Metro Atlanta Airsoft

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A network of airsofters in the Metro Atlanta area.

+7
flipa
Ghost
NJSC
-a|ex
S.M.A.
superchrisguy
poopdaddy
11 posters

Firepower is Everything

poopdaddy
    poopdaddy

Firepower is Everything Empty Firepower is Everything

Post  poopdaddy 23.12.10 11:05

For the ease of writing this article the term “low-cap user” refers to anybody who doesn’t use a hi-capacity magazine (with a capacity from 200-600+ rounds).

The term “low-cap” or “low-cap mag” refers to a STAR “real-cap” mag (from 20-30rds.), a standard TM mag (from 28rds. for a MP5K, to 80rds. for an AUG), or a mid-cap mag (from 100rds. for a MP5, to 160rds. for a M14 & AK mid-cap).

Don’t take this article as being the absolute truth, it’s my opinion, and I’m having fun writing it. I will be insulting (in a joking manner) all you low-cap users as a part of it. So don’t take it as a personal attack. Don’t take offense. I’m very sarcastic so read this thread with an open mind. I’ve taken small liberties here and there, but 99.9% of this is based on the physical properties of the 6mm Airsoft projectiles we shoot, and I’ve referenced websites on many of the facts I give.

One other theory I would like to explain is I believe most low-cap users almost exclusively use semi-auto fire since their mag has a smaller, more puny capacity. This may be an error on my part, but my experience in the last 2 years has shown that almost every person who uses low-cap magazines prefers semi-auto fire to full-auto fire. That’s not to say that they don’t use full-auto, but a gun with a 9.6v battery can empty a standard 68rd. Mag in around 3 seconds; whereas a 300rd. Hi-cap mag takes a full 15 seconds of continuous full-auto firing to be emptied, so you can see why a low-cap user would only use semi-auto. Even if you find a rare low-cap user who exclusively uses full-auto; the fact they have to reload many times to equal the capacity of a hi-cap, plus the time they can’t shoot while reloading is detrimental to effectiveness in an Airsoft skirmish. ...so when I say "low-cap user" I'm generally speaking about somebody who only uses low-cap mags and shoots in semi-auto exclusively.

The Doctrine:

Let me first start out with a true statement you cannot refute: A hi-cap user can do everything a low-cap user can do, and more. They can do more because their mags have a higher capacity, so they can shoot more without having to reload.

The first shot of both a semi-auto shot, and the first shot of a full-auto burst does the same thing; BUT, the full-auto burst has a good 20+ BB’s helping to find it’s way to the target. Which has the higher chance of hitting its target? The full-auto shot does. It also helps find the hole through any obstacles (branches, leaves, etc.) that may be between you and your target, and negate any effects of wind due to the “shotgun effect” at range (when you’re shooting at a target close to the maximum distance your gun can shoot, you’ll never have a 3” grouping. The BB’s on full-auto will cover a larger area like a shotgun filled with pellets does; that’s what I call the “shotgun effect”).

A common mantra for the hordes of people going to low-caps mags is the saying “high-caps aren’t realistic”. To me, the only thing that makes hi-cap magazines unrealistic is the rattling sound they make. Contrary to popular belief this sound will never give you away since even the lightest footsteps in a forest will make as much, or even more noise. Your mag-type speed-loaders you have to carry with you to load your low-caps make the same noise. The clicking of a speed-loader for you firepower-deprived low-cap users is a just as loud, if not a louder sound in the quiet of a forest.

Hi-capacity mags are not unrealistic for numerous reasons. Most of these reasons are due to the constraints of an AEG. This includes even a highly upgraded AEG at 400 FPS (the field limit at almost all fields).

To me, hi-capacity mags, and shooting in full auto make an Airsoft gun perform closer to the real thing.

The Unspoken Truth:

The below points are reflecting the inadequacy of our AEG’s, the positive points of using hi-caps and full-auto exclusively, as well as my reasons why hi-caps are superior in all aspects to low-cap magazines.

1.) Distance/Range: A standard military issue M16A2 has an effective range of 550 yards (1). Even a .45 ACP handgun has a good 50 yards (2). AEG’s, even upgraded ones, typically have an effective range of 50 yards or 150 feet. Go and measure that distance in your back yard if it’s large enough; it’s a pretty decent distance. Accuracy at that range, in real world conditions, is a different matter.

