Metro Atlanta Airsoft

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A network of airsofters in the Metro Atlanta area.

+9
navyseal1000
{PWNY} RED
aegshooter
Admin
Crazy Twitch
Stalker
{ACE}Steve-o
Lone Wolf
jjmittelman
13 posters

Homemade Claymores

jjmittelman
    jjmittelman

Homemade Claymores Empty Homemade Claymores

Post  jjmittelman 19.09.09 22:19

Most of the time on the airsoft field, you will encounter situations in which u may find urself saying, "I wish i had a claymore". Well for about $25 u can make urself an improvised claymore that works just as well as the $100 ones. Here's a detailed description of how:

PLEASE READ THROUGH INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE STARTING! IT MAKES IT EASIER ON US ALL! ALSO, I AM NOT LIABLE FOR UR STUPIDITY! WHATEVER U SCREW UP ON IS UR OWN FAULT!

MATERIALS-(all of which can be found at your home and Home Depot
    1 Metal Electrical Fuse Box (be careful, they come in many sizes and shapes. the right one should be obvious and have a latch for a padlock on it)
    2 High Powered rat traps. Mouse traps dont cut it.
    1 Old ripped pair of jeans
    2 House steaks(the ones they use to hold ur house down to its foundation)
    Needle and thread (u may need ur mother for this)
    Nuts and bolts, to hold in the rat traps, use ur own judgment on this.

DIRECTIONS-
    1.) Buy the stuff that u dont already have.
    2.) Pull everything out of the fusebox.( it will be positioned so that the door hinge is on the bottom and it opens like a tail gate)
    3.) Use a screw driver and lift the springs up and off of the rat trap killing mechanism. You dont want to hurt urself like i did. Then pull off the trigger mechanism, keep the metal from that.
    4.) Cut the wooden part of the rat trap as much as possible. Be smart about it, u should be left with a little more than half. Remember, they both have to fit inside the fusebox long ways. Keep the scraps.
    5.) Drill a hole in the wooden part thats left so that when u place the rat trap in the fuse box it lines up over a hole. DONT PUT THEM IN YET!!!!
    6.) Now u may need ur mother or a girlfriend. Sew a strip of denim fabric* onto the killing bars of the rat traps so that when the tension is applied by the springs, the fabric will be pulled tightly. Make sure that whoever does this for u stitches it enough or else it will break the first time u do it. Those rat traps r powerful. U want the killing bars to be a little past vertical when the contraption deploys.
    *The denim needs to to be cut rectangularly so that when its pulled tightly by the ends, there is a loose flap that is big enough to cover up the rest of it. It also helps if u make it longer than it needs to be so u can fold it over each killing arm once and then sew it. Also, it needs to be positioned so that the flap is on the same side of the fuse box as the doors hinge.

7.) Now it is important that u had followed my instructions perfectly and not skipped ahead because NOW u put the rat traps into the fuse box and bolt them down. The way they go in better be obvious or else u probably shouldnt have started the project.
    8.) Next u need to take a screw driver and reattach those o so powerful springs to the killing mechanism on the rat trap. It makes everything so much easier if u have followed my instructions as written.
    9.) Now is when u need those scraps u should have saved. if u did this right, then u need to take one of the wood halves of a rat trap and attach it to the door of the fuse box so that it is right in the middle of the door. U'll see why later.
    10.) Take that piece of copper that would normally go across the killing bar on the rat trap. You need to straighten the end of it that does not have a loop in it. This is going to become your release pin later.
    11.) Now take the 2 house steaks and attach them to the back of ur claymore so that the pointy ends are towards the side of the fuse box that has the door hinge on it. This step is optional, they are just there so that u can steak it into the ground.

Completed Claymore
    Homemade Claymores Zi6_0612

Inside View
    Homemade Claymores Zi6_0613

Firing Pin in place
    Homemade Claymores Zi6_0614

Me squeezing the Rat traps to give u a better view
    Homemade Claymores Zi6_0615

FIRING
    1.) Had u done this right, then u should be able to follow these instructions very easily.
    2.) place a handful of bb's in the denim and cover them with the flap.
    3.) Push the demin part down so that there is now tension, and now carefully fold one killing arm down. Then, CAREFULLY fold the other one down on top of the first. this part is very dangerous and should not be done by idiots, infants, or people without hands.
    4.) Now close the door of the fuse box while holding onto the rat traps, when u feel it is safe, let go of the arms and hold onto the door so it doesnt open up on u(duh).
    5.) if u purchased the right fuse box, then there is a place to put a padlock on it. Slip that firing pin we talked about earlier into that place and let go of the door. it shouldnt fire until the pin is removed. however u want to pull the pin is ur decision, but i threaded a string through the loop on the pin and then through a loop on the side of the fusebox. This makes it easy to pull from behind, but u can do whatever u can think of, just dont be stupid.
    6.) Now steak it into the ground. dont do this before hand because it gets difficult to load like that.
    also, try to keep it in an upright position when moving it or else u will lose ur bb's. it also helps if u angle it upwards alot so that u can get a good, wide spread and distance.
    7.) kill the enemy
    8.) Repeat step 7 as necessary
    9.) Repeat step 8 as necessary
    10.) Repeat step 9 as necessary

