Metro Atlanta Airsoft

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A network of airsofters in the Metro Atlanta area.

+7
wolf six
protwitness
Tinman
#CW!!ZERO
Dirkastan
Admin
Q-bald
11 posters

Field Radio?

Q-bald
    Q-bald

Field Radio? Empty Field Radio?

Post  Q-bald 06.03.09 20:02

I see you guys talk about using radios in the field to communicate,and the compatible infamous "Throat Mic"
    I was wondering what kind of radios you use,and how much they cost?

I have Nextel with a push to talk earpiece.........does that count.............lol
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Field Radio? Empty Re: Field Radio?

Post  Admin 06.03.09 20:12

A $25-$40 two-way radio you can get at any sporting goods store will do. Pretty much anything that gets the job done.
    I personally use a Motorolla two-way that I got for $30 at Dicks.
    Q-bald
    Q-bald

Post  Q-bald 06.03.09 20:15

Wow that's cheap........Do they all use the same Freq.
    how do you choose whom you want to talk to
    Don't want the enemy to hear ya
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin 06.03.09 20:21

They've got different channels/frequencies you can choose from. Most 2-ways have around 14 frequencies to choose from, so everyone on your team sets their radio to your channel. Your opponents will choose a different channel, and you won't know what channel they're using.
    Now, it is possible for your opponents to be monitoring the other channel, but IMO, if you can trust someone to call their hits, you can trust them to stay on their channel. And it's usually too much of a hassle to monitor every single station in order to figure out what channel your opponent's using, when you may or may not get any useful information out of it.

EDIT:
    Of course, so guys who get radios that cost upwards of $200, and those can sometimes be encrypted. But then again, a $200 radio wont give you that much of an advantage over a $40 one.

EDIT #2:
    Throat mics are like headsets where the microphone goes directly on your vocal chords so that it will pick up your voice even when you are being very quiet. They're useful if you like to be sneaky.

Last edited by Admin on 30.11.10 12:35; edited 2 times in total
    Q-bald
    Q-bald

Post  Q-bald 06.03.09 20:35

Alright man...............good info
    I will for sure pick a couple of these up when i start playing
    Dirkastan
    Dirkastan

Post  Dirkastan 06.03.09 22:19

Admin wrote:Of course, so guys who are really into the whole milsim thing get radios that cost upwards of $200, and those can sometimes be encrypted. But then again, Milsim is really just dress-up for men, and a $200 radio wont give you that much of an advantage over a $40 one.

I use a $40 radio that I put in my replica milsim radio LOL. But yeah, I've heard of someone buying an MBITR for airsoft. Those are like close to or over $1000 if I'm not mistaken.
    #CW!!ZERO
    #CW!!ZERO

Post  #CW!!ZERO 07.03.09 0:02

Dirkastan wrote:
    Admin wrote:Of course, so guys who are really into the whole milsim thing get radios that cost upwards of $200, and those can sometimes be encrypted. But then again, Milsim is really just dress-up for men, and a $200 radio wont give you that much of an advantage over a $40 one.

I use a $40 radio that I put in my replica milsim radio LOL. But yeah, I've heard of someone buying an MBITR for airsoft. Those are like close to or over $1000 if I'm not mistaken.

Wow thats a little extreme, i too stick with the $40 radios, I also bought the throat mic that airdog sells.
    Q-bald
    Q-bald

Post  Q-bald 07.03.09 0:08

Yea, throat Mic sounds cool...........Is it I know it picks up vibration from throat, But is it like voice activated?
    or do you still need to push a button?
    In other words........How do you keep everyone from talking at once?
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin 07.03.09 8:35

Q-bald wrote:Yea, throat Mic sounds cool...........Is it I know it picks up vibration from throat, But is it like voice activated?
    or do you still need to push a button?
    You push a button.
    In other words........How do you keep everyone from talking at once?
    You wait until the other person is done talking.
    Tinman
    Tinman

Post  Tinman 07.03.09 9:56

There is not a lot of difference in radios . . . the Motorola Talkabout series are good ones . . . we have the gt8500 models but even those are on the high-end of what is needed.
    Headsets, on the other hand, are NOT all created equal . . . there is some real junk out there! Buyer beware on that so your better off buying one that you or a friend have experience with if you want something with clarity and function!
    Q-bald
    Q-bald

