Metro Atlanta Airsoft

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A network of airsofters in the Metro Atlanta area.

+11
Andy
wolf six
NJSC
Admin
poopdaddy
Bulldog94
reconsniperga
Ghost
-a|ex
just some kid
Twitch
15 posters

Twitch's definitive guide to everything tactical! (PICTURE HEAVY)

Twitch
    Twitch

Twitch's definitive guide to everything tactical! (PICTURE HEAVY) Empty Twitch's definitive guide to everything tactical! (PICTURE HEAVY)

Post  Twitch 21.07.11 20:41

So I see a lot of threads about "Which vest is better?" or "What are the best boots?" or "Whats a good lightweight rig?". Well, being the tactical gear whore that I am (I can and will beat anyone on this forum in quantities and experience with gear, except maybe SFC Anderson and Admin. MAYBE). I dont have time to do this all at once, so I will update it with a new topic as I get time.

So lets start off!

Camouflage

So You wanna get a new camo pattern eh? Maybe its because you got tired of your old one, maybe your old pair ripped and your looking for something fresh. Maybe your like me and for reasons unknown you decided YOU HAD TO HAVE IT.

First, what type of environment are you planning on using this pattern in? Thick Vegetation? Pine Forest? Urban Environment? Multi Terrain pattern? Obviously your environment determines what type of pattern you need to wear, BUT, flat colored gear (Coyote Brown, Ranger Green, etc) when combined with some patterns can make them more effective, and as such can make them work in some environments most people would not consider wearing them in. On a basic level, this is how many Common camo patterns break down (Jacked from Paul's "Principles of Camo" thread from a LOOOONG time ago).

Woodland BDU [dark colors including OD, Black, and Tan, all in equal amount]: effective in dark and heavy vegetation, tend to fade with time and can be too dark for some environments
    Twitch's definitive guide to everything tactical! (PICTURE HEAVY) DSC03078

Digital Woodland (MARPAT)[dark colors including Forest Green, Loath, and Earth Brown, ]: effective in medium to dark vegetation in a variety of densities of terrain, still too dark for some areas, don't fade easily
    Twitch's definitive guide to everything tactical! (PICTURE HEAVY) 8690

Digital Desert (Desert Marpart) [Desert Sand, Coyote Brown, Khaki]: Works well in open fields of tall brown grass, also works well in the winter when dead leaves are on the ground. However, it is Primarily used in desert areas (Obviously!) Does not work well in areas with heavy green vegetation. Fades Pretty easily.
    Twitch's definitive guide to everything tactical! (PICTURE HEAVY) USMC_Digital_Dessert_upper

MultiCam (Brown, Tan, Cream, Green, OD, and Coyote Brown) : effective in a wide variety of environments, including all levels of vegetation color and density as well as well as being one of few patterns to boast an acceptance in urban settings, can be a bit too light for very dark vegetation (ex.setting up next to a dark tree can offset you from the environment)
    Twitch's definitive guide to everything tactical! (PICTURE HEAVY) Multicam-BDU-shirt4

Woodland TigerStripe (Dark Greens, Browns, and Black): effective in very thick and dark vegetation, ineffective in lightly vegetated areas and spotted much more easily than other types of camouflage
    Twitch's definitive guide to everything tactical! (PICTURE HEAVY) 4621

DigitalX: same color scheme as MultiCam with the advantages of the digital pattern, however, not much difference in performance
    Twitch's definitive guide to everything tactical! (PICTURE HEAVY) 172697_ts

ATACS (Cream, Brown, Coyote Brown, Desert Sand, Khaki, small amounts of green): A new pattern, ATACs using a sponging effect to create a unique "Pattern within a pattern". It works well in Urban areas,mountain areas with lots of rocks and gravel, in desert environments, and areas with lots of shadows and cover. Does not work well in open areas with green vegetation (ex: Green grass field with occasional bushes or trees)
    Twitch's definitive guide to everything tactical! (PICTURE HEAVY) ACU_Coat_ATACS

