Metro Atlanta Airsoft

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A network of airsofters in the Metro Atlanta area.

+3
surefire pigeon
cagcmc@gmail.com
MGA-Doc
7 posters

Quick and dirty review - Airdog CQB "Safety Wolf"

MGA-Doc

Quick and dirty review - Airdog CQB "Safety Wolf" Empty Quick and dirty review - Airdog CQB "Safety Wolf"

Post  MGA-Doc 18.03.12 21:23

Finally got to play at Airdog's CQB place ("Safety Wolf") a few weeks back. It's been a long time coming (FEAR was a year and a half ago?!?)

The good:

- Games well run by Airdog staff, refs on hand in the hot zone
    - Rules/regs fair, people had good attitude, teams were divided fairly
    - Lots of players for an average day
    - It's a freaking free for all in an old hotel
    - Tornado's and Thunder B's very useful - Thunder B's will give you pause at 130 dB
    - Nobody messed with my Thunder B grenade once thrown and out of play, and I was able to retrieve it. Ref even kept track of grenades thrown in hot zone.
    - Facility has created a fair amount of passageways between adjoining rooms

The bad:

- The 'L' shaped layout of the place means that pretty much no matter what the objective, the fight is going to come down to the main hallway, L intersection, making the game very one dimensional. This is even after being able to move through passages created between adjoining rooms; there are still bottlenecks, and you figure out the 'map' of the bottlenecks within the first hour.
    - Gameplay felt like endless cycle of: spawn, run to L intersection, shoot some people peeking out of doorways ~20 feet away, get shot in the face. Run back to respawn, repeat.
    - Not enough organization with other random players/groups to get dynamic entry/tactics going (had fun with my small group)
    - Not enough people with Thunder B's/Tornado's to make it more dynamic
    - Had one opportunity to utilize the staircase/courtyard - was otherwise limited to 1 floor at a time because of ongoing paintball games

The ugly:
    - 400 fps at point blank range is murderous. Guns were chronoed with whatever bb's you had in them...without providing .20's to test each with, there is a chance for the less than honest to game the chrono - experience tells me there are people like this out there...
    There is supposed to be a MED, but it just doesn't exist in play -- you are often times shooting straight across the hotel hallway at the other team. I don't care about pain, but I do have to be presentable at work the day after a game. I didn't have any exposed skin (covered head to toe), but had blood drawn out of my forehead through a baseball cap in a few different spots. boo hoo I know. I play aggressively and I paid for it. Next time I will bring a helmet or something.

Reminds me of Rob Riggle.... IN THE FACE!!!

In my opinion, SAC had it right at 300 fps for CQB. If it was my place to run, it'd be 300 fps, no MED. I know that 300 fps CQB will never happen again as 90% of guns available locally are ~400+ fps, and 90% of players can't/won't downgrade.

I will be back. It was way more fun than SS Airsoft or Gold Eagle, that's for sure. Thanks Airdog for providing another place around ATL to play at.
    cagcmc@gmail.com

Quick and dirty review - Airdog CQB "Safety Wolf" Empty Re: Quick and dirty review - Airdog CQB "Safety Wolf"

Post  cagcmc@gmail.com 09.04.12 19:22

MGA-Doc wrote:Finally got to play at Airdog's CQB place ("Safety Wolf") a few weeks back. It's been a long time coming (FEAR was a year and a half ago?!?)

The good:
    - Nobody messed with my Thunder B grenade once thrown and out of play, and I was able to retrieve it. Ref even kept track of grenades thrown in hot zone.

The bad:
    - The 'L' shaped layout of the place means that pretty much no matter what the objective, the fight is going to come down to the main hallway, L intersection, making the game very one dimensional. This is even after being able to move through passages created between adjoining rooms; there are still bottlenecks, and you figure out the 'map' of the bottlenecks within the first hour.
    - Gameplay felt like endless cycle of: spawn, run to L intersection, shoot some people peeking out of doorways ~20 feet away, get shot in the face. Run back to respawn, repeat.
    was otherwise limited to 1 floor at a time because of ongoing paintball games

The ugly:
    There is supposed to be a MED, but it just doesn't exist in play

Yeah, we keep track of those tornadoes. It would kind of suck if someone else picked up the $100 grenade and walked asay with it.

