Metro Atlanta Airsoft

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A network of airsofters in the Metro Atlanta area.

+5
Newnan Airsoft Player
wolf six
Blaze
flipa
Twitch
9 posters

Precision Rifles (LWRC. LaRue, Accuracy International)

Twitch
    Twitch

Precision Rifles (LWRC. LaRue, Accuracy International) Empty Precision Rifles (LWRC. LaRue, Accuracy International)

Post  Twitch 10.04.12 20:15

So basically, once I get back from deployment im going to be interested in some new weapons of course. Primarily a new Precision Rifle, as my current R700 just isnt cutting it anymore.

After reading many reviews, spending countless hours looking at specs, and ultimatley deciding what I want in a rifle, I have narrowed it down to Three Choices:

A LWRC REPR: http://www.lwrci.com/p-120-repr.aspx

A LaRue OBR: http://www.laruetactical.com/larue-tactical-obr-optimized-battle-rifle-complete-762-rifle-20-barrel

or A Accuracy International AX.308 rifle: http://www.accuracyinternational.com/ax308.php

Most of them have their pros and cons. You may be wondering, why am I not choosing a bigger caliber, such as a .338 Lapua or a .300 Norma. Well Frankly, Iowa has some strict gun laws, and a lot of places look unkindly on those kind of rounds. Not to mention I wont have the money for $5 a round bullets after I drop the cash for one of these things. So thoughts people?
    flipa
    flipa

Precision Rifles (LWRC. LaRue, Accuracy International) Empty Re: Precision Rifles (LWRC. LaRue, Accuracy International)

Post  flipa 10.04.12 21:01

The AX.308 looks pretty nice. And if you ask me I'm a .308 person. I actually plan on building an AR-10 but fuzzies only make so much so I'll be sticking to 5.56 for now. The only thing I don't like about the AX.308 is that it's bolt action but I guess makes sense for you since you want a precision rifle.
    Twitch
    Twitch

Precision Rifles (LWRC. LaRue, Accuracy International) Empty Re: Precision Rifles (LWRC. LaRue, Accuracy International)

Post  Twitch 10.04.12 22:08

Well yes, but from what I understadn, a lot of companies are switching to .308 Precision rifles now over Extrem long range bolt action rifles. Both the LWRC and the OBR have performed amazingly well, and rightfully so. They were built from the ground up to be Longer range designated marksman rifles. The semi auto ability is a nice touch, and a primary reason why I am losing interest in my R700. I like the accuracy international for a number of reasons though, to include the less moving parts, to the sometimes better sub MOA accuracy of bolt action guns.
    flipa
    flipa

Post  flipa 10.04.12 22:23

I was just never a fan of bolt actions. I don't have that much experience in them and I don't feel comfortable adjusting my body to cock the bolt. Whatever works for you though, I'm just spoiled.

And one thing that I wonder about is that you're still on the internet even though you're over there. I might be following you real soon though.
    Twitch
    Twitch

Post  Twitch 11.04.12 15:09

With practice you dont have to adjust your body to move the bolt. The biggest advantage to getting a bolt action is getting a longer barrel. I could get a 27 inch barrel for the AX .308 if I go that route. Extremely long yes, but we are talking about a precision rifle here, not something Im going to be clearing rooms with.
    flipa
    flipa

Post  flipa 11.04.12 16:14

I need to get into precision shooting too. I sucked at BRM coz I was so spoiled to all the high speed shooting I always do. The thing is, not a lot of ranges close to me have that much distance to make into a serious investment. I don't know anyone with that much land either.
    Blaze
    Blaze

Post  Blaze 11.04.12 16:38

Bob's gun outdoor range in palmetto is where I go to. There's a pistol range and a rifle range which has 25 yard, 50 yard, 100 yard and a 200 yard
    Twitch
    Twitch

Post  Twitch 11.04.12 16:58

200 yard is not exactly long range. Hell thats pretty damn close actually. Back in Ga I used a friends land, it was perfect, a plateau like hill that overlooked a fairly long valley, kind of looke like a driving range. Anyways, it had distances of 1200 meters. Nothing like that in Iowa that I have found yet though. Its so flat in Iowa that they are afraid of rifles almost. I see a lot of pistols and shotguns, but rifles are actually really hard to find.
    flipa
    flipa

Post  flipa 11.04.12 20:01

We shot with 300 meters with Peep sights for qualification here so 200 yards ain't really that far away. Yeah there isn't a 1200 meter range anywhere which would just make investing in a precision rifle obsolete for me.
    wolf six

Post  wolf six 11.04.12 23:31

the laRue is going to have less problems with crud getting ejected in your face if you suppress it.

