Metro Atlanta Airsoft

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A network of airsofters in the Metro Atlanta area.

+12
just some kid
ownage1
Jaguar12airsoft
fallout11
wolf six
Rhino
Newnan Airsoft Player
Bulldog94
-a|ex
flipa
savoy6
Silent_Option
16 posters

California SB 798 "Cop Killer Bill" --- Help Wanted

Silent_Option
    Silent_Option

California SB 798 "Cop Killer Bill" --- Help Wanted Empty California SB 798 "Cop Killer Bill" --- Help Wanted

Post  Silent_Option 10.05.11 10:50

I think we should join the opposition of this bill. Most suppliers for the airsoft community in the US are in California, but if it's passed there it won't stop there.

Airsoft is once again under attack in California with the proposal of a new California Bill SB798 that will require all airsoft guns to be colored entirely in a bright color. Obviously, if this law is passed, it will be detrimental for airsoft Milsim and Reenactment enthusiasts in California where we are probably the largest and one of the most active Milsim communities in the country. Additionally and more importantly, we know that, in Airsoft Extreme's more than ten years of airsoft retailing experience, making airsoft guns more toy-like in appearance may have the opposite effect in safety awareness among young users, their parents, or new users unfamiliar with airsoft or general gun safety. Airsoft Extreme has ALWAYS advocated safety awareness via our written notices as well as our new buyer safety orientation at our stores by our staff.

The national airsoft industry is unanimously against CA Bill SB798 and are contacting the California state government to voice their opposition to this bill in support of California airsoft enthusiasts. Attached are official responses to the legislation by some of the largest and most respected airsoft distributors in the industry. However, this is not enough. YOU, the airsoft player, need to make YOUR voice heard in this argument. At the bottom of this announcement is the contact information for the California State Senator, Kevin de Leon, who drafted this bill. Please contact him and your local state representative to make your voice heard against this bill!
    What is SB 798?

California SB 798 -
    In short, wanted all the bb gun, pallet gun, airsoft gun, paintball guns in California to be completely orange, pink, yellow, white, blue or green.
    By doing so, SB 798 will help law enforcement identify what is real and what is not real when it comes to fire-arms or replica fire-arms.

SB 798 Bill
    (http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/11-12/bill/sen/sb_0751-0800/sb_798_cfa_20110427_154959_sen_comm.html)

It is referred as the "Cop Killer Bill" because it is forcing our law enforcement personnels to second guess a weapon merely due to it's color.
    The bill quoted an unfortunate incident that happened at 7:50pm December 2011. The "motion to draw" and "disobeying law enforcement" caused the miss-fortunate. Isn't it clearly an parenting issue? Bad people can get into trouble with a rock or a fork.
    Lets paint all the "replicas" pink so we know they are not real?
    Real Fire-arms are painted into many different colors. Try Google.
    If you are outside of California, this is "your business" because it will spread and effect your tax money and freedom.
    Airsoft guns are sold strictly to adults over the age of 18. If a mother of a 13 year old lets her son borrow her car, we need to ban cars?

SB 798 will accomplish nothing but "spend more of our tax money."

Painting replicas orange or pink will not stop bad parenting and stupidity!!

What can you, as an Airsofter, do to help?

Remind other Airsofters about Airsoft safety, respect and responsibilities.
    Show the law makers what Airsoft is all about! Airsoft Mil-Sim and Reenactment gaming are build upon the virtue of safety, honor, respect and integrity.
    By quoting wikipedia in the bill, we are clear that this proposed bill is a result of lack of communication and understanding of the sport of Airsoft.
    Airsoft is becoming one of today's most popular sport enjoyed by millions of us and Airsoft guns aren't toys sold to minors.

1) Spread the words to every PD and friends of PD about the "Cop killer bill". It is clear that "pink" does not distinguish "real" or "replica".
    2) Call the numbers below and your local representative and let them know what you know about Airsoft and your thoughts on SB 798.
    3) Fill out the petition letter here and fax / email / mail it to our senator. LETTER TO OUR LEGISLATORS
    4) Contact your district representatives to vote "NO" on SB 798. Locate their contact info here: http://www.legislature.ca.gov/port-zipsearch.html
    4) Remind other Airsofters about Airsoft safety, respect and responsibilities.
    5) Remind other Airsofters about Airsoft safety, respect and responsibilities (very important).

