Metro Atlanta Airsoft

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A network of airsofters in the Metro Atlanta area.

3 posters

Upgrading Army L85

Saiyaman

Upgrading Army L85 Empty Upgrading Army L85

Post  Saiyaman 19.03.09 15:14

Ok, So I think I'm ready to upgrade my rifle from it's sub-par 315-ish fps... b/c I want to shoot more ppl.

From my understanding, I need to upgrade the spring to a m120 spring. Then I know I need a SR-25 or CA-25 piston and a spring guider.

If I do just that, Will I be able to upgrade my fps successfully and not damage my gun? I also know that i may need to use the 9.6v battery from then on. Is there anything I need to reinforce to do that?

Finally I read something about re-machining shims or something.

I just want to be able to put in the m120 spring, and reinforce,upgrade whatever necessary to let that run smootly in my rifle without causing damage. Nothing extra-ordinary.

Admin, I know you said it's not worth pumping a lot of money into a sub quality rifle but, Just enough to get around 380-400fps is all I really want.
    Saiyaman

Upgrading Army L85 Empty Re: Upgrading Army L85

Post  Saiyaman 19.03.09 15:16

... I posted in the wrong area..... Sorry
    Rhino
    Rhino

Post  Rhino 19.03.09 15:40

I can get you squared away at airdog... I would recommend piston, spring, reshim the gear box, and steel bushing if they are plastic. The gun would be around 380-410fps and it would hold up nicely!
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin 19.03.09 19:08

+1 on what Rhino said. The gears should all hold up.
    Also, consider upgrading the hopup. A nice3 Systema enhance or prometheus hopup bucking and possibly an hnub would give you a really nice boost in accuracy and range without breaking the bank.

Here's also a great guide written by CW Zero about how to polish your barrel to get more accuracy: https://metroatlantaairsoft.darkbb.com/upgrades-and-accessories-f9/this-is-huge-comparing-601mm-tightbore-to-a-608mm-stock-barrel-polishing-your-barrel-for-more-accuracy-t264.htm#2272
    Saiyaman

Post  Saiyaman 19.03.09 19:14

That's exactly what kind of fps I'm looking for. I think I will take you on your offer Rhino. but just to be sure, I don't have to do anything right? I have severe doubts with my ability to successfully pull these upgrades off.

What's a rough estimate for these things? I definitely get paid next week but maybe I have enough on me right now so that I can drive down this weekend.

I'm excited. So after those upgrades, I will probably need a 9.6 battery?

Thanks again guys
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin 19.03.09 19:22

^For parts, if you just want to do the gearbox, it'll be $40-50.
    If you want to upgrade the hopup bucking (which I HIGHLY recommend), add another $8-12.
    That's the price if you want to do it yourself. If you're good with electronics/machines, and have a teammate/friend that can help you if you get stuck, you could probably get by doing it yourself.
    Here's some instructional videos for the L85: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMl-LRElKZ8 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxMbpubitoA
    Although shimming will prove to be a challenge if you've never worked on gearboxes before.
    If you want rhino to do it, it'll be an extra $40? (correct me if I'm wrong).
    You'll probably need a 9.6v. Just judging from what the RoF difference between your battery and my battery was at the game, I can tell you that your battery will have a hard time pulling an M120. A 9.6v mini will probably be about $30.
    Rhino
    Rhino

Post  Rhino 19.03.09 20:10

Admin wrote:^For parts, if you just want to do the gearbox, it'll be $40-50.
    If you want to upgrade the hopup bucking (which I HIGHLY recommend), add another $8-12.
    That's the price if you want to do it yourself. If you're good with electronics/machines, and have a teammate/friend that can help you if you get stuck, you could probably get by doing it yourself.
    Here's some instructional videos for the L85: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMl-LRElKZ8 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxMbpubitoA
    Although shimming will prove to be a challenge if you've never worked on gearboxes before.
    If you want rhino to do it, it'll be an extra $40? (correct me if I'm wrong).
    You'll probably need a 9.6v. Just judging from what the RoF difference between your battery and my battery was at the game, I can tell you that your battery will have a hard time pulling an M120. A 9.6v mini will probably be about $30.

You about hit it right on the head! There are several options on parts, but thats a good basis on pricing. I can go over the different option when you come in to the shop or you can always give it to me at a game.
    Saiyaman

Post  Saiyaman 19.03.09 20:22

ok, so pardon my noob question but. When you mean do the gearbox, you mean upgrade the spring and piston and reshim right? Not get a new gearbox or anything.

That doesn't seem very expensive. Ok, now what is the benefit of upgrading the hop up bucking?

I have another problem in that my battery takes a large connector, but it won't fit large batteries, it's made for minis. I know I can buy a plug adopter to make it easier but another option my friend was speaking of is to cut the wires and retip the large connector. Have you tried or seen anyone try that?

For about 60ish I can do everything but the battery. I think I will head down on Thursday the 26th. My only concern is that is just 2 days away from the skirmish, If things don't work out, I will be in trouble.

Thanks for the help, and the videos.

Oh last question for parts, do I need to know which parts I will require or can I figure that out at the shop?
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin 19.03.09 20:34

Saiyaman wrote:ok, so pardon my noob question but. When you mean do the gearbox, you mean upgrade the spring and piston and reshim right? Not get a new gearbox or anything.
    No, by "do the gearbox", I mean just upgrade the gearbox and not the hopup. You shouldn't need a new gearbox shell. I'm not sure if they even make aftermarket shells for the L85 since it's not one of the standard Marui designs.

That doesn't seem very expensive. Ok, now what is the benefit of upgrading the hop up bucking?
    Increased accuracy and range. Swapping a stock clone bucking for a good aftermarket one is probably a better bang-for-your-buck upgrade than anything else you can do.

I have another problem in that my battery takes a large connector, but it won't fit large batteries, it's made for minis. I know I can buy a plug adopter to make it easier but another option my friend was speaking of is to cut the wires and retip the large connector. Have you tried or seen anyone try that?
    Yep, I did it to my G36. A new connector is like 50 cents-$1.

For about 60ish I can do everything but the battery. I think I will head down on Thursday the 26th. My only concern is that is just 2 days away from the skirmish, If things don't work out, I will be in trouble.
    I would not recommend upgrading this close to a game, especially if you're doing the upgrades yourself. If the gun will get the job done as it is, the just play with it like it is for now. I'd just wait until after the game. If you're having rhino do the upgrades, you could probably just give it to him after the game, and if not, you could maybe talk to rhino, tak, or zartan ahead of time and arrange to buy the parts at the game.

Thanks for the help, and the videos.

Oh last question for parts, do I need to know which parts I will require or can I figure that out at the shop? I'd have a general idea of what you want, and make sure that they have compatible pistons before you go there.

Answers in red.
    Saiyaman

Post  Saiyaman 20.03.09 0:30

great info Admin, definitely.

Well I don't know if I would be able to resist upgrading until after the skirmish. That just seems like an eternity.

But logically, If I do upgrade, I'll still only have 1 mag..... Decisions Decisions.

Alright, Time to plan my trip to newnan.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is 06.05.24 12:17