Metro Atlanta Airsoft

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A network of airsofters in the Metro Atlanta area.

+4
#CW!!ZERO
Lone Wolf
{PWNY} RED
8 posters

TSD SD96 (L96) upgrading

{PWNY} RED
    {PWNY} RED

TSD SD96 (L96)  upgrading Empty TSD SD96 (L96) upgrading

Post  {PWNY} RED 23.03.09 1:18

well i have a few questions and im a bit confused.. i never upgraded much before,
    on this sniper model the TSD SD96 im looking on airsoftatlanta for upgrades,
    first of what all do i need, i want to get that .30 shooting straighter and faster.. its stock now
    i see an upgrade section called asp2/Type 96 internals.. are these different guns or is the ASP2 same thing as Type 96,?
    i dont want to buy a part i cant use
    the reason i ask is cause the only springs i see on that page are ASP2? and none 96.. will they work??
    what all do i need without breaking my gun using a heavy spring, what spring is reccomended to put that .30 moving effectively such as 450 or even 500 fps?
    please help lol
    Lone Wolf
    Lone Wolf

TSD SD96 (L96)  upgrading Empty Re: TSD SD96 (L96) upgrading

Post  Lone Wolf 23.03.09 6:54

{PWNY} RED wrote:well i have a few questions and im a bit confused.. i never upgraded much before,
    on this sniper model the TSD SD96 im looking on airsoftatlanta for upgrades,
    first of what all do i need, i want to get that .30 shooting straighter and faster.. its stock now

i see an upgrade section called asp2/Type 96 internals.. are these different guns or is the ASP2 same thing as Type 96,? From the looks, yes.

i dont want to buy a part i cant use
    the reason i ask is cause the only springs i see on that page are ASP2? and none 96.. will they work??

what all do i need without breaking my gun using a heavy spring, what spring is reccomended to put that .30 moving effectively such as 450 or even 500 fps?
    Most likely a M160, but you would definitely need upgrades, or need to use a lighter bb Razz

please help lol

In blue, I did the best I could

Post  |337 23.03.09 8:13

You might want to use a m150 and biovalls, they are the best ammo out there and will be the most consistant. Not to mention the higher the spring the harder it is on the gun and the harder the bolt pull.
    #CW!!ZERO
    #CW!!ZERO

Post  #CW!!ZERO 23.03.09 18:58

I used to run a 190 and it wasnt that bad at all, and I normally run a 170 and thats nothing at all, but I have never used the bioval bb's but i can personally say that SGM .29 bb's are worth it, they are by far the most superior bb's I have ever used but I have heard that the bioval bb's are just as good, but I have not confirmed that.
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin 23.03.09 19:40

#CW!!ZERO wrote:I used to run a 190 and it wasnt that bad at all, and I normally run a 170 and thats nothing at all, but I have never used the bioval bb's but i can personally say that SGM .29 bb's are worth it, they are by far the most superior bb's I have ever used but I have heard that the bioval bb's are just as good, but I have not confirmed that.
    I personally did a blind test a while back between Bioval .27g BBBMAX BB's and SGM's, and I found that Bioval's were slightly better. They're also cheaper than SGM's, but they're a little hard to find. You can either get them from
    http://www.dedusa.com/products/NON-MARKING%20ROUNDS/BIOTECH
    or
    http://www.airsoftextreme.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=480_401&products_id=3717
    or
    http://www.nashvilleairsoft.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=1951&category_id=126&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=37
    But they're sold out.
    {PWNY} RED
    {PWNY} RED

Post  {PWNY} RED 23.03.09 20:16

ok so i lookin at a 190 spring, but what would that put my fps with .30's? and what else should i get ?
    Chief
    Chief

Post  Chief 24.03.09 7:33

If you want to use the gun at the AIRDog events, your going to have to use a 150 spring (maybe a 170 depending on your L96). That, along with some additional internals, will put you right at their limit of 500 fps with .20's.

I'll get back on later today and list out what Joker put in his L96. All the parts are from Airsoft Atlanta.