Contact information for State Senator Kevin de Leon (bill sponsor)
    Sacramento Office:
    Sentaor Kevin de Leon
    California State Capitol
    Room 5108
    Sacramento, CA 94248
    916-651-4022

Los Angeles Office:
    Senator Kevin de Leon
    617 S. Olive St.
    Suite 710
    Los Angeles, CA 90014
    213-612-9566

Bill Status: http://leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/postquery?bill_number=sb_798&sess=CUR&house=S
    Bill Analysis: http://capinsider.com/node/240
    List of California State Senators: http://senate.ca.gov/senators?order=field_senator_district_value&sort=asc
    Facebook Group / Info on SB 798: https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/pages/No-On-California-SB-798/220859654597216
    State Senate District Zip Code Directory: http://senate.ca.gov/sites/senate.ca.gov/files/SD02_ZIP_CODE_ORDER.PDF
    NRA Response to SB 798: http://nramemberscouncils.com/legs.shtml?summary=sb798&year=2011
    Spartan Import Response to SB 798: http://www.airsoftpost.com/flash/images/SB798spartan.pdf
    Crosman Response to SB 798 http://www.airsoftpost.com/flash/images/SB798crosman.pdf
    SoftAir USA Response to SB 798:http://www.airsoftpost.com/flash/images/SB798softair.pdf

Join Face book discussion

California SB 798 "Cop Killer Bill" --- Help Wanted Empty Re: California SB 798 "Cop Killer Bill" --- Help Wanted

Post  Guest 10.05.11 14:08

So, what exactly happened during the "miss-fortunate" occurrence with the police officer that resulted in the so named "Cop Killer Bill"?
    Silent_Option
    Silent_Option

California SB 798 "Cop Killer Bill" --- Help Wanted Empty Re: California SB 798 "Cop Killer Bill" --- Help Wanted

Post  Silent_Option 10.05.11 14:26

....The bill quoted an unfortunate incident that happened at 7:50pm December 2011....

This event has yet to be determined. Razz

I think they meant 2010 and referring to this story

-----LAPD officer wounds youth wielding pellet gun

On a dark Glassell Park street, he thought he was being threatened with a real pistol. The victim and two other teens were playing with realistic-looking toy guns.
    December 19, 2010|By Scott Glover, Los Angeles Times
    An apparent game in which teenagers armed with pellet guns shot at one another on a dark Glassell Park street took a tragic turn when a Los Angeles police officer fired on one of the youths because he thought he was being threatened with a real handgun, police said.

Officer Victor Abarca and his partner were on patrol in the LAPD's Northeast Division at 7:50 p.m. Thursday when they saw three people standing in the 3000 block of North Verdugo Road and stopped to investigate.

All three ran as the police stopped their patrol car. Abarca, a three-year veteran, encountered one of the participants standing behind a parked van on the side of the street, police said.

Judging from the person's size — 5 feet 7 and 200 pounds, according to police — Abarca believed he was a young adult.

The officer shined his flashlight on him and gave commands for him to surrender, according to an LAPD news release.

At that point, "the subject refused to comply with the officers' commands and instead produced what was later determined to be a replica Beretta 92F handgun," the release states.

Abarca, unable to see the orange tip of the gun's barrel that distinguishes it as a replica, shot and wounded what turned out to be a 13-year-old boy, police said.

The news release did not say whether the teen pointed the pellet gun at the officer. But Lt. John Romero, a police spokesman, said the youth pulled the gun from his clothing in a motion consistent with drawing a weapon.

Police said the unidentified boy was hit once in the upper torso. He underwent surgery at a local hospital, where he was listed in stable but critical condition as of Friday night. Police had no update on his condition Saturday.

In the aftermath of the shooting, Abarca and his partner were shocked to learn that two of the three people they encountered were 13 years old and the other was 14, police officials said.

