Metro Atlanta Airsoft

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A network of airsofters in the Metro Atlanta area.

+5
Rhino
#CW!!ZERO
-a|ex
sniper2525
G force
9 posters

want to build a V2 gearbox for sniper platform

G force
    G force

want to build a V2 gearbox for sniper platform Empty want to build a V2 gearbox for sniper platform

Post  G force 17.02.11 11:52

I need some input on what is the better and best parts to build a V2 gearbox to drop in a M16 SPR. My only experance so far is with the China made stuff and now its time to move up. I now have enough confadice to build my own gearbox after a few years of working on my 6 - JGs(now back ups and loaners). This will be a completly new build, I don't have any parts on hand that want to use. If it's more pratical to buy a complet gearbox and build it out from there I am open to that also. Now here is the tough part I would like to do it for less than $200.00, so Systema is probaly off the table. Looking for 550fps when complete. I have just enough knowlage to get myself in trouble and none on good parts so any help would be great. Help a noob!
    Whats the better and best of the following:
    complet gearbox (what would have to be changed out.)
    shell w/ball bearing bushings (does the size of the bushings matter?)
    gears (able to push a 170 if needed)
    piston,piston head (my weakest understanding of a gearbox so many diff types)
    cylinder and head (next weakest understanding of a gearbox... ported, not ported, alm,ect. i don't know what the differances are.)
    air nozzle ( it is my understanding not all are created equal) metal or poly?
    tappet plate
    spring and spring guide
    wiring harness and trigger switch assembly (i like switch w/ the built in ab mosfit may be to pricey for me at this time)
    selector plate
    cut off lever, anti-rev, spring guide and mis. springs (simple things but quality is important)
    motor to push all this stuff
    AB mosfet (seems like Reeds is the one to get)
    Think of it as your own gun build and the few $$$ you had to work with.
    sniper2525
    sniper2525

want to build a V2 gearbox for sniper platform Empty Re: want to build a V2 gearbox for sniper platform

Post  sniper2525 17.02.11 14:02

Get a modify 8mm gearbox it is the only one that can reliably sustain high fps with the v2 design. Any thing else will break including junk systema.
    you can run bushings or bearings make sure there modify either way bc they are both great
    M170 spring (anything but systema)
    quantum piston
    aluminum piston head
    ball bearing spring guide
    magnum motor
    torque gear set shs makes cheap and reliable ones
    any cylinder and cylinder head just make sure its a type 0. Also decide if you want to go bore up or standard
    11.1 lipo
    reeds ab mosfet
    madbul blue bucking
    wiring harness whatever is cheapest but G&P's are good
    fyi to do this right you cant go cheap so you most likely will spend more than 200.
    if you do it cheap it will break
    -a|ex
    -a|ex

want to build a V2 gearbox for sniper platform Empty Re: want to build a V2 gearbox for sniper platform

Post  -a|ex 17.02.11 14:30

if you want reliable, stay with m150.
    any high torque gears (i use element)
    matrix magnum
    i use a cheap poly piston metal rack aluminum PH
    runs all day on 9.6v 1600 mAH (assuming you stay on semi-auto)
    madbull blue has better seal than guarder 70 degree

i took it apart after saturday's ACZ game. no wear.
    no need to hit exactly at 550 fps unless you want to use .40g bb
    i use .30g (.40's cost too much)
    minimum 509mm (mine isn't a TBB)
    cylinder needs to be type 0 (no ports)
    i have reed's mosfet on it with stock wiring (dean's connector)

the GB is a v6 but it uses standard v2 internals (except for trigger system, tappet plate and cylinder head).
    i had sorbo, but it was too thin or the wrong type and it shredded.

i put an m170 (guarder sp170) in my tavor and it hit around 580-590 fps.
    going m170 usually requires LiPo, i used 2x 9.6v wired in parallel to pull the m170 with a matrix magnum.

i forgot to mention, i had a helluva time squeezing in an m170 spring into a v6 gearbox. i can't imagine trying to get one into a v2.
    G force
    G force

