Metro Atlanta Airsoft

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A network of airsofters in the Metro Atlanta area.

+4
Airsoftguy238
sniper2525
Tinman
XXX
8 posters

When to Utilize Tactics

When to Utilize Tactics Empty When to Utilize Tactics

Post  Guest 26.05.09 19:33

While it is important to know tactics and basic strategy is is equally important to know when to utilize them. This isnt a tutorial or a guide on when to use what tactics, rather it is a commentary on what I believe to be the best plan of action on our most common field, Area 13.

When we were about to play a game the other day, the Green Team was waiting at the NorthBase for the game to begin. While going over our plan, one of the players suggested to me that we form a wedge. Its not that this thinking is wrong, because its not, that thinking is good, its just that it is misplaced. Formations are made in order for units to be able to travel over land unknown to them while still being able to provide security and firepower. HOWEVER, once played enough, AREA 13 is a very easy to understand and easily predictable field to play on. The places at which firegights occur and the most advantageous points of cover and control become common place knowledge, you can almost know where you enemy will be. You can tweak your strategy in terms of where to make the strognest push or in what manner you will attempt to seize your objective, but in terms of movement SPEED > SECURITY in this situation. Let me give an example of how this is true :

Red Team starts at North Base, Green Team starts at South Base. Green team decides to move cautiously in a fire team wedge, while Red Team decides to quickly take off to the bunkers over at the village and Zombie base. When Green Team arrives to the village/zombue base they will be greeted by dug in and fortified Red Team, who has both the tactical advantage and the field advantage.

On the other hand, the standard scenario, while not born out of any strategic thinking, happens to be the correct way to move your units at AREA 13. Simply put, everyone runs for those areas of control, like the village and Zombie base, as fast as they can. The idea herebeing to beat out your opponent to those points, and once you secure them, use your smaller tactics, like suppressive fire and maneuvering, utilization of marksmen, flanking, etc etc to work your way up the field to capture more and more of those critical points of control. Remember that this is only true when you have large teams, like 20 vs 20, but with smaller teams, 5v5 or 8v8 like in league play the movement you employ will have to take a turn for the more safe and cautious.
    XXX
    XXX

When to Utilize Tactics Empty Re: When to Utilize Tactics

Post  XXX 26.05.09 20:21

Agreed!
    Tinman
    Tinman

Post  Tinman 26.05.09 20:51

Will agreed with ya given that general TEAMWORK is being practiced!
    I do love having noobs on the field and love helping them learn to play. HOWEVER, generally the area that they miss out on are two general team concepts.

1) OBJECTIVE FOCUS: It is amazing to me how many times people/kids forget the object of the game. I spend a TON of time walking the field to convince them that if the objective is to find and capture a "broken arrow" then there is no reason to stop at a bunker way across the field and get locked in a useless firefight.

2) BUDDY SYSTEM: At the very least the kids need to grasp that they should work with and cover/supress for a fire team member. I cannot count the times I have fought my way up through a series of bunkers taking ground to clear the way for support only to turnaround and found the person/persons I asked to hold my six dropped off four bunkers ago to take cover for himself.

Much of the time our team (Cereal Killers) splits up and grabs groups of newer players to help them learn and keep the games moving. A lot of the time we are able to stil give semi-organized groups a run for their money if we can keep those two simple objectives in mind. Just last Saturday on the broken arrow op I was walking through our side trying to direct all the kids and keep them focused on finding the objective and walked up on one that was laying down on his stomach firing away across the field and was less than two feet from the cannister!! affraid He was COMPLETELY oblivious!! He had forgotten the objective. Just about anyone on the sidelines can testify to how loudly they hear me yelling at groups to work together and move up. (And many people ON the field can testify how often they've seen me try to get places and old guy has no business going trying to get folks to move/cover/advance.) I have even starting giving out hats and stuff when I see younger players keeping those two very simple basics in mind.
    SOOOOO, I know that it not exactly what AD meant but I agree completely that "tactics" are not usually primary in known territory but some basics would make a WORLD of difference. Many times, it does not matter WHO you run with . . . as long as they'll actually run with ya!

Last edited by Tinman on 26.05.09 20:57; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling!)

