Metro Atlanta Airsoft

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A network of airsofters in the Metro Atlanta area.

+5
Twitch
Rhino
#CW!!ZERO
-a|ex
XUnJustEntropyX
9 posters

Infected MOSFET

XUnJustEntropyX
    XUnJustEntropyX

Infected MOSFET Empty Infected MOSFET

Post  XUnJustEntropyX 27.01.11 21:28

Do Infected armory mosfets come with a built in fuse? Here is the link to the one currently in my gun.

http://www.infectedarmory.com/AEG_AB_L.html
    -a|ex
    -a|ex

Infected MOSFET Empty Re: Infected MOSFET

Post  -a|ex 28.01.11 1:04

it has no protection at all. but he sells a separate resettable fuse. i bought one of his mosfet and it didn't last a day.
    i'm currently using SW-AB-Long from extreme fire, Reed's unprotected mosfet (burned one up when working on an AEG with bad wiring), and testing the cheap $8.00 chinese mosfets with a fuse. so far the cheap chinese ones have been working fine.

infected doesn't warranty his mosfets.

-a|ex
    #CW!!ZERO
    #CW!!ZERO

Post  #CW!!ZERO 28.01.11 10:34

I would highly recommend you NOT getting an Infected Armory MOSFET, I would go get one of Reeds. As long as you dont cross wires or do anything you shouldn't with your gun the MOSFET will last.
    Rhino
    Rhino

Post  Rhino 28.01.11 21:41

#CW!!ZERO wrote:I would highly recommend you NOT getting an Infected Armory MOSFET, I would go get one of Reeds. As long as you dont cross wires or do anything you shouldn't with your gun the MOSFET will last.

Agreed!
    Twitch
    Twitch

Post  Twitch 28.01.11 21:51

This is what happens when you use an infected mosfet.
    infected

Post  infected 03.02.11 0:25

Hey guys, I do warranty my mosfets. It even says so on my website, so I'm not sure where you're getting your info from.

Regarding protection. No my MOSFETS do not come with a fuse, and yes Terry's mosfets (ExtremeFire) do, but that is because he's using a micro controlled system on a PCB and it is much easier to design a fuse onto a pcb than it is a free formed circuit.

If you've had an issue with a mosfet I built I'm more than happy to work things out with you, but you have to contact me and let me know. I have no way of knowing if you've had a problem unless you tell me. On the instruction sheet it has our email info, and of course we have our email addresses listed on our website. We have run a less than 1% failure rate over the past 2 years.

The only protection available for non-microcontrolled mosfets is a fuse (which the MOSFET is NOT meant to replace), and a TVS. Now I will admit that the TVS is not built into my mofets, and I have never claimed it was. In 99% of builds it's not needed. You'd have to have very high voltage spikes and a serious amount of induction to need them. Yes there are some really far out builds that could make use of it, and if you're running a SYSTEMA Magnum motor you could possibly need it (given the defective design of the isolation of the terminals)... outside of that there isn't a much need for it. And FYI, one of my teammates has run a gun with a Systema Magnum with no problems over the past 1.5 years with one of my MOSFETS in it.

Again, I'm not here to get in a pissing match or whine and fuss about what someone thinks of my product. What I will say is that I'm more than welcome to work with customers who have had any issues with a MOSFET we built. We do warranty our product as well. Each of our mosfets is tested with an 11.1v 2200mah 25C pack on a 400 FPS gearbox before shipping. It is possible that something could be damaged in shipping, or that there is a defective part that did not fail while we tested it, so that is why we have a warranty.

If you need to contact us feel free to do so. The email address is available on our website.
    -a|ex
    -a|ex

Post  -a|ex 03.02.11 1:29

i emailed you about the one smoking when i attached it to a weak battery on a matrix magnum motor and you never mentioned anything about replacing it under warranty. but it was my fault for not pursuing it. i live an hour away so that was another reason i didn't pursue it (cost more in gas).

you emailed me back warning about mosfet failure if the battery drops below 5v. i have tested cheaper mosfets (khm $7.00 with fuse) with batteries that were run till it died and they haven't smoked. i was going to purchase more from you but you didn't offer to replace the defective one under warranty so i moved on. it doesn't take much to lose a customer in a competitive field.

i have one of reed's and it has gone through weak batteries without smoking. both yours and reeds have the same design, but i didn't check to see if the chips were the same. the fact that some of your mosfets are defective is acceptable (you don't have control of your supplier's QC), but not offering to replace them when a customer tells you that one smoked is poor service. QC is testing each product before it is sold to the customer.

from my own experience, i don't recommend infected mosfets.

