Metro Atlanta Airsoft

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A network of airsofters in the Metro Atlanta area.

2 posters

Charity OP for Central Asia Institute

Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Charity OP for Central Asia Institute Empty Charity OP for Central Asia Institute

Post  Admin 07.03.09 22:42

As you may know, the situation in Pakistan, Afghanistan, and the neighboring region is not very good. The region is stricken with poverty, high infant and childhood mortality, slavery, and radical fundamentalism. Almost all of the children living in the rural areas of this region are deprived of a basic education, and this is the root of many of the area's problems, because when a village's children go uneducated, there is little no to infusion of wealth in the village, which leads to poverty, which leads to high mortality rates, slavery, and malnutrition. Also, low literacy and poverty make a perfect combination for terrorist recruiting. Think about it: if you don't have enough food to eat, and someone offers you three hots and a cot if you move away from your village and come live and study in a madrassa (Islamic school), that's going to sound very enticing. However, while many madrassas promote a peaceful brand of Islam, the overwhelming majority of the madrassas in Pakistan and Afghanistan are mere training facilities for terrorism where the "students" are taught not to read, but to recite select passages of the Koran and forced to accept the fundamentalist, militant viewpoint as they are not able to read and interpret it for themselves. The way that radical fundamentalism has impacted our country in the last ten years makes this a personal problem for all Americans.

However, if you educate children, you get them out of the fundamentalist madrassas, you teach them better farming techniques, promote gender equality, teach better hygiene, and improve the standard of living drastically.

The Central Asia Institute is a nonprofit organization that builds schools in Pakistan and Afghanistan. They promote peace, gender equality, and education in an area of the world where those three things are hard to come by, and since its inception in the late nineties, the CAI has built nearly 100 schools in order to provide a basic education to children in the area. The CAI is a very efficient organization, and it typically costs less than $15K to build a school, less than half of what it costs the Pakistani government, and around a quarter what it costs other nonprofit organizations. If you would like more information on the CAI, read Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin.

Anyway, I am personally committed to putting on a fundraiser OP to raise money for the Central Asia Institute. The OP would have objectives and props, with a semi-flexible storyline that could change based on what team completes what objectives. I'm currently working on objectives/storyline now, and the game would revolve around providing aid to a poverty-stricken village, with the OPFOR trying to prevent that from happening. I would like to try and get media out to the event to raise awareness (both for the situation in central Asia and for the sport), and I think that as a community, we can really do some good here.

HOWEVER, I know that this will be a HUGE undertaking, and I therefore would like to ask anyone who is seriously interested in helping pull this together. If you are seriously in to this, send me a PM. I'll need to know your real name, your email address, and a phone number.
    If you are interested in helping put the game on in a smaller role, I'm not really looking for those type volunteers quite yet, but I'll definitely need them in the future.

AS for now, here's a list of what needs to be done. If you would be willing to help out with any of these, or if you have connections, let me know.

- Need an A.O./field. MUST BE 100% LEGAL. A "legit" field would be best.

- Need help with props, this one maybe after I've found an A.O.

- Need help with media. If you have a family member/friend of a friend/whoever who is a reporter for a local newspaper/TV station, LET ME KNOW.

- Need 2-3 people who are very committed to helping put this on. You must be able to drive.

Ideas/suggestions/comments welcome.

Last edited by Admin on 30.03.09 22:18; edited 1 time in total
    Lone Wolf
    Lone Wolf

Charity OP for Central Asia Institute Empty Re: Charity OP for Central Asia Institute

Post  Lone Wolf 18.03.09 20:53

Duffel bag props: Do you need some sandbags and fillers for these props?
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Charity OP for Central Asia Institute Empty Re: Charity OP for Central Asia Institute

Post  Admin 18.03.09 21:40

^Yes, I will need some.