"This is a tragedy for all involved, but in particular for the young man injured in this police shooting and for the officer who believed he was protecting himself and his partner from a real threat," LAPD Chief Charlie Beck said in a statement.

Beck noted that the replica gun was the same dimensions as a Beretta 92 F and was "indistinguishable from a real handgun on a dark night."

"We have seen far too much heartbreak involving these types of realistic guns that are labeled as toys," Beck said.

Magdalena Carrasco, 59, who owns a home in the block where the shooting occurred, said she has seen neighborhood kids playing with fake guns and agrees with police that there's no way to tell the difference in the heat of the moment.

"I don't blame the police," she said. "They need to protect their lives. It's a normal reaction."

Carrasco said the shooting was a tragedy, but also questioned what kids that age were doing playing with fake guns on the street after dark.

"They should be doing their homework," she said.

He asked for it.

IMO The bill just takes away from airsofters and does NOT fix the problem.

Duracoat makes a ton of different colors to paint your guns, and easy to apply. The police would have to make the same decisions.

Exhibit A
    California SB 798 "Cop Killer Bill" --- Help Wanted Pinkgl10

Ask yourself if this is real or not, and you would be dead before you knew the answer.
    savoy6
    savoy6

Post  savoy6 10.05.11 14:48

He asked for it

exactly.....though i will say that cali ,for the most part, has the largest group of people that have absolutely no experience with guns..whatsoever...so to them, everything is either a glock or an AK....that, and they usually will vote for the most restrictive legislation possible as per guns because of that lack of experience ......
    flipa
    flipa

Post  flipa 10.05.11 17:05

So if I spray paint a real M4 pink then it's an airsoft gun?
    -a|ex
    -a|ex

Post  -a|ex 10.05.11 18:41

the bill makers really don't understand that cops will still shoot someone with a pink gun...
    Bulldog94
    Bulldog94

Post  Bulldog94 10.05.11 19:21

Not to get into a political discussion but this just another attempt by the liberals to tackle real/replica firearms.
    Newnan Airsoft Player
    Newnan Airsoft Player

Post  Newnan Airsoft Player 10.05.11 20:14

California is one of the most liberal hippy smoking states in out country.. There always looking for crap to stir up when it comes to non-liberal views especially when it comes to anything gun related. This gives them leverage of course as some dumb kid brandished a toy gun in front of a cop in the middle of the night and suprisingly getting himself killed. California is in deep debt, because of there constant mandates/limits/restrictions on businesses,products,etc etc etc... making companies and businesses in CA have to pay more taxes which of course they just pass down to the customer. CA partially legallizing weed for example is just another desperate way for CA to tax something. I say just let them ban the toy guns and see how far they get with it. I gurantee you if this lib-s**t gets thru they are going to be in a way deeper whole then were they are now, especially since of the huge airsoft retailers all located near the port of Long Beach, were I believe most if not all airsoft guns are imported to the United States. And in the end when there in more debt then the can believe they'll just go back crying to Obama for some more bail-out money, further contributing to our debt. Its good all around.
    savoy6
    savoy6

Post  savoy6 10.05.11 20:17

Bulldog94 wrote:Not to get into a political discussion but this just another attempt by the liberals to tackle real/replica firearms.

exactly....hence the quote from LAPD...
    "We have seen far too much heartbreak involving these types of realistic guns that are labeled as toys,"
    though no one seems to want to address the issue of why these kids were allowed to have these guns in a 18+ for purchase state?and were running around a public street with them?.....the neighbor had a point...
    Rhino
    Rhino

Post  Rhino 10.05.11 22:29

Hell the kid deserved to be shot but that doesnt mean lets banned airsoft!
    wolf six

Post  wolf six 10.05.11 22:47

Silent_Option wrote:

Duracoat makes a ton of different colors to paint your guns, and easy to apply. The police would have to make the same decisions.

Exhibit A
    California SB 798 "Cop Killer Bill" --- Help Wanted Pinkgl10

Ask yourself if this is real or not, and you would be dead before you knew the answer.

