Metro Atlanta Airsoft

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A network of airsofters in the Metro Atlanta area.

+8
Twitch
zander
Blaze
surefire pigeon
Rhino
Hippie
cagcmc@gmail.com
RedG35
12 posters

Spend $500 how?

RedG35

Spend $500 how? Empty Spend $500 how?

Post  RedG35 01.05.12 22:03

OK so here's the problem. I need to buy a new AEG for a gift and I want it to be the most bada$$ thing I can get for the money. While $500 would be at the top end, I'd like to get in at say $350~$400 and leave something for say a shop upgrade of the internals, and even a decent holo scope.

I will admit I would rather be buying another AR in 5.56, this one is for my son as a graduation present and he wants airsoft. Tried bribing him with a .22 AR but he's not interested.

Figure we'll end up dropping a grand on the package by the time we get the gun and all the gear. So.... ideas anyone??? Feel free to shoot whatever you think would work as far as equipment, local retailers, even on-line retailers.

Thx,
    RedG
    cagcmc@gmail.com

Spend $500 how? Empty Re: Spend $500 how?

Post  cagcmc@gmail.com 01.05.12 22:17

airdog airsoft can hook you up with a kwa for around $300 or so...

kwa's are probable the best gun out of box and they also have some nice eotech 551's and 552's

Rhino can also upgrade the gun if you want, but a kwa is so good out of the box that this is almost unnecessary.
    RedG35

Post  RedG35 02.05.12 9:44

CAG,
    Thx for the info. (Gonna try go get you a decent reply outta my android. Although you should SEE some of the stupid "corrected " words it puts out!!!

So it looks.like I need to head to Airdog for a look around.He first wanted a SCAR then changed last night to a true flattop M4. Found one on line, full metal,
    weighs in at 9lbs!!

That's more than my piston driven M4 with a full Troy Inustries 12"quad rail andtheir iron flipup battlesights. PLUS I know from experience that a 9 pound gun gets freaking heavy in a hurry

Oh well I'm gonna have to continue this when I can get to a computer.
    rendeer What a Face

Freaking Android is driving me NUTS

Post  Guest 02.05.12 11:45

I'll agree with cag on this. KWA m4, use the rest of the money for mags, bb's, battery, etc.
    Hippie
    Hippie

Post  Hippie 02.05.12 11:53

Look for used guns to save some money. It's obvious that since he is looking into modern guns, he's going to want modern gear. Look at a used vest and take a trip out to the surplus store. Saves plenty of cash. There is absolutely no need to buy everything from one place, and it happens often. Younger, or less experienced players will purchase everything at one store for no apparent reason, and I was almost sucked into that trap.

Post  Guest 02.05.12 12:07

I will whole-heartedly disagree with you Hippie. Don't go used unless you know how to work on guns. Don't think you will be able to figure it out either. Airsoft gun's are akin to clocks or RC Cars, the way they function internally has nothing to do with real firearms, so don't expect any of your experience with real firearms to carry over any sort of help in working on the internals of an airsoft gun. I can guarantee you that you can find exactly what you want and need (outside of gear for the most part) at AirDog.
    RedG35

Post  RedG35 02.05.12 12:21

Agressor,

Thanks for the input. While I've been collecting and even 'carrying' firearms for almost 40 years now, Airsoft is a new deal to me. (at least QUALITY airsoft) The LAST thing I want is to get this darned thing and in 10K rounds he's having to rebuild it.

We've (he and I) have been into RC trucks for years. Pretty nice ones at that. Probably gonna' have to sell/pawn some to help pay for this new hobby. Rolling Eyes He's not interested in the ol' nitro power race trucks anymore. Sad

Right now he's found a JG M4 S-System "VANQUISH" built up kit he's drooling over. Thing is... I've found the gun without the 'megastore' buildup package for as little as $150.00. He's not seeing what I'm seeing in that a M4 is an M4 is an M4. The ad has the word 'custom' in it and he's thinking it's had custom gearbox work. Looks to me like it's their (JG's) new 2012 unit and the only thing 'custom' is the equipment that's been added.

Thanks again,
    RedG
    RedG35

Post  RedG35 02.05.12 12:53

Hippie wrote:Look for used guns to save some money. It's obvious that since he is looking into modern guns, he's going to want modern gear. Look at a used vest and take a trip out to the surplus store. Saves plenty of cash. There is absolutely no need to buy everything from one place, and it happens often. Younger, or less experienced players will purchase everything at one store for no apparent reason, and I was almost sucked into that trap.

