empty Re: Aiming down sights with both eyes open

Post  flipa 05.12.10 16:33

Twitch wrote:Yes. It as neccessary otherwise you will lose peripheral vision and often get "tunnel vision" on your target. Also when you shoot with both eyes open you can keep the front lense cover on your scope closed, but still see the dot on your target. I didnt believe it when i first heard it and trust me it works.

It takes some getting used to. It's all what I've been doing all day, getting used to shooting with both eyes open. I see 2 different angles of the sights, but my right eye (right-handed) is already dominant when I try to aim, though it's not a spur of the moment yet, I have to adjust for a couple of seconds before it kicks in.
    S.M.A.
    S.M.A.

Post  S.M.A. 05.12.10 17:42

yeah i do it all of the time it lloks like ur playin cod
    Twitch
    Twitch

Post  Twitch 05.12.10 18:01

S.M.A. wrote:yeah i do it all of the time it lloks like ur playin cod

No one likes codsofters. cod should never be in the same sentence as airsoft.
    Retherford
    Retherford

Post  Retherford 05.12.10 18:12

oh man.... that comment...
    sniper2525
    sniper2525

Post  sniper2525 05.12.10 18:21

wait so if i keep both eyes open i can see better??? dang i guess im guna try that
    S.M.A.
    S.M.A.

Post  S.M.A. 05.12.10 19:53

i no, my friend tries to act like soap when im playing backyard with him...amateur. i was just making an example.
    -a|ex
    -a|ex

Post  -a|ex 05.12.10 19:55

when i did action photography with manual SLR cameras back in college, i got used to using both eyes open. when i started shooting real steel, the habit carried over. it feels odd for me to close one eye for shooting.

-a|ex
    flipa
    flipa

Post  flipa 05.12.10 20:27

S.M.A. wrote:yeah i do it all of the time it lloks like ur playin cod

I haven't even played CoD in what? 5 months?

-a|ex wrote:when i did action photography with manual SLR cameras back in college, i got used to using both eyes open. when i started shooting real steel, the habit carried over. it feels odd for me to close one eye for shooting.

-a|ex

It feels weird and looks weird. I'm starting to get used to it too, I started trying it out with iron sights and compared with optics, and the optics are way easier to try aiming with both eyes.
    NJSC
    NJSC
    Admin

Post  NJSC 05.12.10 21:12

And if you are using telescopic sights probably need to stick with the one eye closed. Wink
    scooter
    scooter

Post  scooter 06.12.10 22:33

sights in airsoft do essentially nothing lol... just point and shoot IMO Laughing
    Rhino
    Rhino

Post  Rhino 06.12.10 22:55

scooter wrote:sights in airsoft do essentially nothing lol... just point and shoot IMO Laughing

Agreed unless it is dark out!
    -a|ex
    -a|ex

Post  -a|ex 06.12.10 23:04

i disagree. here's a video of my son's first airsoft gun. he normally shoots real steel and just finished zero'ing out the scope. this is before we knew about hopup (it was off). you can see the bb's drop at 75ft.
    since we shoot real steel, accuracy with semi only was a habit. but when using full auto, we never bothered using the scope.

-a|ex
    NJSC
    NJSC
    Admin

Post  NJSC 06.12.10 23:48

One of the reasons that sights are almost useless (save for looking super cool) is the wind. Should a gust of wind come up it can throw your bb off target by feet.
    -a|ex
    -a|ex

Post  -a|ex 07.12.10 0:10

NJSC wrote:One of the reasons that sights are almost useless (save for looking super cool) is the wind. Should a gust of wind come up it can throw your bb off target by feet.

having a zero'd in sight/optics saves on expensive bbs... those that can't aim, sprays. lol!

-a|ex
    flipa
    flipa

Post  flipa 07.12.10 0:24

On some occasions I do ignore sights since I can see my BBs fly anyway and just line it up. Though on some occasions, I do try to aim the least just for the heck of saying "I hit you first try" or some crap like that.

