Metro Atlanta Airsoft

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A network of airsofters in the Metro Atlanta area.

4 posters

Hit Calling: Fact or Fiction?

Aggressor
    Aggressor

Hit Calling: Fact or Fiction? Empty Hit Calling: Fact or Fiction?

Post  Aggressor 13.05.13 15:43

I have been picking my brain on this subject recently. Its the subject that PLAGUES airsoft; hit-calling. For some people, hit-calling problems seem to happen every single game, against every set of competitors they play. For others, it doesn't seem be a problem all that often. Before I start, I want to clarify that of course the hit-calling problem in airsoft DOES in fact exist, however, my postulation is that perhaps it is not as high in frequency as many believe it to be, and the frequency that it does occur it is possibly a lot less "malicious" in intent than many players may believe.

I was out of airsoft for over a year until recently. During that year, I got my hands on live-fire exercises a lot more than I had in the past. I joined the Combat Shooting Team at UNG, which is a highly reputed and very good team (note that I am not what makes it that way haha, I am just a green-as-grass shooter compared to the real competing members of the team). I was formally instructed in marksmanship (to Army SOP) and competed in marksmanship competition. The rifles the team uses are M16A2 and M9s; both notably accurate and precise firearms. What I learned from this experience was simple: SHOOTING IS HARD! Being a proper marksman is not easy, and if you don't know HOW to do it, you will find it very difficult to become proficient. In fact, it is RARE to see a skilled marksman who received no training save for his own experience. Hitting targets, even from 25 meters (75 feet) is no simple task, although from a no-stress and properly positioned stance it is rather easy. However, under stressful conditions, like during movement, while under fire, or while taking a reflexive shot, hitting a target even as close as 15 meters (45 feet) can be extremely difficult. It was so much harder to shoot accurately than I thought; and I was NO STRANGER to firearms manipulation or shooting before I joined this Combat Shooting Team. Whats the point of this story? It's the background information to my hypothesis on hit-calling:

PEOPLE MISS

I honestly believe that a lot (not all) of people who are prone to call others on not calling their hits are, in fact, overestimating their own accuracy. I myself used to be a big perpetrator of this. I would call people out, and they would get upset and refute it, and in my mind I would tell myself "There is no way I missed they are bulll****ing me". After competing with actual firearms under military instruction in proper marksmanship all I can think now is "I most probably missed those shots back in those airsoft games". Last time I played was at EliteOps, a CQB airsoft field in Canton. At the field, thanks to my experience on the CombatShootingTeam, I really saw a massive increase in my accuracy and I was able to pull off alot of shots that I previously would have considered either lucky or impossible (now I understand why Andy would always kick my butt at ACZ Razz ) HOWEVER, I also never once felt the need to call anyone out. Because I could recognize a miss when it happened. Even when I had the DROP on somebody, was very close, and fired to no result, I could recognize a miss. In fact, there was an instance where I was coming out of my spawn and an enemy (trying to get into our spawn point to blow it) ran into my line of sight, in the corner of my eye. I snapped a two shot burst to my left, he was no further than 3 meters (10ft) away from me, and he didn't call the hit. And that's because I MISSED. He shuffled past me and blew our base. A year ago I would have had a caniption (I have been working on my temper since then I believe to great effect Razz ) and pulled the refs over. But this time, I simply understood. The odds of snapping a shot off a target moving THAT fast in the corner of your vision is low. Even at that range. So, missing was a very highly possible reason to why no hit was called. And I wholeheartedly believe he didn't call his hit because he straight up was not hit by my BBs. Conversely, another player on the field called me out for not calling a hit. I had snuck around to his side, and postured myself in the seated(kneeling) position, my most effective firing position, and opened fire on him, from 15 meters (45 feet). When I was assuming the seated position, right before I fired, he saw me, and jerked and snapped a three round series at me. My shots were fired first however, and both of my two round shots made impact. His went wide, he took a reflexive shot at me, from a contorted angle, in under a second. However, at that range, he didn't believe he had missed. He held his hand up and as he walked off I began to move towards another position on the field. He then approached me and pointed at me saying "OK I definitely hit you, you need to call that". Like I said, I've been working on my temper. I did not say anything, I just held my weapon over my head and returned to my spawn. However, he missed. Truly, he missed. But he did not understand how it would have been possible for him to miss.