Its real, diamondback? right?

I also second the motion of opposing the bill

if y'all haven't seen it already

https://2img.net/h/i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo153/shvrider/journalist_guns_2.jpg
    Silent_Option
    Silent_Option

Post  Silent_Option 10.05.11 23:52

If you point a gun at me real or not doesn't matter what color it is, my first thought is this person is trying to kill me and I WILL take action with the intent to kill him/her first. Cops will continue the same rules and procedures to follow doesn't matter what color you make them or what color the perp paints it. When there is one action that separates you from life or death you have to be first to act.
    fallout11
    fallout11

Post  fallout11 13.05.11 11:03

In the past people there are documented cases of people being shot by the police for wielding/carrying cell phones, remote controls, pagers, calculators, camcorders, and pretty much anything else you can think of. Changing the color of airsoft guns solves nothing.
    Jaguar12airsoft
    Jaguar12airsoft

Post  Jaguar12airsoft 13.05.11 13:35

Oright guys, this is a long one, but i needed to get all this out...

They may not be firearms, but how many of you know that airsoft guns are considered weapons in GA? This is exactly why i treat them as if they were real steel and also why we offer training courses at my field.

We give ALL new players here a crash course of weapons safety, free of charge, and is mandatory before they are even allowed to play at my field. Anyone who's been to my field will tell you we dont mess around and we get on everyones *** about keeping their fingers off the trigger and other gun safety aspects. We also offer an advanced training course. All this in an effort to keep our sport/hobby form getting a bad reputation.

And i very much agree with fallout. Hell you dont even have to brandish a weapon (or any item used to replicate a weapon for matter) from getting put on ice. Keeping your hands in your pockets or under your shirt is enough to make some rookie/edgy cop blow your head off.

The best thing that they could have done is treat these weapons as if there are actual firearms. Not make them look like toys, which they are not. Whats going to happen when you paint them bright colors? Parents are going think they are toys, be more willing to buy them for their kids, and will NOT supervise them as they play, especially in places they should.

NO need to bright colors or even orange tips for that matter. My reasoning?

I have a RRA LAR-15. I can paint the flash hider bright orange and bam, its a airsoft gun. I can remove the orange tip from my A&K m249 SAW and go rob a bank.

Airsoft guns should be treated like real steel. Thats how I threat them at my field, and the locals/police have no problems with us at all, even with our parking lot area being right next to a neighborhood. Locals just waive at us, police just drive on by us and if they ever do stop, its just to say hi. Why? No one acting like idiots, we have strict rules in place, and overall- we arent playing in the neighborhood- infact we solved the problems of kids playing in the neighborhoods next to us by giving them a place to play.

Another serious issue that needs to be addressed is letting the public know more about airsoft and stop being so secretive about it. People fear what they dont understand. We need to get out and promote airsoft more.

Field owners/staff members- talk to the parents of the kids who play at your field. Ask them if they really understand how dangerous airsoft can be if their child misuses these weapons. Start teaching these kids proper gun safety instead of just taking their money and let them run around on your field.

Store owners, i know you have a business to run, but you guys gotta start making sure parents know what they are getting into before you sell their 12 year old a CYMA ak47.

Team leaders/teammates, sign up for training courses. Learn some stuff online if you have to. Stop playing in neighborhoods or places that you arent allowed to be playing in and go to a properly run field.

Im not saying no one isnt taking any steps to make airsoft safer, but you guys really need to try harder than this. If SB798 goes into effect, and if it starts being adopted by other states, there is no one to blame but yourselves. You waited until it was too late. SB 798 pops up and all of a sudden people want to take measures to keep it from passing.

The first steps that should have been taken were for stores to enforce not selling to anyone under 18, and for parents who are buying weapons for a minor to be warned of the dangers that can arise from misusing airsoft guns and overall for parents to use common sense and recognize these are not toys.

The second steps are for local fields to promote themselves more, for parents to get off their butts and take their kids to these fields and help persuade kids from playing in areas they shouldnt.