A word to all snipers...
    I trust the other snipers out there are abiding by the FPS rules. It's just plain wrong not too. Not just for safety, but in fairness to the others who do abide by the FPS (with .20's) rules. Besides, taking out another sniper, when you go over the FPS limit and they don't, totally negates any claims to your skill as a sniper.

Last edited by Chief on 24.03.09 7:35; edited 1 time in total
    #CW!!ZERO
    #CW!!ZERO

Post  #CW!!ZERO 24.03.09 7:35

Admin wrote:
    #CW!!ZERO wrote:I used to run a 190 and it wasnt that bad at all, and I normally run a 170 and thats nothing at all, but I have never used the bioval bb's but i can personally say that SGM .29 bb's are worth it, they are by far the most superior bb's I have ever used but I have heard that the bioval bb's are just as good, but I have not confirmed that.
    I personally did a blind test a while back between Bioval .27g BBBMAX BB's and SGM's, and I found that Bioval's were slightly better. They're also cheaper than SGM's, but they're a little hard to find. You can either get them from
    http://www.dedusa.com/products/NON-MARKING%20ROUNDS/BIOTECH
    or
    http://www.airsoftextreme.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=480_401&products_id=3717
    or
    http://www.nashvilleairsoft.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=1951&category_id=126&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=37
    But they're sold out.

Are they really, wow, I guess I wont be buying SGM bb's anymore, but the 190 should put you at around 630 with .2g bb's, and if you get a tightbore (I had a 6.01 and I was pushing around 700fps) but that should be the fps range.
    #CW!!ZERO
    #CW!!ZERO

Post  #CW!!ZERO 24.03.09 7:38

Chief wrote:If you want to use the gun at the AIRDog events, your going to have to use a 150 spring (maybe a 170 depending on your L96). That, along with some additional internals, will put you right at their limit of 500 fps with .20's.

I'll get back on later today and list out what Joker put in his L96. All the parts are from Airsoft Atlanta.

A word to all snipers...
    I trust the other snipers out there are abiding by the FPS rules. It's just plain wrong not too. Not just for safety, but in fairness to the others who do abide by the FPS (with .20's) rules. Besides, taking out another sniper, when you go over the FPS limit and they don't, totally negates any claims to your skill as a sniper.

I personally hate that fields wont let sniper have 600fps, because anyone that has ever sniped knows that you need range, I had every accuracy upgrade ppossbile in my g-spec and still sometimes you miss and if your only 150feet away then all an AEG has to do is run about 30 feet and they can eliminate you, thats why I like a high fps.
    Chief
    Chief

Post  Chief 24.03.09 8:29

#CW!!ZERO wrote:I personally hate that fields wont let sniper have 600fps, because anyone that has ever sniped knows that you need range, I had every accuracy upgrade ppossbile in my g-spec and still sometimes you miss and if your only 150feet away then all an AEG has to do is run about 30 feet and they can eliminate you, thats why I like a high fps.

I like high FPS also. I would prefer 550-600. But what's worse than fields that have "low" FPS are those who don't abide by the rules of that field.

All sports have rules and age/weight classes to keep things fair and that's all they're doing.

One of the main reasons AIRDog does 500 is because of the younger players. Allot of them can't take the pain and have "impaired" judgment when it comes to minimum engagement distances. Some would try to bunker someone with a 600 fps sniper! I saw it happen in the last game I played! Had to tell the "sniper" that if he ever fired his sniper at someone that close he would be off the field. That sniper was a stock TSD L96 shooting around 460-475.

Now private games.... Cool
    Chief
    Chief

TSD SD96 (L96)  upgrading Empty L96 Upgrades

Post  Chief 24.03.09 12:33

Joker put the following upgrade parts into his L96 bringing it up to 500-510 FPS. (it was up to 550 at one point but is now shooting about 500-510)

All purchased from Airsoft Atlanta.
    Laylax APS2 SPG 150 Spring - 58213
    Laylax APS2 Power Accuracy Cup - 58204
    Laylax Type 96 Spring Guide w/smooth bearing - 58212
    Laylax APS2 High Pressure Piston (also fits Type 96) - 58206
    Laylax Type 96 Cylinder Head - 58215

If money is an issue, I would start in the following order
    Laylax APS2 SPG 150 Spring - 58213
    Laylax Type 96 Spring Guide w/smooth bearing - 58212
    Laylax APS2 High Pressure Piston (also fits Type 96) - 58206
    Laylax APS2 Power Accuracy Cup - 58204 - This is a piston head, it is required if you install a laylax high pressure piston!