Now for CQB, EOTech>>>>>Iron Sights. I've played mostly with a EOTech replica and felt comfortable that I will and did hit targets, though when I played once on iron sights, it felt awkward. Iron sights don't really appeal to me functionally talking. They're harder to peek through than any optics.

People I've known that use optics in airsoft and uses it effectively, 2 people stand out off the top of my mind. Sgt. Anderson and Poopdaddy.
    Rhino
    Rhino

Post  Rhino 07.12.10 0:56

-a|ex wrote:
    NJSC wrote:One of the reasons that sights are almost useless (save for looking super cool) is the wind. Should a gust of wind come up it can throw your bb off target by feet.

having a zero'd in sight/optics saves on expensive bbs... those that can't aim, sprays. lol!

-a|ex

@ about .00325 cents per bb I don't find that being expensive.
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin 07.12.10 0:58

Rhino wrote:

Unless you're shooting Bioval BBBMAX .27's. Which are amazing BTW.
    Rhino
    Rhino

Post  Rhino 07.12.10 2:57

Admin wrote:
    Rhino wrote:

Unless you're shooting Bioval BBBMAX .27's. Which are amazing BTW.

Yeah they are expensive but I still dont find them too expensive where I need to preserve ammo at .00864 cents per bb
    -a|ex
    -a|ex

Post  -a|ex 07.12.10 3:39

i was joking about the cost of bb's... i usually spend around $40 a week on bb's. one month, i spent over $200 on bb's (wife saw the credit card bill). the kid's friends used up 4 bags in one day (full auto without optics). now i tell them semi only and make each shot count.

-a|ex
    G force
    G force

Post  G force 07.12.10 10:49

For me shooting a air soft gun is much like the way i shoot a real steel shotgun or pistol with both eyes open. Both eyes open has a lot of advantages as others have posted already. For me it seems to help shoot the target faster, lead a target ( although leading a target in airsoft is differnt than real steel, the bbs curve with your movement so you have to lead father in front of your target), and engage other targets quicker. Heres a training tip if you are interested. My sons and i do this and we are realy good shooters if i had to brag. Start with your pistol. Use the proper two handed grip. I belive that a good shot starts with your hand. I know this may sound wierd but bear with me. Take your finger out of the trigger well and point along side the gun with it, if you keep your wrist locked with your arm that is where you bullet will go. When you engage another target both shoulders will move with your arms and you will turn at the waist. Don't belive me yet... go set up 4-5 targets spead out at some differnt distances and pratice for 20-30min keeping proper form and both eyes open. Try it on the move also. When you get proficient with the pistol change over to your rifle. With proper form your rifle becomes part of your arm and shoulder and your upper body moves together. Take your optic off for now and use sort burst on the differnt targets. Once you get confortable with that pratice with your optic. Optics kinda mess me up in airsoft but that probably just me. I know this sounds kinda elementary but it has worked for me and my boys. I could have been a littel more detailed but this post is long enough already.lol
    G force
    G force

Post  G force 07.12.10 10:56

note to the above post you will have to put your finger back on the trigger to shoot. lol
    Rhino
    Rhino

Post  Rhino 07.12.10 14:24

-a|ex wrote:i was joking about the cost of bb's... i usually spend around $40 a week on bb's. one month, i spent over $200 on bb's (wife saw the credit card bill). the kid's friends used up 4 bags in one day (full auto without optics). now i tell them semi only and make each shot count.

-a|ex

I know you spend a lot on bb's as most of your family plays right along with you. Most people only have to support the habit for one person not 4+! I wish I could get my other half to play with me.
    Andy
    Andy

Post  Andy 08.12.10 20:00

Hello, I'm Andy, and I'm an optics user.

I've been using them for.....a long time with Uncle Sam so that is what I know. If zero'd right I find that I pick up targets much faster. I also love them at night. Nothing like putting that red dot on a target that doesn't see you, and BAM!!!!!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is 19.04.24 0:46