Metro Atlanta Airsoft

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A network of airsofters in the Metro Atlanta area.

3 posters

gun gets really hot

mwilson
    mwilson

gun gets really hot Empty gun gets really hot

Post  mwilson 26.07.12 1:02

so i upgraded my v.2 gun i put a mosfet with active braking the gear box is shimmed correctly and everything seems to be right. problem is when i run an 11.1v lipo so when i fire it on auto or semi the wiring, battery, and battery connection get extremely hot like to hot to touch. i also have a G&G top tech that doest the same thing with the same battery. please help me
    S.Horton
    S.Horton

gun gets really hot Empty Re: gun gets really hot

Post  S.Horton 26.07.12 18:56

when it gets hot dose it sill fire? or just get hot
    -a|ex
    -a|ex

Post  -a|ex 26.07.12 21:24

your motor is pulling a lot of amps and your wiring can't handle it. did you also upgrade the spring or replaced the gears to 13:1? how did you verify your shimming (bevel to pinion). what's the fps and rps?

things that causes wires to heat up:
    too thin (18 awg) for amp load
    bad wire connections, not soldered, twisted connections using electrical tape
    exposed wires shorting out within the gearbox
    mwilson
    mwilson

Post  mwilson 26.07.12 22:45

its shimmed correctly ive had 3 of the best techs i know check it, it keeps firing when heated. it has a m110 spring in it with standard gears in the 416 and 16/1 in the Masada, right now i want to focus on the 416 its got the top tech low resistance wiring in it and even with a 9.6v everything gets really hot like it was on a lipo and this is after like 10-20 rounds through it. it is using a mini connector but i dont think that should make it get this hot even on a 11.1
    -a|ex
    -a|ex

Post  -a|ex 27.07.12 3:16

did it start heating up after the 3 best techs shimmed it?
    please take note of what i posted earlier. high resistance is the main cause for wire overheating. the wires cannot handle the amps going through them and is converting that energy into heat. resistance will do that in the form of bad connections (your mini plug getting loose), improper connections (bad solder joints, or lack of soldering) and exposed wiring causing shorts.

shimming will cause the motor to pull more amps from the battery which will cause thin wires to heat up. low resistance wires cannot handle a certain amount amps. if it's 18awg, it will not handle over 20 amps efficiently. low resistance 18awg may not handle over 25amps. but i do know it doesn't handle 30amps well. wire length also increases resistance.

what is your fps and rps? this is part of diagnosing the problem. high resistance will cause the rps to drop. fps is a reference point to calculate what the rps should be with that battery.

also note: if you upgraded your piston, it may be binding in the piston guide which can also cause a higher amp load.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is 26.04.24 19:41