Metro Atlanta Airsoft

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A network of airsofters in the Metro Atlanta area.

5 posters

Silencers/barrel extensions to support a longer inner barrel?

Phoenix
    Phoenix

Silencers/barrel extensions to support a longer inner barrel? Empty Silencers/barrel extensions to support a longer inner barrel?

Post  Phoenix 04.02.09 19:02

I am looking for a silencer/barrel extension to go with 6.03mm Prometheus barrel that is going to be 116mm longer than my stock barrel. I am trying to find one that will support the barrel so there won't be any wobble. I'v heard of people fixing it by wrapping the inner barrel in cloth or with e-tape, but I'd like to avoid that if I can. Anybody got some ideas?

Silencers/barrel extensions to support a longer inner barrel? Empty Re: Silencers/barrel extensions to support a longer inner barrel?

Post  |337 04.02.09 22:38

Well what is wrong with wrapping it in something? the other option is to use tp or something that doesn't leave a residue.
    Phoenix
    Phoenix

Silencers/barrel extensions to support a longer inner barrel? Empty Re: Silencers/barrel extensions to support a longer inner barrel?

Post  Phoenix 04.02.09 22:55

I'm just not sure how well I could stabilize it my just wrapping it in electrical tape. I was hoping there would be a silencer or barrel extension out there that would actually fit around the barrel pretty tightly.
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin 04.02.09 22:59

Phoenix wrote:I'm just not sure how well I could stabilize it my just wrapping it in electrical tape. I was hoping there would be a silencer or barrel extension out there that would actually fit around the barrel pretty tightly.
    It'll be as stable as a normal barrel. Most outer barrels do not touch the inner barrel, and barrel wobble isn't a big issue unless you're going with a very long barrel (like an M16 length). But electrical tape spacers will be rock-solid. You *could* buy laylax spacers, but paying for something when you can make it doesn't make a whole lot of sense IMO.
    Chief
    Chief

Post  Chief 05.02.09 0:07

There are various ways of eliminating barrel wobble but it ultimately depends on the silencer, the gun and how the two for together. I have used electrical tape, lalax spacers, o'rings, and with my SRC silencer I used "Great Stuff" foam!

I used the foam because the silencer ends would not come off. If one or both ends of the silencer come off, there are easier ways to accomplish the same task.
    I won't get into all the details here on all the options but the foam is pretty easy to explain.

I took my SCR silencer sprayed "Great Stuff" foam inside (using the straw to make sure it was filled) I smeared a light coating of auto grease on an old barrel (so the foam doesn't stick to the barrel), put the old barrel through the silencer making sure it was properly centered, let the foam dry, pulled the barrel out after it dried. The guns inner barrel should fits snugly in the silencer.

** Make sure to use an old barrel you will never need in the future! Also make sure the barrel is centered in the silencer as the foam dries! **

When dried, pull the barrel out, cut away any excess foam. You will also need to scrape away the excess foam from the threads of the silencer. If need be you can use a long drill bit to straiten the hole (just don't re-drill too much or you will have defeated the whole purpose!) Sand down to look pretty and touch up with paint.
    Crazy Twitch

Post  Crazy Twitch 05.02.09 15:44

My friend does excatly what your talking about. I've actually see people play at George Town with their barrels sticking out of their gun by 4 inches. The silencer will barley stablize it but more cover it up. The barrel should be good. My brother played with a barrel sticking out 4 1/2 inches out of his gun. His g-spec silencer just covers it up. So you should be fine. You dont have to wrap it up.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is 02.05.24 8:57