2.) Accuracy: Airsoft guns take many more shots to hit a target than a real gun will. Let’s face it, compared to real-guns, Airsoft guns have utterly horrible accuracy. That fact right there takes most of the validity out of anybody saying Airsoft is completely mil-sim ("it's more mil-sim" is the main argument for why low-cap users use low-cap mags). Your AEG can’t shoot even 1/11th the distance of a standard issue M16A2 can. You’re lucky to be able to hit a man-sized target at 60 yards with 1 shot; if there’s even a slight 5 MPH wind, or you hit a single leaf or thin twig (A), you’re out of luck.

Full-auto, and long bursts of full-auto negate the effect of wind to a great degree since the full-auto string of BB’s have a shotgun effect at range so you’re more likely to hit what you’re aiming at. You can also better see where your BB’s are hitting when there’s more of them in the air; this also helps with your accuracy and your chance of hitting the target.

Now in regards to distance and accuracy many people say the normal engagement range in Airsoft is about equal to what it is in real life military situations. This is not true unless you play exclusively CQB in places like MOUT training facilities. Most of us play in the woods. I equate that to the many battles fought during WW II. Most of those engagement distances were at and under 325 yards (3). The only other major military engagements with infantry troops (not in cities for the most part) since then would be Korea and Vietnam, and most of us don’t play in the jungle with those shorter engagement distances, nor do we play in cities like our troops in Iraq are facing right now.

(A) Many people counter argue that by saying that even a thin twig can deflect a huge fast moving bullet. That is true, but it's only true if it hits that obstacle during the first part of it's flight path; then it'll be off target by quite a bit when it gets to the range of the initial target. What I'm talking about in Airsoft is 99% of the time the person is hiding directly behind a bush or undergrowth in the forest. A real bullet can go through quite a lot of brush and hit what's directly behind it; that's the difference, and that's why that argument isn't valid.

3.) Wind: Many players accuse hi-cap users of not aiming, and just “walking the BB’s into the target”. When there’s the slightest bit of wind, what do you think you low-cap, semi-auto users do? It’s the same thing. You shoot one shot, then when you see you have to aim to the left about 5 feet because there’s a faint 10 MPH wind, then you adjust and take another shot, then adjust again, and again if needed.

When you have full-auto this is accomplished easier and faster, thus it’s more effective. A short 2 second burst of full-auto (or as long as you want, because let’s admit it, full-auto is just more fun to people like us) and you’ve correctly adjusted for any wind and hopefully hit your target in one fluid movement. Remember that after the first shot your enemy may hear the BB landing close to them, so they will find cover as fast as they can. With full-auto another 20+ BB’s are heading their way at the same time so it’s more effective than semi-auto fire in this aspect.

4.) Penetration: Airsoft BB’s have little to no penetration. When there’s 20 more BB’s coming from behind the first shot this will do two things; give you a better chance for that one BB to slip though the branches and leaves and hit your target, and that many BB’s on full auto will literally tear though small obstacles (even at medium range). Also see the footnote (A) of #2.

5.) Feeling your hits: We all know Airsoft is a game of honor. Some people say no matter what you may not feel your hits, but you’ll always feel or hear them. In many cases that is incorrect. But how can you hear those shots, which you don’t feel, when you have a gun shooting 400 FPS at 20 RPS screaming in your ear? Let alone the noise of the other people’s fire, people yelling commands, you yelling commands back, the radio earbud in your ear chirping away.....sometimes you don’t hear, see, or feel that one BB from a semi-auto gun. How can you see a BB bounce off your gear when you have one eye closed and the other peering through the small reticule of a scope or red-dot? Many people get tunnel vision when they’re engaging a single target. You have other things to look out for in the heat of battle besides seeing a single 6mm BB bounce off you.