I hear ya' dude. In fact, the first place I looked was Craigs list. Thing is I know there is a LOT of junk on there. The only guns I'd consider would be heavily modified ones. Then that puts us in a box as to what he wants. At first it was a SCAR, he!! I want a SCAR from my local gun shop, but want and $2999 are a L-O-N-G way apart. Then he decided on the M4 flattop, (perhaps because I've got a new one (piston driven) and have extolled how nice it is to have folding BUIS front and rear). Laughing

Working on the internals doesn't scare me when it's needed. OTOH I don't want to have to rebuild the darned thing before he ever takes it out. No I've got a few RC monster trucks that I work on more to fiddle with them than they have EVER been in the dirt. His is a carbon fiber and nylon BEAST of a truck that he doesn't ever drive. Heck I've got one that's a aluminum show truck I've got about $3000 in with the bodies, several sets of wheels n tires, etc. thats only been run THREE times! Not to mention the two "race toolboxes" filled to the brim.

Anyhow..... back to the guns.
    So far the only place he's been looking at is a online 'megastore'. (without dropping any website names... don't wanna' break any forum rules) Wink He's looking at their "custom" packages as if the gun itself has had work done to it. When I'm trying to tell him all that means is they are adding the components to it. For instance there is the JG M4 S-System "VANQUISH" I mentioned to Agressor.
    What they've done is add this:
    • Diamond Tactical Precision Metal Red & Green Dot Holo-Sight unit.
      AIM Tactical 90-Lumen Ultra-Bright Compact High Intensity Flashlight w/pressure switch.
      AIM Tactical Ergonomic Rubberized Vertical Grip.
      Diamond Tactical OpSpec Hyper-QD Tactical 1-Point Bungee Sling (I can't STAND single points!).
      And... TWO (2x) 300-rd high capacity metal magazines with a metal magazine clamp.

While it looks attractive, I'd rather buy what I KNOW would be a better gun then build up from there. He's VERY impatient and thinks it's "all got to be there when I get it"! Mad

We WILL be buying vests, plate carriers, BDU's, TDU's etc. used or at least from surplus. Seen some good stuff on the forum here even. Idea

So still have ideas? cheers

RedG

Post  Guest 02.05.12 13:24

Heres what I have to say about the "custom" JG. You can buy a KWA M4, and have it last and perform, and THEN add externals onto it. You can't really do the other way around. While you can upgrade a JG to be roughly the same performance as a KWA, it will never truly be at the same standard. What you CAN do, however, is buy externals used, if you can find them used. Airsoft externals are pretty cheap to be honest. Optics don't have to withstand the same forces they do with firearms, so an airsoft EOTech can be found for as low as 40$ is you look in the right places. nice rail systems can be found for -100$ and so can pretty much any individual piece of external equipment.

I'll still stand by what I said before. Get a simple, barebones KWA M4, and build from there. Try introducing your kid to the "pimpmygun" program. If you google "pimpmygun" you will find a link to a program that can be easily used to prospect a custom weapon you want (program was designed by an airsoft player). Have your kid get on the program, load up a stock M4, and have him customize it himself. Almost priomise he will spend a few hours making cool looking weapons, even goofy ones just to see how funny he can make a gun look Razz Once he has made the M4 he wants, look up the parts online. See how much it would cost to do that to a KWA M4. In the end, I would take him to AirDog. Have him hold the JGs and the other brands, then have him hold the KWA. He will be able to feel the quality difference just holding it. And yes, AirDog will allow you to go hands on with their merchandise.

Also, you can post website names and such.
    Rhino
    Rhino

Post  Rhino 02.05.12 13:53

please dont "WASTE" your money on a JG! You WILL NOT be happy in the long run. I see it all the time!
    surefire pigeon
    surefire pigeon

Post  surefire pigeon 02.05.12 18:31

I'd have to say the new JG G36 are the BEST g36 on the market. If you were looking into getting one, they are GREAT!
    Blaze
    Blaze

Post  Blaze 02.05.12 19:03

Check out the "Show us your guns" thread and you will see how many Taiwan guns(KWA,G&G) are on there and more realistic
    surefire pigeon
    surefire pigeon

Post  surefire pigeon 02.05.12 19:11

Blaze wrote:Check out the "Show us your guns" thread and you will see how many Taiwan guns(KWA,G&G) are on there and more realistic
    That is because airdog stocks 90% Kwa and G&G it seems from their store and website.
    zander
    zander

Post  zander 02.05.12 20:15

There's a reason for that.
    cagcmc@gmail.com

Post  cagcmc@gmail.com 02.05.12 20:31

plus kwa is coming out with a new m4 that has a plastic lower receiver and is only $190 or so... these are internally the same as the $300 dollar km4's

airdog should have those in sometime soon...

trust me, don't go with jg or chinese brand guns...
    always go with taiwan, unless you want a gun like a masada or a tavor and have the money to change all of the internals.
    Twitch
    Twitch

