Metro Atlanta Airsoft

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A network of airsofters in the Metro Atlanta area.

5 posters

Tips for 1st time AEG owners

Q-bald
    Q-bald

Tips for 1st time AEG owners Empty Tips for 1st time AEG owners

Post  Q-bald 09.06.09 21:59

I thought it might be a good idea for some of you long time AEG owners to give some good tips to new owners.
    Ya know, Like some of the do's and don't s such ad If,when,and where to lube your rifle? What to do or not do if your rifle jams,Things like that. That can help someone take care of their new awesome,(expensive!!!) purchase.Give some details from personal experience.I and so many others need to learn from your mistakes.
    NJSC
    NJSC
    Admin

Tips for 1st time AEG owners Empty Re: Tips for 1st time AEG owners

Post  NJSC 09.06.09 22:00

1. Don't dry fire.
    2. Use quality bb's
    3. Don't use anything, and I repeat ANYTHING, but 100% silicone oil
    Q-bald
    Q-bald

Post  Q-bald 09.06.09 22:34

Wow..that's so specific Rolling Eyes
    Rhino
    Rhino

Post  Rhino 09.06.09 22:40

NJSC wrote:1. Don't dry fire.

This does NOT damage the gun!
    NJSC
    NJSC
    Admin

Post  NJSC 09.06.09 22:42

but very important. I was in AA today and this kid had a jg g3 and was running dicks sporting goods bb's through it. Then some other dudes in there told him to keep using the cheap bb's just cover them in silicone oil and they'll work good. Problem is you are going to gunk up your hop up and barrel real fast. Also the cheap bb's much more often have malformed ones in them (granted this can happen with any bag of bb's so it's important to check every bag).
    NJSC
    NJSC
    Admin

Post  NJSC 09.06.09 22:43

Rhino wrote:

I've read it does.
    Rhino
    Rhino

Post  Rhino 09.06.09 22:45

NJSC wrote:but very important. I was in AA today and this kid had a jg g3 and was running dicks sporting goods bb's through it. Then some other dudes in there told him to keep using the cheap bb's just cover them in silicone oil and they'll work good. Problem is you are going to gunk up your hop up and barrel real fast. Also the cheap bb's much more often have malformed ones in them (granted this can happen with any bag of bb's so it's important to check every bag).

That has got to be the craziest crap I have heard! Spray silicone oil on them? lol! NEVER use cheap walmart or dicks BB's!
    Electioneer
    Electioneer

Post  Electioneer 09.06.09 22:48

NJSC wrote:
    Rhino wrote:

I've read it does.

I have heard that it creates suction on the cylinder head or something but im a non-believer. Dry fry away I say, its just shooting without a bb going through you barrel or hop-up. No change in the gearbox function.
    Rhino
    Rhino

Post  Rhino 09.06.09 22:49

NJSC wrote:
    Rhino wrote:

I've read it does.

You have been lied to! Dry firing does absolutly nothing to the gun! the only difference between dry firing and shooting a BB is the presence of the BB! With no BB the air come out the barrel and with a bb in the barrel the air pushes the BB out the barrel! There is nothing the BB does to the mech box or gun to make it better on the gun or mech box!
    Rhino
    Rhino

Post  Rhino 09.06.09 22:53

Electioneer wrote:
    NJSC wrote:
    Rhino wrote:

I've read it does.

I have heard that it creates suction on the cylinder head or something but im a non-believer. Dry fry away I say, its just shooting without a bb going through you barrel or hop-up. No change in the gearbox function.

lol! I love the internet for spreading BS. Some kid probably thought it was bad and then posted somewhere. Now it is alive and being spread on a regular basis. I love myths! I need to call Myth Busters on this.
    NJSC
    NJSC
    Admin

Post  NJSC 09.06.09 23:17

What I read/heard was because the presence of the bb there is an "air cushion" (seems to be so many bull air cushions in airsoft) which causes less stress on the piston and cylinder head
    Spectre
    Spectre

Post  Spectre 09.06.09 23:31

Rhino wrote:
    Electioneer wrote:
    NJSC wrote:
    Rhino wrote:

I've read it does.

lol! I love the internet for spreading BS. Some kid probably thought it was bad and then posted somewhere. Now it is alive and being spread on a regular basis. I love myths! I need to call Myth Busters on this.

I would love to see airsoft on mythbusters.

Anywho, just plain take care of your stuff. Routine maintenance is a good thing. It will generally give your AEG a longer life. Also, listen to what the experienced guys have to say. Back when I was first starting, I made the mistake of not listening to upgrading advice that was given to me by more experienced players, and it resulted in an expensive prop for a while, before I was able to completely replace the gearbox. The older guys have been where you new guys are, and they have seen it all. Listen to them.

That is about the best advice I have lol.
    Q-bald
    Q-bald

Post  Q-bald 10.06.09 22:50

OK...we've covered "DRY FIRE" and "MYTH BUSTERS" how bout tips on how often to lube? And maybe specific points on the rifle to lube?
    Also...In a Jam ,does the mag jam or does the BB get stuck in the

(A)HOP UP

(B)BARREL

(C)YOUR EYE

(D)ALL OF THE ABOVE
    Suspect

Post  Guest 10.06.09 23:33

It can get stuck primarily in the hopup but it is possible to get stuck in the barrel. Use the provided barrel cleaner/unjamming rod to remove the BB, stick it in from the firing end of the barrel (with your magazine removed) and push the BB out of the barrel, the BB should come out of the magwell.

If BB gets jammed in your eye, seek immediate medical attention. You are now blind. Do not attempt to remove BB yourself.
    Spectre
    Spectre

Post  Spectre 11.06.09 0:29

Aggressor Dog wrote:It can get stuck primarily in the hopup but it is possible to get stuck in the barrel. Use the provided barrel cleaner/unjamming rod to remove the BB, stick it in from the firing end of the barrel (with your magazine removed) and push the BB out of the barrel, the BB should come out of the magwell.

If BB gets jammed in your eye, seek immediate medical attention. You are now blind. Do not attempt to remove BB yourself.

Also, if the BB gets lodged in your eye, Paul can in no way be held responsible.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is 27.04.24 0:18