At 100 feet distance, from a 320 FPS gun, a .2 gram BB (the most popular BB weight) is traveling at 100 FPS (4). I don’t know about you, but I almost exclusively engage targets at a greater range than 100 feet, and am almost always shot at around 100 feet. Can you hear a single BB, that’s only going 100 FPS hit your gear? A lot of the time you won’t, and there’s nothing wrong with it. It’s a honest mistake and you couldn’t have done anything to prevent it besides stop firing, and stand there to physically look down and look for a BB bouncing off you while you’re being fired upon. Right here is a perfect example of why full-auto, and being able to dish out ammo like any other because of your superiority in numbers (BB’s) over the evil pig-dog (I mean low-cap user), is when you hit your target there’s not just 1 BB they can feel or see or hear, but 20+ BB’s hitting and bouncing off all around them. If they call their hits in a honorable way, there’s no way they won’t call out (unless you blatantly missed). So here we even see full-auto fire making the players, and the game, able to be more honorable since it gives people a better chance to call their hits better (and a higher percentage of correct, honorable, “HIT!” calls).

6.) If soldiers could do it, they would. Why do you think we switched to the M16 platform for our armed services all those years ago? One of the greatest reasons was because the soldiers could carry much more of the 5.56mm ammo than they could of the bulkier and heavier M14 ammo. So if soldiers do it, how can you say it’s wrong to carry 300 BB’s in a single mag (when you factor in all the other points I’ve made)? You Darn well know if soldiers could carry 5,000 rounds with them they would. It’s their job to get every single advantage over the enemy they possibly can....so with that in mind how can you call hi-caps unrealistic? It’s an advantage plain and simple, and I don’t know why any smart person wouldn't take advantage of it.

Ever hear the saying “Peace though Superior Firepower”? In the Airsoft world there are no bigger caliber of BB’s (unless you count the uncommon 8mm which no AEG to my knowledge uses), So our only way to have “Superior Firepower” is to either throw more BB’s at the enemy thus giving us a higher chance of scoring a hit; have a faster ROF which doesn’t do much with a 30rd. Star mag for those semi-auto-only user; or upgrade the FPS of you gun, and semi-auto users and full-auto users can be at the same FPS, so again it goes to who’s the better shot (no difference between semi-auto or full-auto/hi-cap users), or who can throw more BB’s down range (which the hi-cap users can do better, for longer, and don’t have to reload as often).

There's another mantra that the military goes by, it goes something like "win at all costs and use every available advantage to do so". Do you really think if soldiers could carry more ammo comfortably (without impeding their movement) they wouldn't? But for some reason that seems to be what low-cap users allude to.

7.) Mid-Caps. For you mid-cap posers, especially people with AK’s or M14’s, your “mid-cap” can hold almost as much as a MP5 hi-cap; 160rds. for the AK & M14 mid-cap vs. 200rds. for the MP5 hi-cap; and when you factor in how many BB’s are stuck in the hi-cap’s feeding tube, and left in the bottom of the mag (they don’t feed every single BB), it’s extremely close. This qualifies you as a “poser”. You like to say you’re more realistic, and more mil-sim because you don’t use hi-caps, yet your mag capacity is almost the same as a MP5 hi-cap (which is an extremely common gun on the field). For you mid-cap users: I hope you seriously consider these points before you think or say something bad about a person who uses hi-caps because you’re dangerously close to the same ammo capacity per mag (and you probably carry more mid-caps then they carry hi-caps).

I know many people swear by G&P (or other brand) mid-caps. You love them and don’t use anything else. I’ll tell you right now, and I know this by personal experience (of the broken wallet kind), and from how many people I know in person, and how many posts I read about mid-caps mis-feeding, that these are a less than ideal solution. The BB’s are double stacked in a nice long “U”, or even “S”like formation inside the mag. This leads to many people having feeding problems with mid-cap magazines. I experienced it personally with my 8 G&P M16 mid-caps which I had to sell at a loss, and my G36 STAR mid-caps as well. They never, ever, fed right 100% of the time (90% and below just won’t cut it for me), and they always seem to misfeed when you have that perfect shot. I tried every trick in the book on them and neither brand worked right all the time. Swear all you want that yours work perfectly, many, many, peoples do not.