Post  Twitch 02.05.12 20:31

I will also go ahead and say that you will not be happy with a JG, Echo 1, or any other "entry brand". These guns are just that for the most part. they are entry guns designed to be cheap to get someone in the sport, and from my expeirences (I have been playing for 5 years) they will break after 6-8 months. And they will break HARD. You can spend a little more, and get a G&G, KWA, G&P, VFC and expect it to last much longer, and have a better rate of fire. JG and Echo 1 coax kids in by caliming to have guns shooting 420 FPS right out of the box. Mostly this is true, however, most indoor fields dont allow FPSs above 350, and FPS is not everything in airsoft anyway. Aside from all of that, A gun shooting that hard with cheap china parts is bound to break. Its just going to happen.

Again, if you get a KWA, you really shouldnt have to make any updgrades to it to perform extremely well out of the box. All you would really need to upgrade in it is a mosfet to help save the wiring, and then you could run an 11.1 lipo with hardly any problems.

KWAs vary in price, and you can usually find one with a rail system that you like already on it. Much like breaking a gun apart internally, externals do not always come off in the same manner as their real steel counterparts. You cant just Swap out uppers on the fly like you can on a real AR, some models of guns, it requieres a little bit of tinkering to get parts to come off.

Mags, are usually more expensive than real AR mags. If you get highcaps at least. Highcaps run anywhere from 17 for the cheap ones to 35 for good ones and are prone to rattaling and breaking, and a lot of players prefer midcaps (Personally, I like high caps, but that is just me). Midcaps are a little cheapers, ranging between 5 per mag for the cheap ones to 20 per mag for the good ones).

Other externals (Scopes, Stocks, pistol grips, etc) are usually relatively cheap, but also cannot be interchanged with their real steel counterparts (Exceptions include forgrips, bipods, tac lights). I recommend not using a real Eotech or aimpoint for airsoft, as they have been known to shatter when hit with bbs in CQB. Vice Versa, I do not recommend putting lesser quality optics and lasers on real ARs and expecting them to maintian zero, because they wont.

As far as gear goes, the predominanty gear on the market is made by condor. Condor is relatively cheap becuase it is made in China. For about 120 dollars you can have a plate carrier, mag pouches, and hydro pouch. Being cheap has its disadvantages though. With tough use, Condor gear will eventually fall apart. This may take a few months, it could take a few years. Condor products for me have been very hit and miss, and I swore off China Gear long ago.

That being said, gear wise, for about 240 you can get a Quality, American made setup. MAde by a trusted american manufacturer such as Eagle or TAG. These pouches and kit will last for quite some time (My first piece of Tag kit just started to rip, and I have put it through seriously hard use for two years. It actually hasnt even ripped yet, it just started to fray on the bungee cords. A testament to its endurance.) Compare this to Condor gear, where I had a dropleg that ripped on me after my second use, nothing a little fishing line couldnt handle (superb thing for stiching btw), but still, the quality of it irked me.

Uniform wise, I would recommend getting Multicam or ATACS FG. Multicam is the more mainstream camo in the airsoft world right now (tahnks to Call of Duty), but also mostly because it flat out works in a variety of enviroments. ATACS FG is relatively new, but has a lot of potential if you ask me. Brand wise, I would say go with Propper Uniforms. THey will be your most durable/cheapest option. Tru spec uniforms are very iffy, sometimes they have problems ripping, and they definetly fade very very fast. I would stay away from them. You also might want to look into a blouse, pants, Combat Shirt option. The combat shirt and pants for the summer, the Blouse and Pants for the winter. IF for some reason you feel like you want to spend a lot of money on uniforms, then go Crye PRecision. They are very expensive (Combat shirt, elbow pads, Combat Pants, knee pads = $400) but they are extremely worth it IMO. The best uniforms on the market right now, currently used by special forces worldwide.

Headgear, standard ball caps can be found for as cheap as 10 dollars. Boonies can range anywhere from 10-15. That will be enough to cover his face.

Boots. Good boots are very important. Tennis shoes wil not cut it. Especially if you go to some of the larger, weekend long games. The terrain will be murder on your feet, and your going to wish you had spent the money on a decent pair of boots. Boots range anywhere from 40 - 200 (40 for a crappy pair, 200 for a nice pair). I like brands such as Merrel and Bellville, although they can be expensive. If your on a budget, go to an Army store, or a hiking/outdoor store, and try on several boots til you find a comfortable boot. You will be glad you did.

Last but not least is Eye-pro. Now any ballistically rated eyepro will do. Paintball masks, full seal goggles, OAkleys or Revisions. Again, it depends on your budget. For indoor games, I recommend having a set of Flakjaks and an Ironface. For Outdoor games, I reccomend some Oakleys or REvisions. These are the combinations I have tried that have not fogged up on me, but to each is his own, find something that works for you.