-a|ex
    poopdaddy
    poopdaddy

Post  poopdaddy 03.02.11 13:22

i burned up two
    i just put a 12v relay on it and it works fine
    we have 4 guns running them
    so far so good
    infected

Post  infected 03.02.11 15:08

-a|ex wrote:i emailed you about the one smoking when i attached it to a weak battery on a matrix magnum motor and you never mentioned anything about replacing it under warranty. but it was my fault for not pursuing it. i live an hour away so that was another reason i didn't pursue it (cost more in gas).

you emailed me back warning about mosfet failure if the battery drops below 5v. i have tested cheaper mosfets (khm $7.00 with fuse) with batteries that were run till it died and they haven't smoked. i was going to purchase more from you but you didn't offer to replace the defective one under warranty so i moved on. it doesn't take much to lose a customer in a competitive field.

i have one of reed's and it has gone through weak batteries without smoking. both yours and reeds have the same design, but i didn't check to see if the chips were the same. the fact that some of your mosfets are defective is acceptable (you don't have control of your supplier's QC), but not offering to replace them when a customer tells you that one smoked is poor service. QC is testing each product before it is sold to the customer.

from my own experience, i don't recommend infected mosfets.

-a|ex

Alex, I remember your email, and I did respond after we figured out the voltage issue. I actually replied asking you to mail that one back to me and I'd send you another. I never head back from you and I guess with as busy as we are it was lost in the shuffle when we didn't get a response. We've actually changed mosfets since then, and the one we're using is good down to 1v. In fact yours one one of a few that used a different mosfet due to a 6 month lead time from the manufacturer that lead to us having to go with a different MOSFET until the manufacturer was able to start production again on what we use. Yours smoked because of low voltage because you specifically hooked up a low voltage pack to it (5v or less I believe it was), to test it out. If you run a 8.4v pack till it's dead, you still have about 5.6 volts (which is above the threshold)as a nimh cell bottoms out at .8v. Again, I was willing to swap the thing for you, but I never heard back.

You guys want to talk about the problems with my products, but you don't follow up if there is one. No one runs a 0% failure rate. I've talked with terry from ExtremeFire and I know even he has failures from time to time but he deals in much lower volume than I do. Stuff happens and equipment fails. I don't like it because my company's name and rep is on it. I've replaced a few mosfets over the years because of failures, but if someone doesn't come to me telling me it failed, well, then I can't do much about it can I?

Just to be clear. March of 2009 we had a bad batch of P-channel mosfets come into the shop. They tested fine in the shop, but after less than 5000K rounds most of them fried. We heard back from several guys telling us of the problem. Because we track issues, we were able to find out that there was a bad batch of p-channels. All 30 units from that batch were replaced, many even before they failed. We notified every customer that ordered from that batch that there was a part that is likely to be defective, and we were shipping them a replacement and that they should stop using their MOSFET till the replacement arrives.

I don't know how much more customer focused we can be than that. We do test EVERY unit before it leaves the shop. We do not use batch testing. I've had guys reopen packages and test and repack mosfets if they couldn't verify that it was tested before being packed.

NJSC
    NJSC
    Admin

Post  NJSC 03.02.11 16:16

This really has gotten way off topic. Take it to PM's or start a different thread guys. Does the MOSFET come with a built-in fuse? No it does not.
    /thread
    -a|ex
    -a|ex

Post  -a|ex 03.02.11 16:35

this post is about infected mosfets... it is on topic.
    if you read between the line, the OP is wondering about the reliability of this mosfet.

and no, i was never notified about the bad batch.
    and my low voltage battery was an 8.4v that hadn't been charged for weeks.