I need some people to help put this on! If you would be interested in helping me put this game on in any capacity, large or small, send me a PM or post in this thread.
    Lone Wolf
    Lone Wolf

Post  Lone Wolf 18.03.09 21:51

I'll have to see. Would a sport's duffel work? I don't have any mil-sim or tac duffels.
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin 18.03.09 21:53

^It would probably work if it's big enough and you aren't worried about it getting dirty/messed up. I also might see if I can get some ALICE rucksacks for cheap and fill them with rocks/sand, kind of like capture-the-bag except on a larger scale.
    Lone Wolf
    Lone Wolf

Post  Lone Wolf 19.03.09 20:07

Just get sand bags from the hardware store. I reccomend keeping each large bag a even 100 pounds, small ones 50 lbs. I can also donate a old large wooden ammo/explosive trunk to the cause.

As for your field. Does it necessarily have to be within a hours' drive of Atlanta. Or can we get a large place out in the sticks and take mules and all kinds of fun toys to it? My friend has a place his Uncle owns. Which he does play airsoft on. But from his account it sounds to be about 100+ acres large, with two old barns. I figure we could use the barns as staging areas and/or bases. We will also have the freedom to build whatever we need to. There is a ton of scrap lying around. If you are interested, I can talk to my friend. Of course this means everyone will have to sign waivers in defense of My friends and their property.
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin 19.03.09 20:11

^Yes, waivers are definitely something that will be needed if we're not at an official field. I've got a family friend who has been a lawyer for 40 years that would be willing to write up a waiver.
    Where exactly is this place located?
    Lone Wolf
    Lone Wolf

Post  Lone Wolf 19.03.09 20:17

IDK, I never actually got the where from Alex, said friend.
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin 04.04.09 21:49

UPDATES!!

MAA Relief has now been founded!
    In addition, MAA Relief now has a paypal account set up. The username is MAARelief@gmail.com. I would like to encourage anyone who can to donate whatever amount you feel that you can give. We are a low-overhead charity, so you can rest assured that 100% of your donation will go directly to the Central Asia Institute or to publicity/operating costs for OP: KORPHE or other MAA Relief games!

We've also got a field! I talked to Tak and Alpine, and it looks like OP: KORPHE will be taking place at Area 13 sometime this summer. If you'd be interested in putting on/donating your field to an MAA Relief game, send me a PM.

ALSO, a teaser of the storyline:
    BLUE: Pakistani Army
    YELLOW: CIA Special Activites Division (for those of you who don't know, the SAD is the paramilitary wing of the CIA)
    RED: Dar al-Tabi'in (The House of the Successors) terrorist group

ROUND ONE

BLUE OBJ:
    DELIVER MEDICAL SUPPLIES (DUFFEL BAGS) TO KORPHE WITHIN 30 MINUTES AND MAINTAIN CONTROL OF THE VILLAGE.
    ALL BAGS DELIVERED: + 20 POINTS
    IN CONTROL OF KORPHE AT TIME CALLED: +30 POINTS

YELLOW OBJ:
    CAPTURE ENEMY INTELLIGENCE (BRIEFCASE) FROM RED BASE.

RED OBJ:
    STOP BLUE FROM DELIVERING MEDICAL SUPPLIES AND CAPTURE THE VILLAGE.
    EACH DUFFEL BAG NOT DELIVERED: +15 POINTS
    EACH DUFFEL BAG CAPTURED: +10 POINTS
    IN CONTROL OF KORPHE AT TIME CALLED: +50 POINTS
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin 22.04.09 17:55

Having a meeting with Tak and Alpine after the swap meet to discuss the game.
    If you'd be willing to help out in any way, find sponsors, etc, send me a PM!

Post  Guest 23.04.09 17:35

Josh, me and Kletsko have ALICE-frame rucksacks. Also, using sandbags to make bunkers will give you a very solid and well built bunker, but you need to know how to build one (which I have PLENTY of experience with Smile ) and you need to realize its very difficult to move those sandbags.

We know have access to three Alice Frame RuckSacks.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is 06.05.24 16:35