Post  Guest 26.05.09 21:18

Agreed TinMan, but I was talking more along the lines of Squad Movement, like moving in formations and pulling 360 degree security on objectives, Ill expand on what I wrote later when I have time, but I do admire the fact that you are willing to shwo the new guys how to play and still pull out some great wins and put up a staunch fight.
    Tinman
    Tinman

Post  Tinman 26.05.09 21:32

Aggressor Dog wrote:Agreed TinMan, but I was talking more along the lines of Squad Movement, like moving in formations and pulling 360 degree security on objectives, Ill expand on what I wrote later when I have time, but I do admire the fact that you are willing to shwo the new guys how to play and still pull out some great wins and put up a staunch fight.

Yeah . . . I know what you were getting at . . . hope it was not throwing ya off-topic to throw in the bit about keeping the newer players on the basics. Every once in a while we get to play as a team in smaller private games and it is a blast! We all get a kick out of the large game Area 13 scenario too though . . . we'll help train the noobs so you guys have a decent OPFOR! lol! lol!
    XXX
    XXX

Post  XXX 26.05.09 21:41

Many times, it does not matter WHO you run with . . . as long as they'll actually run with ya!

Agreed I was struggling to get some kids to realize they wouldn't die if they followed me. He decided he would stay put instead of moving on with the flanking maneuver. After he decided he was going to be a lone wolf I told him my plan but he didn't do anything to help me he didn't cover me as I ran across an open area... I made it across but he didn't do anything.I survived but I don't think he did!
    sniper2525
    sniper2525

Post  sniper2525 26.05.09 22:03

the greatest? funniest thing that happened to me was i grabed 3 newer kids to follow me to attack the base. and i remember i ran up to a bunker and turned around expecting to see the kids but instead there was no one. they were hiding 100 ft back and i said come on guys move up that the only way to win and all they said was i dont want to get shot. What they didnt understand was if u dont move u will get shot and so on. lol
    Airsoftguy238
    Airsoftguy238

Post  Airsoftguy238 27.05.09 18:26

Yea, one thing I noticed that others have stated is with younger kids with them doing what they're told to they're afraid to get shot. I don't want a whole squad going and running into middle of no where with no cover and I think many younger players end up fearing that. But thats whats nice about having older bigger players having a respectable authority on the field.
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin 27.05.09 22:38

haha guilty...

But Alatoona would be a perfect field to utilize squad formations/etc. Hopefully Area 30 too.

Added to the library.
    Q-bald
    Q-bald

Post  Q-bald 28.05.09 7:22

Admin wrote:
    Hopefully Area 30 too.

Where is area 30? this is the first I'm hearing of it.
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin 28.05.09 8:48

Q-bald wrote:
    Admin wrote:
    Hopefully Area 30 too.

New field. 30 Acres. Run by Airdog.

There will be some SAAL games there, and Operation: Korphe is going to take place there. It's near Airdog.

Post  Guest 28.05.09 11:29

Another thing you need to realize is that in order to execute Squad formations like that you need at least SOME practice, otherwise its going to be a big gaggle**** that wont be too effective....you up for practices Josh?
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin 28.05.09 16:19

Aggressor Dog wrote:you up for practices Josh?
    Yeah. We'll discuss this in the DU subforum.

But practice is definately needed. Not a whole lot of practice. me and 3 other people from SOTHG implemented the wedge after a couple of hours of practice. It definitely helped out when we played Infection on a pretty big field.
    navyseal1000
    navyseal1000

Post  navyseal1000 28.05.09 16:37

Admin wrote:
    Q-bald wrote:
    Admin wrote:
    Hopefully Area 30 too.

New field. 30 Acres. Run by Airdog.

There will be some SAAL games there, and Operation: Korphe is going to take place there. It's near Airdog.

Area 30? 30 acres? I'll so be going
    Takfire
    Takfire

Post  Takfire 28.05.09 16:52

Quick deviation from the original topic....

AREA-30 is still under development with the field owner.
    It is a 30 acre woodland environment in the Sharpsburg area.
    AIRDOG is working with the owner to have schedule games / OPs at this field in conjunction with SAAL.
    More information to be posted soon!

...now back to the topic.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is 19.04.24 10:32