Metro Atlanta Airsoft

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A network of airsofters in the Metro Atlanta area.

3 posters

how to make your very own Army of 2 mask for under $50

jjmittelman
    jjmittelman

how to make your very own Army of 2 mask for under $50 Empty how to make your very own Army of 2 mask for under $50

Post  jjmittelman 07.08.10 23:26

Hey! you want an Army of 2 mask but dont have the money? well how about u just make it! its really simple! read all directions before starting and refer to http://www.airsoftpost.com/product_info.php?cPath=30_154&products_id=29787 for all picture references

Heres what u need to probably buy:
    1-8sqft bondo brand fiberglass mat found at Ace Hardware (the thickest you can get)
    1-can of bondo brand fiberglass resin also at Ace Hardware
    1-sheet of insulating foam
    1-small sheet of galvanized steel (thick but still easily bendable)
    5-plastic belt buckles and straps (like found on boyscout approved belts)
    5-pop-rivets
    1-Can of your favorite spray paint (i used flat black for use on metal)
    Lots-soft foam or padding from inside a baseball helmet
    1-can of spray adhesive
    1-roll of aluminum foil
    1-roll of duct tape

Tools needed:
    Sand paper
    Jigsaw
    Drill(large and small bits needed)
    pop rivet-gun

Step1
    Measure ur head because u dont wanna go through this and it not fit

Step2
    Cut 8 identical rectangles out of the insulating foam adding 2cm to whatever your head's dimensions were. Then using the spray adhesive, glue them together to make a large foam block.

Step3
    Using the amazing photos on Evike.com, a razorblade and very coarse sand paper, sculp your block. this will be very grueling so i recommend using a mouse sander if you have one. keep in mind you lose details in the sculpture later so make sure they stick out alot more than u need them too!

Step4
    Cover the sculpture in duct tape making sure there is no exposed foam. VERY IMPORTANT
    (Also you will notice u have probably lost alot of details u worked so hard on making stand out on the foam. go back and make it stand out more if needed.)

Step5
    Follow the instructions on the fiberglass resin can to cover the sculpture in 2 layers of your fiberglass. you will want gloves for this. also make sure u are in a ventilated area and don't come in contact with the resin. this is also where u will need the aluminum foil to set the cut strips of fiberglass on while u soak them in the resin.

Step6
    After letting it cure, cut the mask off the sculpture. You will need to sand it as smooth as u can and then cover it with one more coating of resin to fill any and all pinholes and make it smooth.

Step7
    Repeat step 6 until it is perfectly smooth

Step8
    Cut the mask down to the shape of the final mask. u will also want to cut out the eye-holes now if you havent already. what i did for that is outline a pair of sunglasses to get the shape of the hole in mind. I then drilled a large hole in the center of the eye. i then used a jigsaw to cut out the eye shape being careful to make sure its symmetrical

Step9
    Paint it however u want

Step10
    Cut the sheet of metal so it will cover the eye holes with plenty of extra metal

Step11
    Punch plenty of holes in the metal with hammer and nail but make sure they are spaced apart enough so the metal isnt weakened. test it with your most powerful gun. also make sure bb's wont fracture and fly into your eyes at this point in the project. Another good idea is to file down the edges of the holes. u should do that with any metal working project anyway.

Step12
    Line the metal eye guard up inside the mask so you can glue it in using fiberglass resin. if you want it in there tightly cut out some fiberglass and put it along the edge so the eye guard is part of the mask as well.

Step13
    Drill 5 evenly spaced small holes along the back of the mask. This is for the straps. You will punch a small hole in the end of each strap and feed a rivet through it and one of the small holes in the mask. then rivet it with the pop rivet-gun. repeat for all 5 holes

Step14
    Once all of the straps are in, thread the buckles on. for the opposite side of the buckle, use remaining strap and sew all of the ends together. refer to EVIKE again here if confused about strap configuration.

Step 15
    Using the spray adhesive, glue the soft foam inside of the mask in strategic spots for maximum comfort.

Tada! you should now have a mask. sorry about lack of pictures. i'm too poor for a camera.

Last edited by jjmittelman on 25.10.10 21:08; edited 1 time in total
    Takfire
    Takfire

how to make your very own Army of 2 mask for under $50 Empty Re: how to make your very own Army of 2 mask for under $50

Post  Takfire 08.08.10 20:04

Nice write up Mittleman!
    Would be great with some pics at each step.
    Come see me at the shop. I have a loaner camera.
    Just PM me before you come.
    NJSC
    NJSC
    Admin

how to make your very own Army of 2 mask for under $50 Empty Re: how to make your very own Army of 2 mask for under $50

Post  NJSC 11.08.10 11:02

wait wait wait... for your eye covers you are cutting sheet metal then punching holes in it with a nail? That's a lot of sharp metal shards very close to your eye.
    jjmittelman
    jjmittelman

Post  jjmittelman 25.10.10 21:06

NJSC wrote:wait wait wait... for your eye covers you are cutting sheet metal then punching holes in it with a nail? That's a lot of sharp metal shards very close to your eye.

That is why its important to take a file to the metal before attaching it to the mask. It takes a while but it gets the job done... and the metal is alot stronger than u may think.... a UTG L96 w/ .28g bbs at point blank can hardly dent it without the holes and because of the nature of the metal, the holes actually give it alot of structural integrity which also increases its strength... if u dont believe me try it urself.
    NJSC
    NJSC
    Admin

Post  NJSC 27.10.10 22:36

I have heard that steel speaker covers work very well. Just be careful with that dude, there's no growing eyes back.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is 07.05.24 5:19