Post  G force 17.02.11 20:45

Good info thanks. I don't plan to put anything bigger than a m150. I would like to stay with a 9.6 batt, becuse its what I use with all my guns. i'm going to have to do a littel research about the bore up kit. Just put the numbers together on the different options and $200 not gona get me there, I will be doing good to stay under $300.. Keep your suggestions coming,
    #CW!!ZERO
    #CW!!ZERO

Post  #CW!!ZERO 18.02.11 1:09

I second what sniper2525 says, thats pretty much what we would do if we were gonna build a high fps gun. With a modify gb a 170 will do just fine without any problems.
    -a|ex
    -a|ex

Post  -a|ex 18.02.11 10:40

enjoy...

Rhino
    Rhino

Post  Rhino 18.02.11 12:10

-a|ex wrote:enjoy...

If you insert a small screw driver into the hole in the back of the spring guide things will go a lot easier for you. If you think a V6 is hard try a V7 with a M170
    G force
    G force

Post  G force 20.02.11 19:39

Thanks for the help guys. I am going hold off on building one. I wanted to make a good one but it's going to cost more than I want to spend at this time. If I am going to invest that much I would like to go to a SR-25 for some realism. My son realy wants a sniper so I am looking at this matrix/Aim Top drop in for his SPR http://www.airsoftpost.com/product_info.php?cPath=24_68_518&products_id=30443 with the magnum motor $155.00. I haven't had much luck with the Aim Top. We bought 3 last year and had issues with all 3, but those where the cheaper ones http://www.airsoftpost.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_44_616&products_id=33420 I will let yall know how it goes.

Last edited by G force on 21.02.11 12:38; edited 1 time in total
    poopdaddy
    poopdaddy

Post  poopdaddy 20.02.11 20:01

if you get the drop in aim box
    get a modify torus box
    modify type O cyl.
    and a alum. piston head
    and air seal nozzle
    (the aim/matrix uses a odd size bore up-but with the modify cyl you get a great air seal)
    its an extra 100 bucks or so,but well worth it in the long run
    the gears,piston,and bearings in the aim work real well
    the spring tends to bend and the trigger switch is just plain BAD
    it clicks and pops and the contacts will fry on a AA battery
    all in all you can use the aim box to build a m120 or m130 box and it will last
    but you WILL break the front off with a m150,60,or70 spring
    but if you replace the above listed items
    you can run a m170 with no trouble
    pm me if you want some more info
    and i can give you a part # list of what i used in mine
    G force
    G force

Post  G force 22.02.11 9:57

Are King Arms gear boxes any good? Check this one out http://www.wgcshop.com/wgc2008/main/product_detail1.php?search_From=category&item=KA-GB-26&search=special&rs=Completed Gearbox Sets&catid=14&cat=113 $123 not too bad. You can also get one with a 190spring thats insane and i don't know of any feilds you could use that.
    sniper2525
    sniper2525

Post  sniper2525 22.02.11 13:55

G force wrote:Are King Arms gear boxes any good? Check this one out http://www.wgcshop.com/wgc2008/main/product_detail1.php?search_From=category&item=KA-GB-26&search=special&rs=Completed Gearbox Sets&catid=14&cat=113 $123 not too bad. You can also get one with a 190spring thats insane and i don't know of any feilds you could use that.

no
    Silent_Option
    Silent_Option

Post  Silent_Option 03.03.11 11:44

poopdaddy wrote:if you get the drop in aim box
    get a modify torus box
    modify type O cyl.
    and a alum. piston head
    and air seal nozzle
    (the aim/matrix uses a odd size bore up-but with the modify cyl you get a great air seal)
    its an extra 100 bucks or so,but well worth it in the long run
    the gears,piston,and bearings in the aim work real well
    the spring tends to bend and the trigger switch is just plain BAD
    it clicks and pops and the contacts will fry on a AA battery
    all in all you can use the aim box to build a m120 or m130 box and it will last
    but you WILL break the front off with a m150,60,or70 spring
    but if you replace the above listed items
    you can run a m170 with no trouble

pm me if you want some more info
    and i can give you a part # list of what i used in mine