> IMPORTANT EDIT (3/26/09): <
    The Laylax APS2 SPG 150 Spring has a larger diameter than the stock spring and WILL NOT fit into the stock L96 piston. This means that you have to purchase the Laylax APS2 High Pressure Piston (also fits Type 96) and Laylax APS2 Power Accuracy Cup to use your new spring.
    <End Edit>

I put just a new Laylax Type 96 Cylinder Head on my stock gun to see what it would do and it actually lowered my FPS.
    So I'm not convinced the Cylinder Head does you any good.

Since the first upgrade, he purchased
    Laylax Type 96 "Zero Trigger" assembly - 58327
    Laylax Type 96 Teflon Cylinder - 58214
    Both nice additions but didn't help the FPS.

I highly recommend adding
    Laylax Type 96 Barrel Spacer - 77747 (I have 3 spacers on my barrel along with the original foam ones that come with the gun)
    DBC 6.01 tight bore barrel (DBC-WAR1 - 499mm for Warrior 1 L96 Sniper Rifle)
    Some will argue that if you polished up a 6.04-6.08 will work just the same or even better. I'm not yet a subscriber to that theory.
    Here is the link to the discussion on that.
    https://metroatlantaairsoft.darkbb.com/upgrades-and-accessories-f9/this-is-huge-comparing-601mm-tightbore-to-a-608mm-stock-barrel-polishing-your-barrel-for-more-accuracy-t264.htm

On a new barrel...
    If you get something other than the DBC, make sure it has the proper machining (grooves) to work with the stock hop-up.

Hop-Up Chamber...
    We have tried 2 different aftermarket hop-ups and neither worked as advertised. Don't waste your money.

DO NOT DAMAGE THE STOCK HOP-UP BUCKING! I have yet to find one to replace it. AEG BUCKINGS DO NOT WORK WITH THE STOCK HOP-UP CHAMBER! See > IMPORTANT EDIT (3/30/09): < bellow:

I purchased this bucking from EVIKE http://www.airsoftpost.com/matrix-improved-bucking-tanaka-m700-p-26183.html
    Haven't tested it yet and it will have to be cut down (shortened) to even test.

> IMPORTANT EDIT (3/30/09): <
    Hallelujah! I found a replacement hop-up bucking for the L96's! Here's the link again (same as above)
    http://www.airsoftpost.com/matrix-improved-bucking-tanaka-m700-p-26183.html
    You do have to shorten it. Just line it up next to the stock bucking and cut it to length with some scissors.
    I have run about 200-250 rounds through the new bucking with no problems.
    I did need to add a new hop-up "buffer" or "spacer" due to wear on the plastic arm on the hop-up unit. You cannot put a full sized spacer in this unit or the hop-up is too high all the time. I had to cut a spacer in half and drop it in there. Other custom solutions do exist for this problem.

Last edited by Chief on 30.03.09 9:47; edited 2 times in total
    {PWNY} RED
    {PWNY} RED

Post  {PWNY} RED 24.03.09 13:16

supprisingly those were the same upgrades i was looking at,
    especially the power accuracy cup and high pressure piston,
    but will a 150 spring or even 170 damage a stock trigger assembly?
    Chief
    Chief

Post  Chief 24.03.09 14:57

{PWNY} RED wrote:supprisingly those were the same upgrades i was looking at,
    especially the power accuracy cup and high pressure piston,
    but will a 150 spring or even 170 damage a stock trigger assembly?
    The 150 didn't damage the trigger assembly. In reality it doesn't matter much. You can buy a new trigger assembly now, or you can wait to see how it handles the 150/170 spring. If it damages it then you get a new one. I will say that I think you would like the "zero trigger assembly" if you get one. They are sweet!

I'm going to put a 150 spring and spring guide into my L96 (nothing more for the internals at the moment) just to see what difference it makes.