8.) Ammo is cheap. Shooting full-auto for me and many others is a great feeling. Think of every shoot-'em-up movie you’ve ever seen. Think of all those Stallone and Schwarzenegger movies you grew up loving......yet you nasty low-cap users look down on us. You think we use full-auto fire and hi-caps as a crutch for our horrible aim and lack of tactics. You say nasty thinks like “that’s un-realistic”, “you’re not mil-sim”, “eww, you have 8 M4 hi-caps and 7 MP5 hi-caps, why do you need 3,840 loaded rounds?”. Well, I guess the last quote is more of a rhetorical question....I need, and have that much loaded firepower because I can. I have that many BB’s loaded in mags, ready to cover your entire location with bouncing white BB’s because I can and I like it. Can you keep 3 different skilled players pinned down in separate locations for a half hour with semi-auto fire? That would be a feat I would like to see. As soon as you reload I’m jumping up with 24 RPS with your name on them. And by the way, it doesn’t really matter if I hit you or not, I like keeping people pinned down as much as I like getting a “kill”....just shooting the gun at a inanimate object like a tree is something I enjoy almost as much.

A dedicated hi-cap user should be buying BB’s by the case (or at least splitting a case with a couple people). For the best quality BB’s on the market, Airsoft Elite .25’s, cost .35 cents each ($.0035) including shipping factored in. That’s about 1 cent for every 3 BB’s. That’s a $1.05 per 300rd. M4/M16 Hi-cap. Now how much joy does shooting an entire hi-cap, on full-auto, at an enemy, while playing dress-up soldier give you? To me, and people like me, it’s worth much more than $1.05.

9.) Drum/Box mags: My thoughts on drum mags may be to the contrary to what you think I would say. I only think drum-mags should be used on guns if they produce a drum-mag for the real steal. Furthermore, I believe these drum mags should only be used on guns that can sustain that many rounds through them without malfunctioning.

An example is the M16/M4. They do make a real drum mag for the M16. But the problem is if you emptied even 2 of these drum mags through the gun in a short period of time the gun would overheat and malfunction. For the sake or realism, I do not like, and will not use, a drum mag on my M16 (or any gun with the same circumstances in regards to this).

Guns like the M249 & M60 which are dedicated support weapons in real life do have drum mags and they can empty tons of rounds before the gun overheats (or you have to quick-change the barrel). Drum mags on these guns are great!

....yet, why do low-cap users have no problems with a CA M249 with a Star 5,000rd. box mag attached to it? A real M249 box mag carries 200 rounds. So why are people OK with a 25:1 ratio of BB's in a M249, yet a 10:1 ratio in a M4 with a hi-cap is ruining the mil-sim aspects of Airsoft?

10.) Just because you use hi-caps, and full-auto spray a lot does NOT necessarily mean you lack tactics. It also does NOT mean you lack fire control; it can simply mean you love the joy of full-auto fire as much as the low-cappers hate it (and I secretly think they’re just mad you have more firepower than them).

11.) You can’t give suppressive fire adequetly (not saying you positively can’t) without full-auto; and for those people who use low-caps, your barrage of full-auto will be as short lived as the capacity of your mag. In Airsoft suppressive fire usually keeps heads down because they hear an almighty barrage of BB's hitting whatever they're hiding behind (and don't pop up from behind it). Hearing 1 BB a second hitting what you're hiding behind doesn't have the same effect.....especially if there's more than 1 person you're trying to suppress.

12.) BB’s travel very slow through the air. With a real gun the shot is almost instantaneous at its target since the bullet travels so fast. People can dodge a BB as it flies through the air, even if it’s shot from a 400 FPS AEG. But trying to dodge 50 BB’s with no good cover nearby is something almost impossible to do. Full-auto fire in this instance can make the difference between the kill, and being killed yourself.

pulled this from another forum
    thanks
    Guest_TriChrome_*
    great write up

my 2 cents
    i think all games full auto all the time
    med smem ed full auto five feet beats saying surrender as you get shot by the player YOU HAD THE JUMP ON!!!!!
    its air soft-we shoot each other-thats the game

if you do not want to get shot up
    play marbles not airsoft
    superchrisguy
    superchrisguy

Firepower is Everything Empty Re: Firepower is Everything

Post  superchrisguy 23.12.10 11:16

I use both, so I guess I have the best of both worlds!
    poopdaddy
    poopdaddy

Post  poopdaddy 23.12.10 11:44

yep
    but i think full auto at SW would be a blast
    S.M.A.
    S.M.A.