Post  Q-bald 07.03.09 10:04

I guess Nextel would work,If enough people had them
    Being that you can set them up as group talk with as many people as you want
    But wouldnt be practical see it would take all day to program everyones # in it
    protwitness

Post  protwitness 07.04.09 15:35

Coming from a tech standpoint, your typical wal-mart/dicks FRS radio isn't gonna do much for you. These are legally only allowed to tx with 1/2 watt, about enough to go 1/4-1/2 mile through woods. If you do buy ones that say they have a longer range, you will only get that longer range on channels 15-22.

A better radio is going to require a license for a specific commercial frequency(costs about 600 dollars), and commercial radios off ebay costing 100-300 dollars a piece. These will transmit with up to 5 watts, which can go more than 5 miles through thick brush and even on the other side of hills (usually a radio killer).

One last thing, never trust the "distance rating" on the box of an FRS radio. This is under ideal conditions (if we were in space) and is still exaggerated.

Any questions, feel free to message me.
    I'm your guy when it comes to electronics.

Also, Ebay can be a great place to buy headsets with acoustic tubes (secret service earpeices) and throat mics. They will be 10-15 dollars including shipping, just make sure you get one with the correct connector for your radio.
    wolf six

Post  wolf six 29.11.10 21:50

I'm looking to buy a radio and a throat mics set for christmas. What type of ear piece, and radio should i buy?

Reply or PM me if you have a recommendation.
    theangryschnoodle
    theangryschnoodle

Post  theangryschnoodle 29.11.10 22:42

I use a motorola talkabout, we got a pack of three for about 45 dollars. My team leader has some very expensive motorolas that he uses for work that require a liscense to use. He uses them when he is the leader of a large team, usually at ops, so he can communicate with people from the base. My whole team uses Pryme headsets. http://www.123radios.com/Pryme-Radio-Products.asp They are amazing. The quality is crystal clear and the PTT is very big. We mostly use the SPM 400-A series but one person uses the SPM 1400-T(Tactical) which has a gigantic PTT. I wouldn't reccomend skimping out on a headset. I did the first time I got one and ended up buying a new one. I wasn't happy wasting my money on the other one. Radios are some of the most helpful things you can have on the field.
    sniper2525
    sniper2525

Post  sniper2525 29.11.10 23:01

look at post date
    Electioneer
    Electioneer

Post  Electioneer 29.11.10 23:12

Not necessarily a nercopost trent. Just the same as creating a new thread about the same topic, noob.

Don't get throat mics unless you plan on spending big bucks, you get what you pay for.

Bowman and swimmer headsets are usually ~$40 from china and work fine with a PTT. You can get a knock off Sordin or Comtac I or II headset that cancels noise for ~$80.

Motorola talkabouts work just fine, get one of those.
    sniper2525
    sniper2525

Post  sniper2525 29.11.10 23:27

Sorry Mr.Reed
    NJSC
    NJSC
    Admin

Post  NJSC 30.11.10 3:11

Here's my question for those of you with "noise canceling headsets" Do you find yourself at a disadvantage not being able to hear people around you or someone possibly shooting at you? I know when I try and talk to Reed with his on it's like talking to a 90 year old woman. Question
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin 30.11.10 12:35

NJSC wrote:Here's my question for those of you with "noise canceling headsets" Do you find yourself at a disadvantage not being able to hear people around you or someone possibly shooting at you? I know when I try and talk to Reed with his on it's like talking to a 90 year old woman. Question
    Well, if you put batteries in them and turn them all of the way up, they actually amplify ambient noise, giving you superhuman-esque hearing. However, the knockoff headsets drain the batteries really fast, meaning yes, you often encounter this problem.
    NJSC
    NJSC
    Admin

Post  NJSC 30.11.10 14:32

I hear the real ones give you spidey sense as well. Any thoughts to this rumor?
    On thing that makes me hesitant to buying an ear piece is also the quality of the speaker. I am a little hard of hearing as it is so if I buy something I want it to help not just look cool. Maybe we need some reviews of this equipment.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is 02.05.24 18:38