Metro Atlanta Airsoft

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A network of airsofters in the Metro Atlanta area.

+2
surefire pigeon
theangryschnoodle
6 posters

Gun painting procedure?

theangryschnoodle
    theangryschnoodle

Gun painting procedure? Empty Gun painting procedure?

Post  theangryschnoodle 02.02.11 20:35

I've recently been thinking about painting my KWA. I've been doing research on the proper way to do it and have been coming up with lots of mixed answers. I was thinking that some of you guys would have a lot of experience with this (at least from the pics I've seen). So I want to stop looking around and ask here so I can get information from people that aren't chairsofters. I have a few questions, my first question is, is it necessary to take the gun apart? This is one of the things that I've been hearing mixed things about. Could I just put a lot of painters tape in the mag well and cover up the inner barrel really well? It would save a lot of time. Next is will the paint clog anything up? I once heard on here that somebody did something wrong and they now couldn't get one of the bolts out because the paint was so thick it had glued it in. Another question is the paint, I have some rustoleum "camo" paint, just flat earth tones (tan, green, brown). Would this be okay to use or should I go and buy some Krylon, most people use Krylon so I wouldn't mind buying a few cans of that if it made a difference. I've painted a sniper rifle and a G36 but I heard that painting an AR type would be different. I really don't want to mess this up haha, help would be great, thanks.

And if there's already been a thread about this, I searched but couldn't find one, please tell me and lock it/ delete it.
    surefire pigeon
    surefire pigeon

Gun painting procedure? Empty Re: Gun painting procedure?

Post  surefire pigeon 02.02.11 20:49

I have painted a few plastic guns including a g36. I painted the g36 red tiger (that is what the customer wanted) and I did a pretty good job. This is how I painted it.

1. Took painters tape and covered screws, openings, magwell, trigger, fire selector, etc. etc.
    2. Put a base coat of krylon black on.
    3. Used the painters tape to cut into stripe patterns.
    4. Apply stripes on gun.
    5. Paint the whole gun red.
    6. Peel off tape.
    7. Use sharpie to color in the unpainted part that you wanted to painted. i.e. the little area around the fire selector. You cannot cover it perfectly.

Krylon works great on plastics, the paint feels kinda like a rubberized part of a gun. Like a full stock.

You can experiment on different patterns and colors to your licking.
    Andy
    Andy

Post  Andy 02.02.11 20:53

My JG S-system is the only rifle I have painted. I put tissue in the magwell, after, I taped over the "feed" hole for the BB's. I pulled the ends off of Q-tips and put some in the end of the barrel. I also taped the "bolt" inside the ejection port, then closed the port. I taped up the battery wires, especially the connector.

When painting, I used Krylon Camo Paint. I started with a base of tan. It took a few hours to do since I was also doing laundry at the same time. I did many light coats and let each dry in the sun. I then added the "camo" in light coats. It has held up pretty well. I just repainted the very tip of the flash hider this past weekend. You can pics of my rifle here as well as the Airdog website.

If you have more Q's feel free to ask.
    Twitch
    Twitch

Post  Twitch 02.02.11 21:26

As long as you dont spray directly down the barrel or up the magwell you will be fine.
    theangryschnoodle
    theangryschnoodle

Post  theangryschnoodle 02.02.11 22:10

I'm thinking a tan base with green and brown dusted over it with mesh over the tan. I'm also going to try to distress it some to give it that worn look. I'm probably going to use the rustoleum. It's all metal so I don't have to worry about it bonding with plastic and I want it to chip a little. If anyone has anymore suggestions for what to do and a reason why I shouldn't use the rustoleum please share because anything people can say will help.
    Thanks.
    -a|ex
    -a|ex

Post  -a|ex 02.02.11 23:08

wait till it gets warmer outside to start painting. if it's too cold, the paint will be sticky and not dry correctly.
    also, don't paint indoors. your mom will be p*ssed.

when painting, always keep the can moving. if you hold it still for a second, you may get paint runs. hold your breath each time you spray or use a disposable face mask.

paint cans make good flame throwers, so don't smoke pot while painting.

-a|ex
    superchrisguy
    superchrisguy

Post  superchrisguy 02.02.11 23:18

-a|ex wrote:so don't smoke pot while painting.

-a|ex

Well there goes any ideas of me painting a gun.
    theangryschnoodle
    theangryschnoodle

Post  theangryschnoodle 02.02.11 23:34

-a|ex wrote:paint cans make good flame throwers, so don't smoke pot while painting.

-a|ex

Yep looks like this project is now a no-go.
    Just kidding. Thanks for the tip about painting when it's cold, I'll have to watch the forecast to see when it's above 50F, or at least that's what the can just said. Thanks for the help.

Also, is there a point where you have put on too many layers? I usually do about 3 per color, should I do more, less, or stay the same?
    Andy
    Andy

Post  Andy 03.02.11 18:46

Since I did light coats on the base, it tooks a few to finally cover it. As for the "camo", I only did one pass. I was using a sniper veil for the pattern so one pass was all that was needed. If you are doing larger solid patterns then you "might"...need more than one coat.
    theangryschnoodle
    theangryschnoodle

Post  theangryschnoodle 03.02.11 19:19

Okay thanks, another question I have is about the KWA warranty and repair service. I'm planning on leaving the orange tip as it is still on warranty by KWA. If I paint the rest of the gun will that void the warranty? I haven't seen anything about that on KWA's website yet but I'm going to call them tommorow morning and check. If anybody knows that would be helpful.

And do you guys try to leave the trademarks and markings on it? Like the KWA trades and position marking on the RIS?

One more thing for now, Andy, how did using the sniper veil work? I was thinking about using a laundry bag (the mesh kind) but I have a sniper veil already. Did it work out well?

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is 19.05.24 1:09