Post  S.M.A. 23.12.10 12:25

12.) But trying to dodge 50 BB’s with no good cover nearby is something almost impossible to do.

MATRIX...SWOOSH SWOOSH SWOOSH

Post  Guest 23.12.10 12:56

I made much the same argument a while ago. Then I started using midcaps (99rnders) for my MP5 back when it worked and I found myself getting a higher volume of fire than I did with the hicaps. That being said, I had 10 of the mid caps, so roughly 1000rnds, it was very convenient not having to wind the magazine, I had all 99rnds at my disposal the whole time. If I wanted to dump 100rnds on a spot I could just hold the trigger down. Thats what turned me on to midcaps, but the MP5 broke beyond keeping, so I have switched to a gun that uses m4type mags. I have yet to get the 10 m4 midcaps. Having said all that, the way I play is the same principle you just stated. Hold the trigger down until someone walks off Razz
    -a|ex
    -a|ex

Post  -a|ex 23.12.10 20:10

one bb at 75 feet is accurate enough for a head shot. unless you suck, then use 100 bbs. if you can't get close to 75 feet, then you suck even more... lol! lol!

-a|ex
    NJSC
    NJSC
    Admin

Post  NJSC 23.12.10 20:35

I like high rof set ups. Therefore I like mids. Otherwise I have to constantly wind my mag. With mids i just tactical reload and look sooper cool doing it. Twisted Evil
    Ghost
    Ghost

Post  Ghost 23.12.10 20:56

I use mids with a couple of highs.
    flipa
    flipa

Post  flipa 23.12.10 23:20

The only reason I use midcaps is coz I hate winding and that clacking clickity rattling noise gets in my head and it gets annoying. I shoot semi for realism too. You could rarely shoot a 5 rnd burst in a real gun without having a sore shoulder or wrist. Plus real steel full auto isn't really all that fun (unless of course you have a machine gun and not a assault rifle). I just like semi, even though AEGs aren't really all that accurate (given the variables, wind, power, BB weight, etc), I've never had problems with aiming down with the range of my AEGs. The only downfall of midcaps is the slow loading time, especially when it's not broken in yet. It took me 15-20 minutes to load all of my 9 150 rd midcap.

I would like to see recoil in AEGs in the near future (Tokyo Marui sorta has one). When you wonder how it's easier to hit something in airsoft, it's because of the fact that you spray in a general direction without ruining your point of aim and the fact that you can spray without worrying about fighting the gun from aiming up.
    Gunny1.5
    Gunny1.5

Post  Gunny1.5 24.12.10 2:22

depending on if my dad is playing as well or if it is just me, i will use both
    if my dad plays
    i give him most of the hi caps and i use low caps
    if he isnt playing
    i use both
    i like the convenience of not having to wind my mags up to shoot and the realism of only having 30 rounds and having to use selective fire, it makes you really think, "is it worth sending all my rounds at that one target?" Question
    NJSC
    NJSC
    Admin

Post  NJSC 24.12.10 13:25

There are times where I choose to use only semi just because of the challenge. The last game at ACZ I did that.
    Andy
    Andy

Post  Andy 24.12.10 13:55

6 Hi-Caps is what I carry. I generally only use 1 or 2 at each game even though all 6 are completely full. I mostly shoot semi but will switch to "burst". I don't think I have ever just gone full tilt...ever. I do my best for accurate shot placement, but, if all I can do is suppress a target so someone else gets the kill, I'm fine with that.

I too hate the "your not really mil.sim" argument as well. For anyone that wants to be as "mil.sim" as they can get, come talk to me and I will give you a packing list of everything you should have on you. Could that be going a little overboard? Maybe. But if you want to feel like you are as close to the real thing as possible, I am more than willing to help you out. Just don't talk to me about "mil.sim".