These are the most common patterns, and if you have questions about other patterns just ask! I am not to familiar with Russian camo, but I am familiar with most patterns used by NATO forces (MTP, DPM, Italian Vegetato, AOR1, AOR2, flecktarn, and a few others). You will notice I left out UCP (commonly refereed to as ACU). As many of you know, I am not a fan of UCP, and I shouldn't have to tell anybody that it is a pretty useless pattern unless you are playing in the middle of a desert or if you are playing CQB (In which case your camo doesn't really matter most of the time)

Think you have things figured out right? Guess again NOOB!!

You see, there are these things called Flat Colors, and they can be combined with camo patterns to camouflage yourself more effectively.

Some of the more common Flat Colors are (In order from Dark Greens to Light colors to Dark Browns): Olive Drab (OD), Ranger Green, Foliage Green, Desert Sand, Khaki, Coyote Brown.

Pretty much any flat color can be worn with any Camo pattern. Honestly. However, there are certain colors that work best with certain patterns

Woodland: OD, Ranger Green, Khaki, and Coyote Brown all work well.

Digital Woodland: OD, Khaki, and Coyote Brown

Digital Desert: Coyote Brown, Khaki,

Multicam: Any flat color works very well with MC

Woodland Tigerstripe: OD, Coyote Brown

Digi X: Same as MC

ATACS: Ranger Green, Desert Sand, Khaki, Coyote Brown.

Flat colors allow you to mix and match to better transition from one environment to the next. They also can be used with almost any pattern, which makes them very valuable (Especially in assault packs, vests, and pouches) Here are some examples of Mixed gear:

Scenario 1: Multicam bottoms will work very well with an OD or Ranger Green Top in Ga. The bottoms will better blend in with the stumps, sticks, grass, and other random forest foliage on the wood floor, while the OD/RG top will blend in very well with the leaves of trees and bushes and branches and what not.

Scenario 2: Say you are playing in a Pine Forest, with lots of Brown pine needles on the ground, but a lot of green pine trees as well. You could wear Coyote Brown Bottoms with an OD Top, and that would be an extremely effective color combination for that environment.

Here are some pics of Flat gear with Camo patterns.

This pic shows a Ranger Green top with ranger Green gear, as well as Multicam bottoms.
    Twitch's definitive guide to everything tactical! (PICTURE HEAVY) 226360_10150199994933535_509768534_7139752_4078606_n

This pic shows Woodland Top and Bottoms with Khaki gear.
    Twitch's definitive guide to everything tactical! (PICTURE HEAVY) 263011_233842753302211_100000294636830_943018_120930_n

Headgear

So You need something for your head do ya? Excellent choice. Even in airsoft, headgear is important (if nothing else then just to keep the sun off you). But some of you dont want to settle for a regular patrol cap and you want something different.

Well you can go the regular route and get a Tactical Ball cap. Not much to say about this. I have them, I use them, and they keep the sun out of your face. They are lightweight and they breathe very well. Ball Caps come in many different colors/patterns and they usually have velcro on them. They are very cheap, you can get some ballcaps for as low as 6 bucks, while nice balls caps (made of mesh, better material) are around 20-25 dollars.
    Twitch's definitive guide to everything tactical! (PICTURE HEAVY) SKD.201-2T

Another route to go is the Boonie. This is my favorite headgear to use. Boonies keep the sun off your face and your neck, as well as Being lightweight and breathable. They break up the outline of your head, and they reduce the overall shine of your face due to the brim being so wide and going all the way around the hat. Boonies cost around 10-15 dollars.
    Twitch's definitive guide to everything tactical! (PICTURE HEAVY) Mcboonieedit

Some people use shemaghs as their headgear. Shemaghs are useful face covers, can be used as neck warmers, and come in a Variety of colors and patterns. they can be very hot however, and usually fog up goggles or glasses if one wears them to play airsoft in. Shemaghs cost between 6-12 dollars.
    Twitch's definitive guide to everything tactical! (PICTURE HEAVY) Images%5C22997

Helmets

There are many types of helmets available to the airsoft player, from replica's, to bump models, to the real deal. They are also many different types (ACH, Protecs, FAST Helmets, etc.) Helmets also come in a variety of colors and patterns, although most people paint helmets to a color scheme of their choice.