The L shape problem is only really a problem when we are restricted to one floor. The Airdog crew is planning on having the games either before or after the paintballers have their games. Also we are going to have a build day sometime in the near future alleviate the bottlenecks pin the facility.

MED's in CQB are almost impossible to utilize. Because if you did, then you wouldn't be able to take a shot in the facility... i think the standard MED is 15 ft or so, and there is hardly anywhere in the building that you could pop off a shot without being within the 15 ft radius.

Any way, we are working to make the games better:)

surefire pigeon
    surefire pigeon

Quick and dirty review - Airdog CQB "Safety Wolf" Empty Re: Quick and dirty review - Airdog CQB "Safety Wolf"

Post  surefire pigeon 09.04.12 21:02

Awesome! Great to see these updates. This looks like it will make gameplay much better, although it was also pretty good before.

I agree, MED's are somewhat hard to regulate, especially in door to door environments.

The 400fps limit is good, the kids with the KWA's will be happy, and for those who like to tweak their guns will also be content. If you can't take it, just don't play up so close.

Refs at the chrono station could use their mags loaded with .2's for the chrono, but that would get complex with different gun types, and special fitment issues. Honestly, if someone is going to have their gun run hot, they should be upfront about it. ehh, there are MUCH easier ways to cheat a chrono, so....idk.

One change I like to see-

Have more courtyard only games!!! They are really fun, and you can do so much more with them. Plus I LOVE not having to walk basically in a straight line while playing.
    just some kid
    just some kid

Post  just some kid 09.04.12 21:04

i'd like to see the whole l shape building opened so you can come in behind people. it would make gameplay a bit more smooth and mix it up a bit.
    Blaze
    Blaze

Post  Blaze 09.04.12 21:22

Like cag said changes are coming soon. Courtyard, downstairs, upstairs and the whole assembly have to be shared with paintball. So we hope to have some earlier and later games so we can use the assembly to the fullest. Once a grenade is thrown there I usually keep track of it and pick it up, except for dud thunder b's, I've seen one blow up in someones hand before
    Asia7th
    Asia7th

Post  Asia7th 09.04.12 21:25

They need to fix the courtyard back to the way it was.
    surefire pigeon
    surefire pigeon

Post  surefire pigeon 09.04.12 21:29

How did the courtyard used to be? I don't get up there very often (every couple months).
    I remember it as a shed on the middle...... oh yeah this was this one time there was some kid hiding in a hold on the side of the courtyard, sitting on a couch and shooting at out feet. It was a while back, I think CAG or his brother was there. Not too sure.
    Asia7th
    Asia7th

Post  Asia7th 09.04.12 21:30

It used to be a full courtyard, bu then i think paintball decided to cut it in half, now its smaller.
    cagcmc@gmail.com

Post  cagcmc@gmail.com 09.04.12 21:33

Asia7th wrote:They need to fix the courtyard back to the way it was.

they have it that way cuz their still cleaning up from the zombie apocalypse thing, don't know when it will be returned to its original state...
    spike15
    spike15

Quick and dirty review - Airdog CQB "Safety Wolf" Empty cqc

Post  spike15 09.04.12 21:35

thanks for the posts guy i will talk to tak and see what we can do. feel free to pm me with any suggestions u hav.
    Asia7th
    Asia7th

Post  Asia7th 10.04.12 21:34

So I was looking at the cqb photos and i saw there was a woodland part they added
    spike15
    spike15

Quick and dirty review - Airdog CQB "Safety Wolf" Empty cqc

Post  spike15 10.04.12 21:46

the paint ballers add that it right next to the court yard it's a little bit bigger then the court yard but it does not come close to as good as the acz field, but it fun,quick and dirty.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is 26.04.24 7:17