Now for a "PRO" for the use of low-caps.....magazine change drills. This is the ONLY reason I have ever entertained the thought of getting some. If I can get my time down playing airsoft then I should do good the next time I find myself at another 2 way range.
    Bulldog94
    Bulldog94

Post  Bulldog94 24.12.10 14:41

I agree with Andy on this one.. I use a similar technique
    poopdaddy
    poopdaddy

Post  poopdaddy 24.12.10 16:07

this is the flip side
    i think full auto should be an option at all games
    but those of you that have played with me know that semi/sniper is how
    i like to play,but full auto has its place in the games
    the guys who just spray always poke out from cover and are great targets

By Ardrummer292

My philosophy on fullauto, hicaps, and the combat psyche

SITREP - OP: Thunder II, 08/29/2005 13:25 Bravo squad
    All you can hear is the whining sound of automatic gunfire around you. You see little blurs of white and hear the “swish” of bbs whizzing past you at 400 fps. You can hear bbs pinging off of your impossibly small piece of cover, a tree no more than a foot in diameter. You see your friends just across the path being pinned down behind stumps, some getting blasted in the face with a well-placed group of bbs. You yell over to them, “Cover me!” Unfortunately, there are only two members of your squad left: one has a GBB and a medic kit, while the other has an empty M4. You have no smoke grenades, and you only have one standard mag left. You MUST rejoin the remainder of your team to reach the objective. What to do...
    Most airsofters would slap that last mag in, flip their selector switch to full auto, and blindly blaze their way across the trail, hoping for the best. Isn’t it true? How else would you make it to the objective and complete the mission? Although some may deny such tactical decisions out of action, combat makes one forget all aspects of proper weapon handling technique (ESPECIALLY trigger discipline). Perhaps an analysis of common airsoft combat techniques should be noted to see how this situation could be rectified, or avoided altogether.

I’d say that 95% of airsofters who have the capability to use fullauto in their guns use fullauto exclusively. Of the airsofters that have fullauto capability, I’d say that a solid 75% do NOT use short (3-5 round) bursts. Instead, they spray fullauto fire until they are content that their target has been thoroughly saturated.
    This is a problem. Although airsoft guns can carry FAR more ammunition than their realsteel counterparts, that doesn’t mean that their ammo supply is infinite. It may seem that way with weapons outfitted with a box or drum mag, but all magazines have their limits. Besides, the more confident a person is in the “infinite” nature of their gun’s ammo supply, the more likely they are to shoot at things that they otherwise wouldn’t waste ammo on.

This explains the trend for milsim teams requiring realcap magazines. If people conserved ammo with box mags like they do with 30rd realcaps, there would be little, if any, problem with box mags on milsim teams. The more stress that is put on magazine capacity, the better one’s technique becomes.

I’ve always considered airsoft a more intelligent and realistic alternative to paintball. That’s one of the main reasons that I started playing airsoft, actually. The paintball scene was turning into a spray-and-pray circus, complete with neon clothing and inflatable obstacles. Airsoft had the fun-factor of paintball, but with the realism and military combat discipline I craved. In my eyes, it was the perfect sport.
    I watched the videos, studied the guns, and had even attended a few local GBB skirmishes to get a feel for the game. After nearly a year of research, I’d gotten AEG and upgraded it to a skirmishable level (1.5J); I also purchased a TM M3 Super90 fullstock as an alternate main. Now, I need to find a big OP to really test my equipment and skills.

Fast forward to OP: Thunder II, 08/29/2005. Night after night of fake CQB in my house should be paying off today. I am ready and rarin’ to go on my first big OP! Let’s hope airsoft is really all it’s cracked up to be...
    As I walk down the trail to OPORD base, I meet a few friends and decide that we’ll form a fireteam together. We assign each person a designation: SAW, DM, TL, Asst. TL, Point, or Rifleman. We also figure out the chain of command. As we walk in our little group, I spot a sniper performing a communications system check with his spotter while fiddling with his KA Dragunov’s bolt. My fireteam watches in awe as 6 men walk by us in full authentic gear, testing their GPS systems and lightheartedly cleaning mags and headset mouthpieces. I suddenly feel horribly underdressed in my black UnderArmor top, generic woodland pants, and Leapers loadbearing vest; I look away from the “pro” team in embarrassment and make a note to get some good gear before my next OP.