I really believe that people overestimate their own accuracy in airsoft. And I think they underestimate the accuracy of their airsoft gun as well. Those were my thoughts, I have alot of other thoughts as well, but I just wanted to see yalls opinions and if you had anything to add to the discussion. Happy airsofting!

Paul
    LORD TYRANT
    LORD TYRANT

Hit Calling: Fact or Fiction? Empty Re: Hit Calling: Fact or Fiction?

Post  LORD TYRANT 13.05.13 16:58

IMO I think hit calling for me is more of an issue with a person's integrity it shows your tru nature if you are a honest or dishonest person in life...I can only take so much seeing a player that is spec ops call of duty come out to the field & become invincible "i hit that guy he's not calling"..I ref alot so I see it first hand & it is very far & few between that a person is actually hitting there target but it's more of a accuracy,range factor bbs drop, arc, loose velocity etc.

So your thinking your hitting some one but alas no your not so on the topic of a snap on the move shot is probably likely to not hit the target due to the flight factor of a bb 25% hit factor at best. shooting someone on the move leading your target is best( real steel & airsoft) still not as effective as shooting a stationary target & that is where shooting the bunker or past the bunker to see if you are even in range is the best tool for judging range but not accuracy. Ok your range is good but it's a round projectile with a random flight path you may have to take more than one shot to hit the target.. Ok you know you hit the target? Was it felt by the player? That is another factor. But all in all most are honest but when you see people getting lit up & they aren't calling it that's when I open my BIG MOUTH as a player I call your integrity out find out what type of person you are, as a ref I say your hit player take the walk( keeping mental notes of who you are) it's not as many as you would think I've seen people call ricochet not knowing any better Was I hit? Oh well hit player coming out.

So in closing call your hits respawn get back out there support your teammates lean from it...get out & play with Pride,Honor & Integrity
    Twitch
    Twitch

Post  Twitch 13.05.13 18:51

There are a lot of other factors that play into hit calling too. As we have mentioned many times before, BB's simply do not penetrate Brush and branches and leaves very well. Unless you have an absolutely clear line of site to the individual you are targeting, the debris in the way are going to deflect 99 % f your Bb's, and the player will walk away unscathed.

I do have to agree with you though. Most people think very highly of themselves and their abilities on the field. I must admit, I often fall victim to this as well. I overestimate my own skill and abilities and immediately assume the player on the other end of my gun is wrong.
    Zero
    Zero

Post  Zero 13.05.13 19:59

I'll have to blame the design of mass media for some of the unrealistic ideas people have.

Movies and video games make it seem like impossible/improbable shots can be made all the time.

Remember too that a majority of players join in the fun because of video games and movies and want to recreate that experience with an airsoft gun.
    (I seem to recall a group of guys jumping in the air with dual pistols screaming. Anybody else remember that?)

I personally think that the players that run around calling others out and screaming BS all the time should pick up a ref vest, shut your mouth, and pay attention.

At some point as a ref you will see a player getting tons of BB's slung at him and legitimately isn't hit.

When I would help out as a ref players would call me over to "watch that guy" and generally they were just not hitting their target.

If you want to play this game you have to be an optimist about others and honest with yourself.
    You have to believe other players will call their hit and always call your own.

If a "questionable" player needs more incentive then move up and lay it on.
    Twitch
    Twitch

Post  Twitch 13.05.13 20:04

Nice to see your still around Zero. Miss the days of rolling with the GA Tech crew.
    Zero
    Zero

Post  Zero 13.05.13 20:08

Yeah a couple of us are still around.

Don't make it to nearly as many games as we should.

Too many hobbies!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is 19.04.24 2:33