Metro Atlanta Airsoft

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A network of airsofters in the Metro Atlanta area.

4 posters

Everything paintball

Spectre
    Spectre

Everything paintball Empty Everything paintball

Post  Spectre 15.06.09 13:12

Feel free to ask questions about paintball or tell stories about when you played or whatever. I would be happy to answer questions. I am ranked D2 Xball currently and have oodles of experience in the sport. So if you have ever played paintball, just give a brief overview of your first time playing or your most fun time playing.

I will start. My favorite tournament was a D3 3-man tournament at Insane Paintball in Chattanooga. I threw together a team with two of my friends who have played with me on a number of teams and we entered the tournament. We took first place in the tournament and had lots of fun doing it. It was a good time.

This is not a paintball versus airsoft thread as they are too completely different games, and both have their own merits. Please refrain from saying anything like paintball sucks or airsoft is better, this is not a comparison, rather, it is simply a composed discussion of paintball and what it is about. If you flame, I will ask a moderator to delete the thread.
    NJSC
    NJSC
    Admin

Everything paintball Empty Re: Everything paintball

Post  NJSC 15.06.09 15:23

What sort of rules does tournament play have?
    Spectre
    Spectre

Post  Spectre 15.06.09 15:51

There are various types of tournaments that you can play in and each has a different set of rules.

Xball has two 15 minutes halves, each team has 5 men playing at a time, and there is a flag in the middle. You receive a point for every game you win within each half. You get a win when you hang the flag or the other team concedes the point. Points are generally conceded when the other team has lost all of its players on the field and they want to get back in the game as soon as possible for the chance to win the next game.

5 man is basically an elimination style game with brackets. You play one game against a team and you receive points for every kill you get, lose points for every kill you sustain, and you receive points for the flag pull and you receive more points if you are able to hang the flag on the opposing teams deadbox. You can also lost points for every penalty you receive, such as playing on after a hit, shooting hot, overshooting, or getting caught wiping.

Penalties work as follows: If you get caught playing on, you receive a deduction in points, and you and one other teammate are out. If you get caught shooting hot, you simply receive a deduction in points based on how high above 300fps you were shooting. If you get caught wiping, then you receive a severe point deduction and you lose two other teammates, leaving your team with only 2 players left on the field. Not good.

That is a basic overview of how tournaments work, but if you want to know more, I can elaborate, or I can link you to the rules for Xball, PSP, CFOA, GFOA, etc.
    Spectre
    Spectre

Post  Spectre 23.06.09 21:45

No one else is interested in paintball?
    NJSC
    NJSC
    Admin

Post  NJSC 23.06.09 22:58

It's just so expensive. That's why I quit
    Spectre
    Spectre

Post  Spectre 23.06.09 23:54

NJSC wrote:It's just so expensive. That's why I quit

QFT, I played for a sponsored team so we got better deals on gear and such. But paintball is very expensive, that's why it's a dying sport. I thought there might be more people who were curious about it though, or who wanted to voice their own experiences with the sport.
    Airsoftguy238
    Airsoftguy238

Post  Airsoftguy238 24.06.09 11:40

I played paintball 2 or 3 times when I was younger at friends parties and I liked it. But since all my friends played airsoft I got into that way and never really stuck with paintball.
    Spectre
    Spectre

Post  Spectre 24.06.09 18:12

It happens. I know a lot of people who tried paintball but never really got into it. Money is always a big issue. It is just plain expensive. And it isn't really a game that can be played in a backyard as easily as airsoft.
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin 24.06.09 21:35

Spectre wrote:It happens. I know a lot of people who tried paintball but never really got into it. Money is always a big issue. It is just plain expensive. And it isn't really a game that can be played in a backyard as easily as airsoft.
    The big issue for me was that Arkenstone closed down... man, that was a sick field.
    Spectre
    Spectre

Post  Spectre 25.06.09 0:32

I used to play at arkenland back in the day. I still miss it from time to time. The castle was great. I stopped going after a while though because the refs said kids would complain that I was too good, even though I only used my tippman. I understand not wanting to get bunkered your first time playing and I will bd the first to admit I used to be one of those guys who had no time for new guys. I learned though that I was simply being an arrogant prick and I was not doing the sport any favors by being a d**k so now j happily take the time to explain anything to new kids and sometimes I even let them use some of my gear.
    NJSC
    NJSC
    Admin

Post  NJSC 25.06.09 8:40

What gun do you use for tournament play?
    Spectre
    Spectre

Post  Spectre 25.06.09 9:24

Depends which team I am playing for. The uga team is sponsored by smart parts so I shoot a shocker with them. My friends xball team is sponsored by eclipse, so I shoot my ego9 or my sl74 with them. When playing rec games though, I generally prefer to shoot my dm9.
    NJSC
    NJSC
    Admin

Post  NJSC 25.06.09 12:15

When I used to play woodsball i had a 98 with a flatline, and then when I played seriously it was usually an impulse or an automag.
    Spectre
    Spectre

Post  Spectre 25.06.09 12:23

NJSC wrote:When I used to play woodsball i had a 98 with a flatline, and then when I played seriously it was usually an impulse or an automag.

I had an RT mag with a lvl 10 bolt back in the day and I have had two impulses. One a stock non vision and the other was a freak factory impulse. I still miss it from time to time

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is 20.05.24 7:45