We reach our base and begin a last-minute inventory of magazines, loose ammo, and any other accessories we may need when battling the enemy forces. I check my fireteam, making sure that everything is as it should be; all systems go. I give my TL a nervous thumbs-up and come to low ready, just as I had read in those Army Field Manuals. I place a reassuring hand on the shoulder of Point, who is at high ready in front of me. He is an avid paintballer, and this is his first airsoft game; he is armed with a CA MP5A4 and 2 200rd hicaps.

BLAM! The starting signal goes off, and I provide overwatch as Point scouts ahead. We enter a wide field and are almost immediately engaged by an OPFOR fireteam. I can vaguely see the enemy SAW’s position, and pop up from my cover to take him out. To my surprise, I am not using my scope to aim; as a matter of fact, I am holding down my trigger and guiding the white stream of plastic into my target. Nearly 30 rounds later, I squat back down and do my best to reload my gun as our real SAW suppresses the OPFOR squad. We move into thick underbrush and continue on.

Not ten minutes later, we are pinned down yet again by another OPFOR fireteam. This time, they are well-concealed in the thick underbrush of the forest; no one can spot them. I begin to spray plastic downrange and yell, “Go go go! I’ve got your 6! GO!” Suddenly, I notice that I am dry-firing; even more disturbing is the fact that I’m almost firing from my hip. I frantically try to reload, only to realize that I just wasted my entire hicap in under a minute and a half. I search my vest in a panic, thinking that I am out of ammo. Fortunately, I have one last magazine left; although it’s a standard, it’s a helluva lot better than nothing. I slap it in and begin to feel the gravity of my situation.

My fireteam agreed ahead of time that no one was going to be left behind. Although we did take advantage of the opportunity to quote Blackhawk Down, it made sense to us; a team is a group of people that stick together, and that’s exactly what we were going to do. Once my teammates saw me dive for cover and panickedly search my vest, they knew I wasn’t going anywhere without their help. My TL quickly devises a plan to extract me from my position. Unfortunately, the OPFOR had moved into a good flanking position by that time and started picking off the COs of my team; namely, my TL and Asst. TL. So, I’m stuck with Point, SAW, Medic, and Rifleman. All 4 take up a defensive position and valiantly try to hold their ground. SAW ran out to me, spraying more plastic downrange at my unseen attackers; he was mowed down. Point also tries, double tapping all suspected locations (please note that a paintballer, a dreaded “spray-and-prayer,” was far more ammo conservative than the rest of us) while Rifleman supplies cover fire; Point was mowed down as well, although he got significantly farther than SAW did. Finally, I’m on my own. Rifleman isn’t going to move, because he’s needed back at the defensive position. Medic is too valuable because he can heal us on a limited basis; besides, all he has is a KJW 1911 GBB. I think out my options, slap my standard again to be sure that it ‘s in securely, and go into a low crouch.

‘Cover me!” I yell as I sprint to my team’s defensive position. I hear a series of dry-fires, a mumbled “sh*t” from Rifleman, and the whizzing of dozens of bbs past my head, now unimpeded by friendly suppressive fire. I dive into my team’s stronghold to an odd sight: Rifleman has an empty M4, while Medic is doing his best to lay down cover fire for my approach. I immediately turn around and train my gun on the source of the bbs. Now, I’m using my scope and being very careful to use semiauto only. As I provide precision cover fire for my team, they exfiltrate safely, leaving me to cover my own retreat. I am tagged in the arm on my way out, making it my first death of the game.

What changed from my first 2 magazines? It seems like my last mag was the only one that really made a difference, while all others were simply wasted. Was I made more aware of my surroundings due to adverse circumstances? Yes. Was I concerned that I wasn’t going to make it out of that situation alive? Yes. Well, what made my trigger discipline change so much? The answer is simple: my combat psyche underwent a drastic change.

The combat psyche is something that all airsofters, paintballers, and even those NERF lovers amongst us have. It is the mindset that we have during a skirmish. Each person has a unique combat psyche, although many peoples’ are very similar.