So that matrix 8mm in the 130 version-- http://www.airsoftpost.com/product_info.php?cPath=24_68_518&products_id=31563 is good as is?
    poopdaddy
    poopdaddy

Post  poopdaddy 03.03.11 12:43

yep its ok
    just change the trigger switch..
    but buy the 160 box,junk the spring and install a good one,re-shim the box,and its ok.. not sure if they use the same om for the 130 but the 160 is pretty strong.it just will not hold up to the big springs.also those boxes have a funny trigger "click" to them.
    sniper2525
    sniper2525

Post  sniper2525 03.03.11 14:27

Matrix gb = junk
    ownage1
    ownage1

Post  ownage1 03.03.11 17:55

from what i know (which is very little) tokyo marui and kwa are the only people who make reliable gearbox shells.
    these gearboxes look pretty cool, but they're expensive and on acm sites, so i wouldnt buy them
    http://www.khmountain.com/airsoft/product_info.php?products_id=2432
    http://www.ebairsoft.com/hightech-7075-aluminium-reinforced-gearbox-version-p-3488.html
    sniper2525
    sniper2525

Post  sniper2525 03.03.11 20:27

ownage1 wrote:from what i know (which is very little) tokyo marui and kwa are the only people who make reliable gearbox shells.
    these gearboxes look pretty cool, but they're expensive and on acm sites, so i wouldnt buy them
    http://www.khmountain.com/airsoft/product_info.php?products_id=2432
    http://www.ebairsoft.com/hightech-7075-aluminium-reinforced-gearbox-version-p-3488.html

You are way wrong with tokyo marui. They are weak potmetal.... KWA g2 and modify torus are the strongest end of story. Dont care what they say about other gb's including matrix junk.
    Silent_Option
    Silent_Option

Post  Silent_Option 06.03.11 1:17

poopdaddy wrote:yep its ok
    just change the trigger switch..
    but buy the 160 box,junk the spring and install a good one,re-shim the box,and its ok.. not sure if they use the same om for the 130 but the 160 is pretty strong.it just will not hold up to the big springs.also those boxes have a funny trigger "click" to them.

For the 160 GB with a 130 spring and Matrix Magnum motor and an AB Mosfet will it hold up to the 11.1v Lipo?
    G force
    G force

Post  G force 08.03.11 9:01

this looks like gb i've been looking for.
    http://www.covertairsoft.com/index.php/internal-parts/gearbox-shell/modify-torus-7mm-reainforced-gearbox-v-2.html
    i think thats a good price for that gb
    like how you can grease it and check things without opening
    at any rate looks i'm going to get this one to start the build.
    gapairsoft
    gapairsoft

Post  gapairsoft 08.03.11 9:07

G force
    G force

Post  G force 08.03.11 9:40

thanksgood point
    Silent_Option
    Silent_Option

Post  Silent_Option 08.03.11 19:53

Cheaper; because kids are expensive!

http://www.strykeairsoft.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5_106_123&products_id=675

Don't know if it was in stock though.
    G force
    G force

Post  G force 09.03.11 9:08

thanks i like cheaper
    does any one know if a V2 gb can go into a SR-25 reciver.
    just want to know if this turnes out to be a good build a may want to put it into a SR-25 at some other time.
    Silent_Option
    Silent_Option

Post  Silent_Option 09.03.11 9:28

Nope. You need a V2 gearbox with an extended cylinder area. To my knowledge, no SR-25 uses a regular V2 gearbox.

IF you built something like this http://www.airsoftpost.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_44_223&products_id=28795 they should be interchangeable, but the setup would be different for the longer barrel on the DMR I would think ( Maybe Rhino or PoopDaddy can confirm this?)
    sniper2525
    sniper2525

Post  sniper2525 09.03.11 12:34

The sr-25 uses the extended v2 gb except for the G&G sr-25 they use a standard v2 which is pointless in my opinion...

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is 02.05.24 7:29