-a|ex

Sent: Friday, October 01, 2010 9:05 AM
    To: 'web.security'
    Subject: RE: AB Mosfet Long

Sorry to hear there. Also, you need to keep the voltage above 5v. While these, in theory, can work as low as 3v you end up with oscillation in the switching that can cause it to cycle on and off really fast and cook the mosfet.

I don’t have one built and my weekend is completely booked up. Fastest way to get one to you would be to mail it to you probably (1 business day since we’re both not far from metro ATL). Can you pay via paypal?

Sam Jonathan
    Infected Armory – Sales Department
    http://infectedarmory.com

Sent: Thursday, September 30, 2010 8:37 PM
    To: 'Infected Armory Sales'

Heya Sam,

I'd like to purchase another mosfet. i neglected to put a fuse on and i smoked it while testing with a low voltage battery on a high torque motor.
    Let me know and we can meet up again tomorrow.

Thanks...
    -a|ex
    infected

Post  infected 03.02.11 17:13

-a|ex wrote:this post is about infected mosfets... it is on topic.
    if you read between the line, the OP is wondering about the reliability of this mosfet.

-a|ex

Your's was not part of the bad batch. Sorry if you understood it that way. I was just showing how we try our best to take care of our customers.

Alex, I went back and found our emails back and forth. I think it all boiled down to communication issues as you were talking with me and having me communicate with your tech. The last time I emailed either of you, it was to your tech who installed it who never got back to me. Of course there is a chance I'm looking at the wrong emails from another Alex.

Last thing you said was:

Well it looks like it's probably installation, and i don't want to mess with it, so he just took the fet out and sent the gun back to me. Probably doesn't need a MOSFET in the first place, not running a lipo or anything :p

Thanks for all the help,
    Alex

I'm not picking on you, believe me. I just want to clear my name. If anyone out there has an issue with a product I sold let me know as soon as possible after it issue arises so we can work things out and come to a solution.

Rhino
    Rhino

Post  Rhino 03.02.11 18:32

infected wrote:
    -a|ex wrote:this post is about infected mosfets... it is on topic.

-a|ex

Your's was not part of the bad batch. Sorry if you understood it that way. I was just showing how we try our best to take care of our customers.

Alex, I went back and found our emails back and forth. I think it all boiled down to communication issues as you were talking with me and having me communicate with your tech. The last time I emailed either of you, it was to your tech who installed it who never got back to me. Of course there is a chance I'm looking at the wrong emails from another Alex.

Last thing you said was:

Well it looks like it's probably installation, and i don't want to mess with it, so he just took the fet out and sent the gun back to me. Probably doesn't need a MOSFET in the first place, not running a lipo or anything :p

Thanks for all the help,
    Alex

I'm not picking on you, believe me. I just want to clear my name. If anyone out there has an issue with a product I sold let me know as soon as possible after it issue arises so we can work things out and come to a solution.

I cant speak for Alex but You probably have the wrong Alex because he works on his own guns.
    infected

Post  infected 03.02.11 18:55

Rhino wrote:
    I cant speak for Alex but You probably have the wrong Alex because he works on his own guns.

could very well be possible given that I don't have a last name or email address to put with it.
    -a|ex
    -a|ex

Post  -a|ex 03.02.11 19:14

this should help:

Sent: Thursday, September 30, 2010 8:37 PM
    To: 'Infected Armory Sales'

-a|ex
    HavenUnitOctopus

Post  HavenUnitOctopus 06.02.11 0:13

while we are still on the subject anybody ever tried these guys mosfets specifically these drop in mosfets.The other fets are on the side if you guys don't notice them.

http://www.awsairsoft.com/stealth-v2gb#
    Rhino
    Rhino

Post  Rhino 06.02.11 0:17

Top notch product but poor customer service and it seems try never have product in stock.
    HavenUnitOctopus

Post  HavenUnitOctopus 06.02.11 0:23

To add to the drop in fets would you still need the selector plate.I would agree on the customer service i emailed them this question about 3 days ago.
    -a|ex
    -a|ex

Post  -a|ex 06.02.11 2:04

this thread discuss the stealth mosfet... airsoft mechanics forum

-a|ex
    infected

Post  infected 08.02.11 19:12

Alex, check your PM's. I'm not on here... really ever... but shoot me an email and we'll get squared away.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is 01.05.24 20:42