3rd steps is for fields to and even the players themselves to start teaching/learning proper gun safety.

I hear rumors all the time from people who think i dont know what im doing, or that im stupid, or that my rules i have set for my field are outrageous, or that my team is just a bunch of kids playing in some woods and calling ourselves an airsoft field, or that we're just some small dog that keeps making alot of noise, oh and my favorite: "Itz justa airSOFT guun, Y u treat it likes ItZ r3al???????!!!??!" and then 5 minutes later, they squeeze off a round into themselves or their friend because their safety wasnt on and their finger was on the trigger.

Keep on talking crap about me, my field, and my team. We're not the one sitting on my butt thinking that sending some fancy letters that oppose SB798 is going to solve the problem. We havent and will not sign any letter opposing this bill because it'll make the situation worse because airsofters will start getting comfortable and not take better measures to prevent bills like this from even needing to be discussed, such as offering training and getting more strict on the rules of airsoft.

I am crazy. Not stupid. Im not afraid to break out of the norm and try new things. Im not afraid to speak my mind when things need to be said.

I'm not trying to talk anyone down or brag, but Its a damn shame no other field that i know of in GA offers the kind of advanced training we have at my field, especially the ones who've been around for years. We had plans our Airsoft Development and Training Course over a year ago when we first opened up to the public, long before any of this news of SB798.

This training course is effective. Very effective. My 9 year old cousin had no more than 2 hours of training in this course, and what has he learned?

*keeping his finger off the trigger until hes ready to shoot
    *mags out when he's not in combat
    *he's also learned to check his fire to ensure he's not engaging a target he does not intend to shoot.
    *he's learned not to go around "flagging" people also.

I hadn't done anymore training with him since that time, and 3 weeks later during a demonstration, I handed him a MP5. Real Steel, fully loaded. When we grabbed the gun, he kept his finger off the trigger, his weapon pointed to the ground. When I had him aiming down range, his finger was still off the trigger, both eyes open to avoid tunnel vision because he was not shooting, AND with a hot weapon remind you, I walked into his line of sight. What did he do? He immediately lowered his weapon until i was out of his way.

The parents and police officer who were watching were floored. 2 hours of training he received 3 weeks ago made him a better airsoft player. 2 hours.... just imagine what you can get out of the 20+ hours i offer in my fields training course. It is very simple stuff you can teach kids, especially the younger one who are eager and willing to learn that'll benefit airsoft.

I also would like to mention he practices on his own. He runs around with a nerf gun in his house, practicing what he's learn, and even teaching his little friends basic gun safety. He wont even practice outside at his house, even with a nerf gun, because he remembers i told him playing in neighborhoods is dangerous.

Simple stuff that could have and should have been done long ago guys.

With that said, i have 23 kids lined up for my training classes in June and July. The guys at On Target tell me all the time they have parents who ask where their kids can learn proper gun safety. So far, they can only send them my way to Camp Creek Woodlands Airsoft Field.

Obviously, there is a market for it.

Come talk to me or some of the guys from Dagger Unit who are helping out with my Airsoft Development and Training Course, get on board with what we are trying to accomplish to keep future SB798's from happening. Take part in the training, help train, start sending new players our way if you have to.

http://ccw-airsoft.webs.com/airsoftdeveloptraining.htm

-----------

Too Long, Didnt Read? Stop being lazy and read it. Important information has been discussed.
    ownage1
    ownage1

Post  ownage1 13.05.11 16:41

Jaguar12airsoft wrote:
    The best thing that they could have done is treat these weapons as if there are actual firearms. Not make them look like toys, which they are not.