Hope this helps some.
    surefire pigeon
    surefire pigeon

Post  surefire pigeon 02.05.12 20:54

okay I'll trust you, so you say Taiwan guns are the way to go? they have top of the line internals or something?
    cagcmc@gmail.com

Post  cagcmc@gmail.com 02.05.12 20:59

surefire pigeon wrote:okay I'll trust you, so you say Taiwan guns are the way to go? they have top of the line internals or something?

taiwan guns use quality metal

unlike the chinese guns... they use cheap metal and pot metal
    sniper2525
    sniper2525

Post  sniper2525 02.05.12 21:06

surefire pigeon wrote:okay I'll trust you, so you say Taiwan guns are the way to go? they have top of the line internals or something?

China= Junk
    Even the the g36 that you praise so much about.
    Taiwan is far better in every aspect when it comes to airsoft guns.
    The KWA g36 is the best out on the market.
    NJSC
    NJSC
    Admin

Post  NJSC 02.05.12 21:09

Now I'm going to interject a little bit here. Ask your son what he wants out of his airsoft experience. Is he looking to just do some back yard can shooting? Or is he looking to get fully involved with weekend long OP's? Next is what style of play is he going to be wanting? Does he want to be constantly in the fray and pushing up the front lines? Or does he want to try and pick people off from a concealed "distance?" Does he want to mainly play in CQB environments? Or is he looking at full on outdoors? It's easy to get excited by the way a gun looks, but if it's designed for a CQB role and he wants to hide in the bushes and protect a base then he's starting off at a disadvantage.
    Here is my suggestion. Play first with a rental gun. This is of course assuming that he's not already been playing. Meet some people and see what he likes.
    My personal preference is to hang back and play defense with a rifle with good distance, but after I joined a team that is an "assault style" team I quickly sold my 9lb SR25 and got a very light G&G GR16 and had a very high ROF Mp5 for a while.
    You can even tag along with a rented gun and see if you get addicted to a new hobby. Maybe we have the next poopdaddy on our hands?
    With all that then figured out then you should start narrowing down what guns would fit his playing style and have a much better airsoft experience.
    He may attend one OP and decide he doesn't like it and wants to go back to RC Trucks.
    With all that being said most of these guys know what they are talking about. Give Rhino a call up at the shop and he'll be sure you don't get stuck with junk. He's been inside more gearboxes than probably all of us put together, so he knows his stuff.
    Just my $0.02
    cagcmc@gmail.com

Post  cagcmc@gmail.com 02.05.12 21:18

G&G combat machines are also pretty good, they are nothing special, but they can take a lot of beating and still perform well... and with a $150 price tag its a great deal...

super light quality plastic external house the G&G internals that are featured in all of their guns.

but seriously, if you really want to get into airsoft KWA's are the way to go.
    Rhino
    Rhino

Post  Rhino 02.05.12 22:26

The New JG G36 is junk compared to the KWA G36. The reason we sell mostly Taiwan guns is because they are better PERIOD! We at Airdog actually educate customers rather then just sell them junk! I personal am not gonna sell someone a piece of junk but tell them its good. That is a good way to never get repeat customers. People know they can trust us and that we take care of all of our customers that's why they come back over and over again.
    poopdaddy
    poopdaddy

Post  poopdaddy 02.05.12 23:08

i will tell you go down to airdog
    talk to them
    you will not see a crap load of guns built by whoever
    you will get a nice selection of quality guns
    you will find quality in the staff and the products
    these guys dont have an airsoft store and play on the side
    they play and love airsoft and then a store.
    you will get things that 90% of us use,and the other 10% will switch to
    poop
    jolio1994
    jolio1994

Post  jolio1994 02.05.12 23:40

RedG35 wrote:OK so here's the problem. I need to buy a new AEG for a gift and I want it to be the most bada$$ thing I can get for the money. While $500 would be at the top end, I'd like to get in at say $350~$400 and leave something for say a shop upgrade of the internals, and even a decent holo scope.

I will admit I would rather be buying another AR in 5.56, this one is for my son as a graduation present and he wants airsoft. Tried bribing him with a .22 AR but he's not interested.

Figure we'll end up dropping a grand on the package by the time we get the gun and all the gear. So.... ideas anyone??? Feel free to shoot whatever you think would work as far as equipment, local retailers, even on-line retailers.

Thx,
    RedG
    Man i wish my parents were this cool. He probably doesn't realize how lucky he is.

Post  Guest 03.05.12 2:08

"and the other 10% will switch to
    poop"

OMG LOL hahaha I always enjoy reading your comments poop.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is 27.04.24 0:03