Here’s an example: imagine that you’re at a large OP, about 200 AEG-wielding people strong. There are 2 extreme situations that I can utilize to illustrate the combat psyche:

1. You come armed with a mechanized walker, with miniguns sticking out of every available space. Hits only count on a 3’’ circle on the top of the walker’s body. You have a 400 fps AEG shooting with a cyclic rate of 2500rpm for your PDW, just in case your walker fails. You have Gen4 NVGs and all the other Gucci gear you can imagine if you decide to be a ground-pounder for a while.
    2. You come armed with a 120 fps non-hopup springer pistol. You only have poor-quality 0.12g bbs and have no spare magazines. Your gear is very basic, and you lack the “latest and greatest” gear, like MARPAT digital camo, radios, or a hydration pack.

In case #1, you would have a very relaxed approach to the skirmish. Everyone would be horrendously outgunned and you would be basically invincible to all enemy forces. You wouldn’t view the skirmish as much more than a shooting gallery, and would probably be sipping on a Coke while mowing down squad after squad of OPFOR soldiers. Your firepower is unparalleled, so your tactics and fieldcraft are completely irrelevant.

In case #2, assuming you decided to tough it out, your situational awareness would be raised to an incredible level. You would be horribly outgunned by even the most basically armed AEG wielder, and therefore you must rely on your survival instincts and stealth skills first. Your firepower is nothing, so your tactics and fieldcraft are everything.

You might be asking yourself why such extremes were used. The truth is, many people view a fullauto upgraded weapon as good reason to act like case #1: walking around with absolutely NO technique or ammo conservation, spraying bbs everywhere and acting like Rambo. This is a bad habit to get into, as the same firepower with a case #2 mindset would be incredibly effective. The problem lies here: how does one get into such a tactical, cautious, and intelligent combat psyche? The answer lies in firepower deprivation.

Just as described in case #2, reducing one’s perceived firepower can increase one’s situational awareness exponentially. Sometimes, your gun won’t get you out of every bad situation. This is a little-accepted fact in airsoft circles, and it really is unfortunate; many skirmishes can be won through fieldcraft alone.
    This feeling of reduced firepower is the exact reason I tout TM shotties so much for use against AEGs. Their range is on par with, if not a bit less, than a stock AEG. Their power is the same as that of a stock AEG. Their ROF is easily a tenth of a stock AEG’s ROF, which makes them a challenge to use successfully in combat. Here is where the elevated combat psyche comes into play. Your mind is much more alert and “in the game,” allowing you to acquire targets faster, compensate for crosswinds more precisely, pick cover and concealment more wisely, and generally stay two mental steps ahead of your AEG-wielding buddies.
    The mental benefits of TM shotties disappear when they become the new standard for superior firepower, however. In a springer match, you’re better off with a TM handgun or some other less powerful weapon; again, this makes you rely more on your survival skills instead of your weapon.

For some people, there is no cure for the triggerhappy blues. They will spray, they will miss, and they will run out of ammo faster than you can say “dead battery.” For others, though, tough times call for desperate mindsets, and those desperate mindsets pull the elite warriors out of many of us. I’ve been alongside some truly excellent airsofters who are the definition of “combat effective”; without their fullauto weaponry, they are reduced to combat ineffective shells of troops. Therefore, more power, ammo, and batteries to ‘em; give them what they need to succeed. For others of us, a more primal approach is needed. Going back to the basics can lead to some very interesting and educational experiences.

OP: Thunder II Confirmed kill count -
    Upgraded 1.5J AEG: 0 confirmed kills
    Stock TM M3 Super90 fullstock shotgun: 7 confirmed kills

ardrummer292
    NJSC
    NJSC
    Admin

Post  NJSC 25.12.10 16:10

Poopdaddy (IF that is your real name) you have some long posts bro.

Post  Guest 25.12.10 20:39

I personally don't care for what that last guy you quoted wrote. I don't really care what his opinions are about how to play airsoft.
    Rhino
    Rhino

Post  Rhino 25.12.10 22:48

Thats too much for me to waste my time and read!
    NJSC
    NJSC
    Admin

Post  NJSC 26.12.10 1:29

Rhino wrote:Thats too much for me to waste my time and read!
    cheers

Post  Guest 26.12.10 1:52

This is you as a child Razz
    NJSC
    NJSC
    Admin

Post  NJSC 26.12.10 1:53

Aggressor wrote:

This is you as a child Razz
    /win

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is 19.04.24 1:41