ACH/MICH2000 - is the current model of ballistics helmet issued to the US Armed Forces and to some other NATO units.What the helmet is made of/ what the helmet is padded with depends on the quality of helmet you get. ACH's are able to accept most modern NGV mounts as well as helmet lights and helmet Rails. It is also one of the few helmets that allows the wearer to wear both the helmet and a communications headset. Replica's run anywhere from 25-100 dollars, while real helmets run anywhere from 200 (used) to 400.
    Twitch's definitive guide to everything tactical! (PICTURE HEAVY) Mich_tc_2000_04

IBH - The IBH is Very Similar to the MICH 2000. It does have a big difference however. The IBH was designed for use with Communications headsets in mind, and as such has ear cups cutaway from the helmet to allow for headsets such as PELTOR's. This gives the helmet an overall lower profile and lighter weight while sacrificing some ballistic coverage. IBH replica's cost anywhere from 35-120 dollars.
    Twitch's definitive guide to everything tactical! (PICTURE HEAVY) Glossar_ibh

Protec offers a lightweight, easily affordable bump helmet to the tactical community. They differ only slightly from their recreational models, and usually come with a rail system. They are very breathable, which makes them good for hot summer games.
    Twitch's definitive guide to everything tactical! (PICTURE HEAVY) 100_3331b

OPS CORE FAST Helmets are relatively new. Although their are no replica models currently, Opscore does offer a lightweight, polymer bump helmet available to buyers for about 250 USD, while the Actual ballistic helmet retails for around 1,000 USD. Fast Helmets are lightweight, low profile helmets that come with rails and a VAS shroud as an NVG mount. The bump models however, come with an integrated NVG mount. Like the IBH, they also feature cutouts for communication headsets. These helmets are highly favored by the Special Forces community, and other Specialty units around the world. Twitch's definitive guide to everything tactical! (PICTURE HEAVY) Fast-helmet-navy-seals

NEXT TIME WE TALK ABOUT BOOTS!

Last edited by Twitch on 23.07.11 18:38; edited 1 time in total
    just some kid
    just some kid

Twitch's definitive guide to everything tactical! (PICTURE HEAVY) Empty Re: Twitch's definitive guide to everything tactical! (PICTURE HEAVY)

Post  just some kid 21.07.11 20:51

one thing that i might add is that with the darker flat colors you will stand out more because you end up with a dark outline of yourself. for example, a person wearing an od shirt lying on the leaves at acz will have their torso outlined. black espescially.
    -a|ex
    -a|ex

Twitch's definitive guide to everything tactical! (PICTURE HEAVY) Empty Re: Twitch's definitive guide to everything tactical! (PICTURE HEAVY)

Post  -a|ex 21.07.11 21:08

and all your nice gear gets ruined by band tape...

Post  Guest 21.07.11 21:16

-a|ex wrote:and all your nice gear gets ruined by band tape...

Wammy!
    Ghost
    Ghost

Post  Ghost 21.07.11 22:58

Very well done. Good Job man.
    reconsniperga
    reconsniperga

Post  reconsniperga 21.07.11 23:22

NEVER WEAR BLACK WITH A CAMOUFLAGE UNIFORM!
    Bulldog94
    Bulldog94

Post  Bulldog94 22.07.11 16:24

reconsniperga wrote:NEVER WEAR BLACK WITH A CAMOUFLAGE UNIFORM!
    +1
    poopdaddy
    poopdaddy

Post  poopdaddy 22.07.11 22:45

Bulldog94 wrote:
    +1

i the tac vest in your avitar pic black??
    -1 lol!
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin 23.07.11 1:06

Sorry, I disagree. I used to be all anti-black, but I've seen it done right. It's hard to do, but I've seen kits with camouflage bottoms and black tops that look really nice.
    Bulldog94
    Bulldog94

Post  Bulldog94 23.07.11 11:24

poopdaddy wrote:
    Bulldog94 wrote:
    +1

i the tac vest in your avitar pic black??
    -1 lol!

