Metro Atlanta Airsoft

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A network of airsofters in the Metro Atlanta area.

+2
Twitch
wolf six
6 posters

ESAPI/SAPI Expiration

ESAPI/SAPI Expiration  Empty ESAPI/SAPI Expiration

Post  Guest 03.11.11 11:51

I have been looking at SAPI and ESAPI plates recently, and am wondering, what is the expiration date about? Some of these plates expire 12months after purchase, or 5 years, etc. From what I have read, the expiration means that it no longer retains the same ballistic protection as it used to. This sort of perplexed me, I wasn't sure as to why this happened. So, I researched as much as I could, and of course, got completely mixed answers. However, from what I've gathered, this is what I have put together, although in all honesty I am not sure if this holds any water, as most of the sources I read through were just forum posters on some weapons forums.

PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS SPECULATIVE, NOT FACTUAL
    -ESAPI/SAPI plates lose ballistic protection due to swelling and cracking of the plates
    -Swelling mainly occurs when water (from rain/sweat/humidity) enters the plate
    -Cracking occurs (outside of being shot) with rugged use over an extended period of time
    -Plates have a laminant film around them which is water/oil proof.It keeps moisture out of the plate
    -Moisture build up in the plate occurs when the laminant has been worn down and a slight crack or abrasion in the material allows for the moisture to rest in the plate
    -Over time this causes the plate to swell, which reduces performance dramatically, even if the swell is invisible to the human eye

So, if that's true, than a never before used plate, which has retained its lamination and has no abrasions scratches or use for that matter, should be fine. But, that's considering that stuff is true. Anyone know anything about this? Can you present a reliable source for your knowledge? Thanks!
    wolf six

ESAPI/SAPI Expiration  Empty Re: ESAPI/SAPI Expiration

Post  wolf six 03.11.11 11:57

no even if the plates are cracked from dropping they retain their protection factor, the plates are ceramic so i think water would cause breakdown in the plate

Post  Guest 03.11.11 12:01

And your reliable source of this information is?

Not to sound like a jerk, but I'm not looking for "I think"s
    Twitch
    Twitch

Post  Twitch 03.11.11 12:22

wolf six wrote:no even if the plates are cracked from dropping they retain their protection factor

Are you kidding me? If a bullet hits the crack there is no stopping that bullet. Slow it down a little maybe, but cracked plates are not a good thing. If your plates crack you need to replace them.

That being said I have smashed plates on rocks and they havent broken, so they are pretty sturdy.
    NJSC
    NJSC
    Admin

Post  NJSC 03.11.11 13:27

But what sort of microcracks are going to be on a plate that's been smashed against a rock? Not saying they aren't sturdy or trying to 2nd guess your expert opinion (no sarcasm intended because I've never even held one), but I wouldn't put my life on the line for it.
    Eon_Blue
    Eon_Blue

Post  Eon_Blue 03.11.11 17:31

Ballistic Plates are super sturdy, I could understand if water got on them..deterioration would make sense to me. But if they are literally just sitting there, I see no reason why they would defect?

Whoever thinks that these plates would still stop a bullet after they've been broken/cracked, needs to re-evaluate this 100%. The cracks will flex as soon as the bullet hits it, crack more..and the bullet will go through..slowed..yes, but not stopped. So a cracked plate is useless.

"So, if that's true, than a never before used plate, which has retained its lamination and has no abrasions scratches or use for that matter, should be fine. But, that's considering that stuff is true. Anyone know anything about this? Can you present a reliable source for your knowledge? Thanks!"

It would make sense that it would be true, if the laminate isn't damaged..there wouldn't be a way for it to get moisture under the coat of laminate.
    TrunkMonkey
    TrunkMonkey

Post  TrunkMonkey 03.11.11 18:49

If you are buying used (E)sapi plates, you will need to check the corners and lips of the plates. The expiration on them varies as stated but that just means that they a no longer accepted by the owner. Just like every time a team comes back from out side the wire all batteries are changed, even if not used. You also will want to get them x rayed before you buy them. A hairline crack renders it useless and all you have is a 8lb paper weight, or something a airsofter could put in a vest and be uber cool man cause I have real plates. The plates are pretty fragile, due to contrary belief.

(Thats all from reputable sources)

Can I ask why you are buying plates? I cannot bash because I have had a set and have some Esapi's now but I got them for some classes I am taking that require it.
    Twitch
    Twitch

Post  Twitch 03.11.11 19:02

Lol, chandler if only you could see the plates the military issues us. They have been ridiculously abused but they are durable as hell.

Not saying I trust them. I honestly dont think they are going to stop an 7.62 armor piercing. But thats just me.
    TrunkMonkey
    TrunkMonkey

Post  TrunkMonkey 03.11.11 19:56

Well aware of them, but yet those too are cycled out eventually.

Its all a risk, i mean if you ever have to rely on one your getting shot at so your situation is already FUBAR'd.
    wolf six

Post  wolf six 03.11.11 20:03

Aggressor wrote:And your reliable source of this information is?

sorry i have to plead the 5th on that one. i don't give bad intel

Eon_Blue wrote:Ballistic Plates are super sturdy, I could understand if water got on them..deterioration would make sense to me. But if they are literally just sitting there, I see no reason why they would defect?

Whoever thinks that these plates would still stop a bullet after they've been broken/cracked, needs to re-evaluate this 100%. The cracks will flex as soon as the bullet hits it, crack more..and the bullet will go through..slowed..yes, but not stopped. So a cracked plate is useless.