I was going to order a 170 spring also but they are out of stock. Sad
    Tinman
    Tinman

Post  Tinman 24.03.09 16:45

Chief wrote:I like high FPS also. I would prefer 550-600. But what's worse than fields that have "low" FPS are those who don't abide by the rules of that field.

All sports have rules and age/weight classes to keep things fair and that's all they're doing.

Well said! I am still tweaking my SPR to get it to stay solid around 500fps for this purpose! (Also have it restricted to single shot only.)
    Thanks for the L96 upgrade list ... that is a good primer to save in case we build one out!
    #CW!!ZERO
    #CW!!ZERO

Post  #CW!!ZERO 24.03.09 17:37

[quote="Chief"]
    #CW!!ZERO wrote:
    One of the main reasons AIRDog does 500 is because of the younger players. Allot of them can't take the pain and have "impaired" judgment when it comes to minimum engagement distances. Some would try to bunker someone with a 600 fps sniper! I saw it happen in the last game I played! Had to tell the "sniper" that if he ever fired his sniper at someone that close he would be off the field. That sniper was a stock TSD L96 shooting around 460-475.

Now private games.... Cool

Very true, thats why 18 and over games are good because they usually have a higher fps limit, but was a little kid really trying to bunker someone with a sniper rifle, WOW.
    {PWNY} RED
    {PWNY} RED

Post  {PWNY} RED 24.03.09 18:11

ok i have the upgrades picked out, i also plan on adding a silencer, but DANG that tricky orange tip.. i tried heating it up in water.. is it screwed on?? anyone with a TSD 96 remove theirs? can you tell me how lol
    Twitch
    Twitch

Post  Twitch 24.03.09 18:28

If you got it from Airsoft Atlanta they glue there orange tips on.
    Chief
    Chief

Post  Chief 24.03.09 20:13

{PWNY} RED wrote:ok i have the upgrades picked out, i also plan on adding a silencer, but DANG that tricky orange tip.. i tried heating it up in water.. is it screwed on?? anyone with a TSD 96 remove theirs? can you tell me how lol
    Get the water almost boiling and then soak it. If it doesn't come off the one direction try the other. Cant remember what direction the treads are on the TSD L96's. I have taken them off of TSD's.

Last edited by Chief on 24.03.09 20:17; edited 1 time in total
    Chief
    Chief

Post  Chief 24.03.09 20:16

#CW!!ZERO wrote:Very true, thats why 18 and over games are good because they usually have a higher fps limit, but was a little kid really trying to bunker someone with a sniper rifle, WOW.
    He wasn't that little about 15 or 16. Just shows that there is a high probability of a younger person doing it.
    Chief
    Chief

TSD SD96 (L96)  upgrading Empty Important Discovery!

Post  Chief 26.03.09 9:25

Chief wrote:I'm going to put a 150 spring and spring guide into my L96 (nothing more for the internals at the moment) just to see what difference it makes.
    I got the 150 spring and spring guide in and...

Made An Important Discovery!
    The Laylax APS2 SPG 150 Spring has a larger diameter than the stock spring and WILL NOT fit into the stock L96 piston. This means that you have to purchase the Laylax APS2 High Pressure Piston (also fits Type 96) and Laylax APS2 Power Accuracy Cup to use your new spring.

Sorry for any misguidance! Embarassed

(I have also edited my previous post on L96 Upgrades to reflect this new discovery)
    Chief
    Chief

Post  Chief 30.03.09 9:50

Hallelujah! I found a replacement hop-up bucking for the L96's!
    http://www.airsoftpost.com/matrix-improved-bucking-tanaka-m700-p-26183.html
    You do have to shorten it. Just line it up next to the stock bucking and cut it to length with some scissors.
    I have run about 200-250 rounds through the new bucking with no problems.
    I did need to add a new hop-up "buffer" or "spacer" due to wear on the plastic arm on the hop-up unit. You cannot put a full sized spacer in this unit or the hop-up is too high all the time. I had to cut a spacer in half and drop it in there. Other custom solutions do exist for this problem.

[I have also edited my main post on L96 Upgrades to reflect new findings]

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is 27.04.24 16:37