Negative, its OD green. -2 for you good sir lol
    NJSC
    NJSC
    Admin

Post  NJSC 23.07.11 11:37

You're still in UCP Evil or Very Mad Razz
    wolf six

Post  wolf six 23.07.11 16:59

black and MARPAT go well together
    and so does black tiger and black
    Twitch
    Twitch

Post  Twitch 23.07.11 18:40

Black can work...but it is very hard to do. Black does not work Well with Any Variant of MARPAT, and if you notice, black is usually only used by SWAT teams and other Dynamic Entry teams. Even then Most SWAT teams are switching over to Flat colors like OD and CB.

And UPDATED with new Info!
    reconsniperga
    reconsniperga

Post  reconsniperga 24.07.11 1:40

Admin wrote:

Sorry, I disagree. I used to be all anti-black, but I've seen it done right. It's hard to do, but I've seen kits with camouflage bottoms and black tops that look really nice.
    Yeah, if it's a uniform piece it can work. I'm mainly referring to gear.
    NJSC
    NJSC
    Admin

Post  NJSC 24.07.11 10:21

And teh back peddling starts.
    Andy
    Andy

Post  Andy 24.07.11 10:57

TWITCH has me on the amount of gear FO-SHO since I have gotten rid of just about everything since I am now Former .Mil. I still consider myself knowledgable (sp?) about gear as well as having definate opinions on what works and what doesn't.

For gear, I H A T E......anything UCP. Period.

I love my MC ACU cut uniform. I have stood totally still and not been seen. I have also been flat on my gut and not been seen. I love it. I need to get the boonie though due to being shot in the face because "that was all I could see". My main kit is CB with one woodland pouch. I like the pouch because of the velcro on it for my ACF patch.

Got a question? Ask.
    poopdaddy
    poopdaddy

Post  poopdaddy 24.07.11 15:31

andy

missed you at the game last night
    Bulldog94
    Bulldog94

Post  Bulldog94 24.07.11 17:10

How long ago did you get out Andy?
    Andy
    Andy

Post  Andy 24.07.11 19:06

@ Poop--I was working last night. Providing Vigilance for the family of our slain Deputy. We have Deputy's with the family 24hrs a day until the funeral.

@Bulldog--Waiting on final Orders. Had my Retirement Briefing last weekend. Done.
    airsofter
    airsofter

Post  airsofter 24.07.11 19:11

thats alot of stuff on the helmet isn't that heavy
    S.M.A.
    S.M.A.

Post  S.M.A. 28.07.11 14:04

whats the best loadout for acz? i had marpat top and bottom with boonie and od vest. any problems?
    wolf six

Post  wolf six 28.07.11 22:45

Twitch wrote:Black can work...but it is very hard to do. Black does not work Well with Any Variant of MARPAT, and if you notice, black is usually only used by SWAT teams and other Dynamic Entry teams. Even then Most SWAT teams are switching over to Flat colors like OD and CB.

When you say "work" do you mean add to the patterns camouflage ability, or make your load out color coordinated?
    kilomike
    kilomike

Post  kilomike 09.08.11 16:05

I know this is a little late post, but could you post links on where to buy what is in the pictures.
    wolf six

Post  wolf six 02.09.11 22:58

kilomike wrote:I know this is a little late post, but could you post links on where to buy what is in the pictures.

www.google.com
    kilomike
    kilomike

Post  kilomike 04.09.11 11:23

Duh!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is 28.03.24 11:53