LWRC looks the best,but has a lefty bolt and controls. has a tigher rifiling= better accuracy

bolts= slower follow up shot and reload but better accuracy

what distance do you plan on shooting at?
    Newnan Airsoft Player
    Newnan Airsoft Player

Post  Newnan Airsoft Player 11.04.12 23:39

Blaze wrote:Bob's gun outdoor range in palmetto is where I go to. There's a pistol range and a rifle range which has 25 yard, 50 yard, 100 yard and a 200 yard
    I go there too, nice setup he has. He also does custom gun work as well.
    Silent_Option
    Silent_Option

Post  Silent_Option 12.04.12 0:19

LWRC
    wolf six

Post  wolf six 12.04.12 15:11

Newnan Airsoft Player wrote:
    Blaze wrote:Bob's gun outdoor range in palmetto is where I go to. There's a pistol range and a rifle range which has 25 yard, 50 yard, 100 yard and a 200 yard
    I go there too, nice setup he has. He also does custom gun work as well.

That guy is condescending, i've been there before and he treated me like i couldnt take a .22 apart
    TrunkMonkey
    TrunkMonkey

Post  TrunkMonkey 12.04.12 15:53

Larue and dont think twice. The OBRs and new Predatobrs are amazing. I have a Predatar and love it, if I find the need for a SA button pusher I will go larue no doubt. They run awesome suppressed as well. I have pushed my predatar out to about 600 yards and it did fine. The pencil barrel is not the best for that yet I didnt buy it to be a long range weapon.

A Larue with a nice optic and you can easily push it past 1,000 yards.

LWRC has nothing on the LaRue, side charging handle is retarded if you ask me. Also piston driven guns are over rated, not really solving a problem especially in a 308 gun.

I want a AX308 or a MSR but your looking to pay about 11,000 plus for a good set up.
    Twitch
    Twitch

Post  Twitch 12.04.12 16:57

Yeah, the LaRue was honestly my primary choice, I just wanted to see if anyone else had some different opinions on things.

Ill definetly be putting a new stock on it, maybe a new rail kit as well.
    TrunkMonkey
    TrunkMonkey

Post  TrunkMonkey 12.04.12 18:06

You cant change out the rail on it and I dont know why you would. Only thing you would ever need to mount is a bipod, buis, IR gear.

I got a good bit of trigger time with one that had a CTR with LaRue RISR on it that was a sweet set up. NF NXS 3.5-15x50 F1 up top and a SF SA762k can. I wish I had the coin or else I would have a identical set up.
    Twitch
    Twitch

Post  Twitch 12.04.12 21:21

Wait you cant change the Rail kit? I could have sworn I saw a picture of one with a quad rail...

Yeha, Im looking a different number of scopes. Primarily Leupolds, Nightforce, and Trijicon Accupoints.
    TrunkMonkey
    TrunkMonkey

Post  TrunkMonkey 15.04.12 23:21

Its not a monolithic but there are no other options of rails. Unless you put a predatar tube on it but I dont think that would work either due to the gas block.

Out of the three you posted NF all the way. Leupolds are good for the money but for a few hundred more the NF are a massive step up. Trijicon I would stay away from, at least for long distance optics.
    NJSC
    NJSC
    Admin

Post  NJSC 21.04.12 11:14

Rogue M1A. Do it.
    Spectre
    Spectre

Post  Spectre 27.04.12 0:14

Ldubs are dumb. Don't buy one. Razz

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is 08.05.24 11:10