Metro Atlanta Airsoft

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A network of airsofters in the Metro Atlanta area.

+5
-a|ex
sniper2525
NJSC
Bulldog94
theangryschnoodle
9 posters

Does cold weather affect AEGs?

theangryschnoodle
    theangryschnoodle

Does cold weather affect AEGs? Empty Does cold weather affect AEGs?

Post  theangryschnoodle 04.12.10 20:14

At the Airdog CQC game on the 6th my range and hop up were terrible. My hop up flat out didn't work and my gun was shooting about 317 when it usually shoots 360-375. I have a G&G GR16 R4, not the sportline series but the regular kind. I was wondering if the cold weather caused the decline in performance. I got my gun worked on earlier this week so that might have solved it. The piston was prematurely engaging and had stripped a tooth so I replaced it. I have not been able to tell if it it shooting better but it did chrono at 360 earlier today at room temperature. If anybody could please tell if cold weather was causing it or if it was a gun problem that would be great. Thanks.
    Bulldog94
    Bulldog94

Does cold weather affect AEGs? Empty Re: Does cold weather affect AEGs?

Post  Bulldog94 04.12.10 20:28

theangryschnoodle wrote:At the Airdog CQC game on the 6th my range and hop up were terrible. My hop up flat out didn't work and my gun was shooting about 317 when it usually shoots 360-375. I have a G&G GR16 R4, not the sportline series but the regular kind. I was wondering if the cold weather caused the decline in performance. I got my gun worked on earlier this week so that might have solved it. The piston was prematurely engaging and had stripped a tooth so I replaced it. I have not been able to tell if it it shooting better but it did chrono at 360 earlier today at room temperature. If anybody could please tell if cold weather was causing it or if it was a gun problem that would be great. Thanks.

I was expriencing the same issues on the 6th, and it does... From what ive read, the gear box is affected to a certain degree.
    NJSC
    NJSC
    Admin

Post  NJSC 04.12.10 20:56

And how is the gb affected by this slight variance in temps?
    sniper2525
    sniper2525

Post  sniper2525 04.12.10 21:28

well due to the nature of the gb it generaly starts to snow and or ice in the gb. This is due to low temps outside of the gb that cause the temp in the gb to drop below 32 degrees causing it to snow......
    NJSC
    NJSC
    Admin

Post  NJSC 04.12.10 21:29

sniper2525 wrote:well due to the nature of the gb it generaly starts to snow and or ice in the gb. This is due to low temps outside of the gb that cause the temp in the gb to drop below 32 degrees causing it to snow......
    I set mine up to be a tropical island, but cleaning all the growing coral out of mine gets irritating.
    sniper2525
    sniper2525

Post  sniper2525 04.12.10 21:31

ya thats a serious issue with that setup
    -a|ex
    -a|ex

Post  -a|ex 04.12.10 21:33

i can only assume the hopup bucking hardened up due to cold temps. you may want to turn it all the way off then test the fps.
    as for the gear box, metal shrinks when cold. not sure if that would affect fps. but it may affect the spring.

-a|ex
    just some kid
    just some kid

Post  just some kid 04.12.10 21:50

My Dad's fps went up from the 390's the weekend before to and average of 419 last game. At night, the bb's seemed to fly straighter as well.
    Rhino
    Rhino

Post  Rhino 04.12.10 21:54

Batteries are effected also! lower amperage output = lower trigger response and ROF.
    NJSC
    NJSC
    Admin

Post  NJSC 04.12.10 21:56

But the lower amp output does not relate to fps. Not saying you think that Rhino just making that clear.
    Rhino
    Rhino

Post  Rhino 04.12.10 22:00

NJSC wrote:But the lower amp output does not relate to fps. Not saying you think that Rhino just making that clear.

You are correct NJ
    Bulldog94
    Bulldog94

Post  Bulldog94 04.12.10 22:12

NJSC
    NJSC
    Admin

Post  NJSC 04.12.10 22:22

Bulldog94 wrote:http://www.airsoftpacific.com/viewtopic.php?p=504751

This is my source of information.
    kwa+V2/V3+cold=fail
    G&P+V2+cold=fail
    I'm assuming you are looking sort of at this guys post? This is a guy who just posts in a forum, and has his location at Romulan Neutral Zone. Rolling Eyes

The sort of temp changes that we are having in GA don't come close to reaching the tolerances in a gb. Bucking hardening? maybe but if you think your gears are going to be effected by your GB contracting or expanding due to the temp of north GA then you must have the best shim job ever. Like Jesus would be jealous of how well you can shim a GB.
    Bulldog94
    Bulldog94

Post  Bulldog94 04.12.10 22:24

NJSC wrote:
    Bulldog94 wrote:http://www.airsoftpacific.com/viewtopic.php?p=504751

This is my source of information.
    kwa+V2/V3+cold=fail
    G&P+V2+cold=fail
    I'm assuming you are looking sort of at this guys post? This is a guy who just posts in a forum, and has his location at Romulan Neutral Zone. Rolling Eyes

The sort of temp changes that we are having in GA don't come close to reaching the tolerances in a gb. Bucking hardening? maybe but if you think your gears are going to be effected by your GB contracting or expanding due to the temp of north GA then you must have the best shim job ever. Like Jesus would be jealous of how well you can shim a GB.

ha good point. I went to several sites but none seem to say anything about GA temps.. but they did come as close at alabama and virginia..
    Bulldog94
    Bulldog94

Post  Bulldog94 04.12.10 22:34

Ive been thinking about one all week lol
    -a|ex
    -a|ex

Post  -a|ex 04.12.10 22:51

i'm really curious about this. i'm going to put one of my AEG's in the freezer then test the fps.

-a|ex

after 30 minutes in the freezer, the AEG is shooting at 300-315 fps. after it warmed up (10 minutes), it was shooting back at 360-370 fps. the bbs are .25 at room temp. i was using a JG p90 with madbull bucking. i guess i should have left the loaded mag in the freezer with the aeg.

this was just a curiosity test which i doubt GA weather will reach these extreme temperatures, but it did change fps.

note: fps was increasing as the AEG warmed up to room temperature.
    i was shooting into an indoor box so i didn't see if it was dropping at distances.
    theangryschnoodle
    theangryschnoodle

Post  theangryschnoodle 04.12.10 23:59

Thank you so much for all of the help. I guess the good thing about being in georgia is that we don't have to worry about it getting really cold.

S.M.A. wrote:then we need to come up with a solution. what if we tape hot packs to your guns (i dont have an aeg)? lol! yeah i fail at being funny bounce
    I used to do that with my GBB mags when I used one. I would put them in with the magazines in the pouch. It actually worked very well.
    -a|ex
    -a|ex

Post  -a|ex 10.12.10 16:47

i was testing out the p90's yesterday in the cold and noticed the hopup was no longer working on both of them (full on still didn't give it any backspin and bb's dropped at 75 ft). would the dryness in the air affect the bucking? i haven't tried swiping it with silicon yet, but i do have some guarder bucking i can use. i don't have time to mess with it at the moment but will later on tonight.

-a|ex
    Newnan Airsoft Player
    Newnan Airsoft Player

Post  Newnan Airsoft Player 11.12.10 15:08

S.M.A. wrote:then we need to come up with a solution. what if we tape hot packs to your guns (i dont have an aeg)? lol! yeah i fail at being funny bounce
    The tribe has spoken.
    S.M.A.
    S.M.A.

Post  S.M.A. 11.12.10 16:54

Question

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is 19.05.24 15:17