"So, if that's true, than a never before used plate, which has retained its lamination and has no abrasions scratches or use for that matter, should be fine. But, that's considering that stuff is true. Anyone know anything about this? Can you present a reliable source for your knowledge? Thanks!"

It would make sense that it would be true, if the laminate isn't damaged..there wouldn't be a way for it to get moisture under the coat of laminate.

comming from the guy who says you can get a 1200 yard kill with a 5.56 Razz

the plates are a sandwich of ballistic plate+ thin metal sheet+ very thick Kevlar, the plate stops the first two or three rounds, but the others get slowed down by the plate shards and caught by the kevlar backing. Also plates can have chips and hold up to fire, IF they round doesn't hit the affected area

Post  Guest 03.11.11 22:41

I wanted to buy training plates because I want to train with them, feel the weight, hopefully get them issued for the Aggressor Platoon so we can use them in all our training. However,I saw that for just 75$ more in some cases you can get the real thing, albeit expired. Might as well grab that instead.
    Eon_Blue
    Eon_Blue

Post  Eon_Blue 05.11.11 19:04

wolf six wrote:
    Aggressor wrote:And your reliable source of this information is?

sorry i have to plead the 5th on that one. i don't give bad intel

Eon_Blue wrote:Ballistic Plates are super sturdy, I could understand if water got on them..deterioration would make sense to me. But if they are literally just sitting there, I see no reason why they would defect?

comming from the guy who says you can get a 1200 yard kill with a 5.56 Razz

the plates are a sandwich of ballistic plate+ thin metal sheet+ very thick Kevlar, the plate stops the first two or three rounds, but the others get slowed down by the plate shards and caught by the kevlar backing. Also plates can have chips and hold up to fire, IF they round doesn't hit the affected area

Lol, you just explained what I already did...if the bullet hits a cracked area in the plate..the bullet is slowed, but not stopped. Assuming they all have kevlar backing(which not all do.) and IF they do, it's not a thick backing. And the bullet will be slowed, but not stopped.
    savoy6
    savoy6

Post  savoy6 06.11.11 0:20

Aggressor wrote:I wanted to buy training plates because I want to train with them, feel the weight, hopefully get them issued for the Aggressor Platoon so we can use them in all our training. However,I saw that for just 75$ more in some cases you can get the real thing, albeit expired. Might as well grab that instead.
    ummmmmmm .....if you just want to have the proper weight to your equipment for training...why would you want to spend extra for expired plates,that weight the same,just because they are "real"?
    just wondered, since we are already deep into a discussion on micro-cracks and x-raying plates and such.. Very Happy

Post  Guest 06.11.11 10:48

Why not? The training plates aren't completely on spec either. They weigh just a tad less and are slightly bigger. Yeah, no big deal, but still, why not? training plates for 230$ ; real thing for 300$. If the real thing was completely good to go, without any flaws (which is the point of contention so I wouldn't get those instead if I had a doubt in my mind), why wouldn't I take that over the training plates?
    savoy6
    savoy6

Post  savoy6 06.11.11 11:02

jeeeezzz.....$230 for a fake plate? Shocked Shocked Shocked ..and i thought WW2 repop stuff was expensive...lol....didn't know the prices were that close.....
    Twitch
    Twitch

Post  Twitch 06.11.11 11:48

Good kit is always expensive. You pay for quality.
    NJSC
    NJSC
    Admin

Post  NJSC 06.11.11 12:03

If they are for training purposes then expired shouldn't be a bit of a problem.

Post  Guest 06.11.11 14:56

The thing about that is, if its not still good to go, there is no use in getting the SAPI plates over the training plates. I don't plan on ever getting shot at (in my own country at least), but I suppose you could say having the SAPI plates over the training plates would be more of a novelty issue. In the end, they ARE actually functional. If not, no point in choosing them over the training plates.

Post  Guest 08.11.11 12:25

UPDATE: I've found some great training plates for a good price (130$), the cost difference well outweighs the novelty of having the real thing. So, I am no longer looking at buying the ESAPI/SAPI plates, however, I still think this topic is interesting to discuss. Anyone dug anything else up? Savoy6 said something about Xrays, does that detect microcracks or something?
    savoy6
    savoy6

Post  savoy6 08.11.11 20:33

actually trunkmonkey did....but yes,x-raying can be used to detect micro cracks in the plates and materials...
    TrunkMonkey
    TrunkMonkey

Post  TrunkMonkey 08.11.11 22:08

Just beeing alittle blunt here but...

Why the hell are you buying training plates? That seems like the BIGGEST waste of money I have seen in a while. Either buy expired real plates for that same cost (130-150) or get plastic ones and fill them with sand.

Post  Guest 08.11.11 22:41

Neutral Im gunna pretend that didn't happen.
    TrunkMonkey
    TrunkMonkey

Post  TrunkMonkey 09.11.11 8:37

I just dont see the logic.

If you can get real sapi's for the same price... why not? OR you can just fill the plastic ones with sand. I dont see the purpose of buying something for 'training' that can be replaced by the 'real' thing for the same price.
    Twitch
    Twitch

Post  Twitch 09.11.11 8:54

Training plates are 130 while the expired sapis are 230...so they are not the same price.
    TrunkMonkey
    TrunkMonkey

Post  TrunkMonkey 09.11.11 14:36

Where are they 230? I have seen sets of ESAPI's sell for 150.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is 26.04.24 10:13