Airsoft guns should be treated like real steel

Another serious issue that needs to be addressed is letting the public know more about airsoft and stop being so secretive about it. People fear what they dont understand. We need to get out and promote airsoft more.

i completely agree. too many injuries happen because of people undermining the seriousness of BB guns, airsoft guns, and 22 rifles. as if they don't need the same cautious behavior a regular rifle or pistol needs.
    "People fear what they dont understand. We need to get out and promote airsoft more." it's like you stole the words right out of my mouth.
    -a|ex
    -a|ex

Post  -a|ex 13.05.11 21:28

i don't treat my airsoft guns like my real firearms.
    just some kid
    just some kid

Post  just some kid 13.05.11 22:35

airsoft guns should be treated like real guns in the way where you don't go walking out in public waving them around and what not. as for safety...well what is the gun made for? to shoot people for fun....if Rhino wants his kid to play with a toy gun then i don't see the problem. i imagine that by the time he's going to other friends houses then he'd know the difference between real and fake and not to play with real guns. and when he says that his kid plays with it i don't think he means he plays with it on a regular basis. i don't think that the airsoft gun would be in the kids toy box what about you? I do agree that somehow we should educate people more about our sport. If some average person sees a bunch of people runnning around with these guns then i could see how they'd get worried. And i'm pretty sure just about any other officer would'vew shot the kid too if he'd have pointed the gun at him. these guns look real enough when you're holding them let alone from a distance.
    Rhino
    Rhino

Post  Rhino 13.05.11 22:42

Agreed and I can pull a cell phone out of my pocket on a dark night when commands are being given to me and I would bet Id be shot too! Reach in your pocket and yank something out and see what happens! I do work on a daily basis with LE's from local, state and feds and I know what will happen! and I don't just mean selling them items. I do training, help with training, and have been trained. I've been through Swat school, worked side by side with the US Marshals, MARTA, Atlanta Swat, Fayette SWAT, and many others.
    -a|ex
    -a|ex

Post  -a|ex 13.05.11 22:58

let's keep it on topic. airsoft guns are toys... pellet guns aren't. since airsoft guns replicate the appearance of real guns, that doesn't mean they should be treated like real guns. kids should not be playing with real guns and need to distinguish the two. the california bill is a reflection of that state's mentality. their gun control laws are one of the worse in the nation. how can you keep a home defense gun if it's not accessible? keep it away from kids? are you kidding me? i hope my kids put a few holes into any home invading crack heads. if you trust your kids not to use a steak knife to cut their friends up with, then most likely, they won't use your real firearms to play airsoft.

airsoft training simulating firearms training is a feel good kneejerk response just like the california bill. i would rather see real firearm safety instead of replica training. basic common sense training should be taught to kids. don't point anything at cops. use safety goggles, even with nerf guns. don't run into other peoples yards. don't throw rocks at windows. respect other people's property. all these will do more than specific airsoft safety training.

Last edited by -a|ex on 13.05.11 23:01; edited 1 time in total
    -a|ex
    -a|ex

Post  -a|ex 13.05.11 23:05

vote republican... the cali bill is being passed by democrats. not enough republicans to stop the bill.
    there was one democrat that voted against it. awesome.
    AK-Andrew
    AK-Andrew

Post  AK-Andrew 13.05.11 23:24

Speaking of pellet guns...back in the day we kids ran all over the neighborhoods playing war. Camo head to toe, facepaint...the guns looked and were real enough...and nobody said a word unless a window got shot out.

Now the whole society is so uptight and p*ussified that nobody can fart without being accused of a crime.

Im not saying airsoft guns in public is right. No way. Not now.
    -a|ex
    -a|ex

Post  -a|ex 14.05.11 1:21

back on topic...

sux 2 live in Cali.
    Jaguar12airsoft
    Jaguar12airsoft

Post  Jaguar12airsoft 14.05.11 1:25

LOL indeed.
    savoy6
    savoy6

Post  savoy6 14.05.11 1:31

especially given that Cali has the largest AS community of any state.....
    Newnan Airsoft Player
    Newnan Airsoft Player

Post  Newnan Airsoft Player 14.05.11 8:33

As far as the Cali Bill goes, I mean if any state was gunna do something like this it'd be california, so don't act all bent out of shape that it happened/happening. All airsoft enthusiasts should do their best part in showing their disapproval of the bill. If california does for some dumb reason pass this bill it'll put them in a deeper whole, and it, in my opinion will be returned to normal over time, unless the governer gets ahold of some of that medical marijuana.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is 19.04.24 5:00