Last edited by jjmittelman on 20.09.09 18:23; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : added pics to clear up confusion)
    Lone Wolf
    Lone Wolf

Homemade Claymores Empty Re: Homemade Claymores

Post  Lone Wolf 19.09.09 22:31

So your saying make a launcher for the denim wad of bbs.

IMHO you should take paracord. Put a small gromet in each of the four corners on the denim. then put the paracord through that. Drill four holes in the casing near the door just big enough for the paracord.pull the paracord through, but leave enough slack so you can wad it.

As long as you don't tangle up the paracord in the wad it should open every time and give you a better dispersion of bb's Very Happy
    Lone Wolf
    Lone Wolf

Post  Lone Wolf 19.09.09 22:43

Well the thing with clay mores, is they make the trap obvious if you place them in the middle of a path. So you have to know how to place them. Then the trigger system. Instead of pin...rope. Do a deadman's knot and it will release with just a simple tug. And it is way more reliable than a vertical pin that can get caught when you pull a rope horizontally
    jjmittelman
    jjmittelman

Post  jjmittelman 20.09.09 18:20

your not launching wads of anything. ur just shooting a group of bbs in a wide shotgun pattern. these instructions are really for people who know what a claymore is, does, and when to use it.
    Lone Wolf
    Lone Wolf

Post  Lone Wolf 20.09.09 20:15

Yea I know, but your wadding bbs in a denim pouch inside of the trap. That could always catch and not disperse how you want it to. I know what a claymore is...

Post  Guest 21.09.09 1:39

A claymore in airsoft would be impractical anyhow. BBs are easily deflected by brush, especially BBs going at the low fps that they would achieve with this method of fire. The ideal place to put the claymore is in the bush, cover it up with leaves, inside of foliage, etc etc. The other thing is the firing method. You have to pull the pin yourself, and unless you have a massive length of cord, youd be better off jsut shooting them with your AEG. This claymore would also probably only get you one kill per blast, due to the small blast radius it would offer. In reality a claymore is detonated far away from yourself (15 meter backblast affraid ) as well as offers a massive shrapnel blast outwards for an effective 45 meters kills zone and a full 100 meters of potential harm. Not only this, but you can daisywire claymores and intersect their blasts, its rare enough to just have one claymore initiate an ambush. HOWEVER, this is still pretty cool, and looks like it would be fun to play around with and build.
    {ACE}Steve-o
    {ACE}Steve-o

Post  {ACE}Steve-o 21.09.09 2:30

i think claymores couldbe useful in defense at certain ops. (like Freedom)....but with a "trip" wire they are pointless. The ones where you have a remote that can go like 200 feet, hose could be useful.
    jjmittelman
    jjmittelman

Post  jjmittelman 21.09.09 21:50

while i must agree that claymores are a bit unpractical, they are really meant to surprise. This is the scenario that i think of: you are left in charge of defending a road. U hide behind a single bunker on the road. The enemy is approaching and if you pop out, they will see u and take quick cover and most likely go around. So you decide to hide, not let them know of your presence, and walk up to a claymore that is posted about 10 ft in front of u with a clear shot but isnt noticeable, then u pull a cord, which doesnt take too much, and kill a couple then in the confusion, pop up and force the others out(ie knife). By itself the claymore is very unpractical, but if used in the right situation, it can be very helpful, and for just $25 its not like its something ur going to feel forced to use every game.

Post  Guest 21.09.09 23:47

In that situation, you could post up a safe 50-75 ft away, given that they are on a road, in which case they are making the mistake of travelling along a Linear Danger Area, and blast away with your rifle with much more precision and effectiveness. When you pull that claymore and you are only 10ft away, they are going to know your there, and 10ft is not going to help you out :/ . The concept is really cool, and I think for 25$ its worth it for the fun, but idk, perhaps if you could make the triggering mechanism a trip wire instead of a pull cord (which would be incredible easy given the pull cord detonation) , you could put up the claymores and have them cover sectors that you will be absent from. That would make them so much more useful, because youd be completely safe, you wouldnt even be there, they wouldnt be expecting it, and suddenly you have the other team taking casualties without your forces even directly contacting them.
    Stalker
    Stalker

Post  Stalker 21.09.09 23:51

To all you naysayers, I've seen this personally (helped solder the original prototype actually - do you still have that btw?) and it is worth the effort. Definitely is a great surprise in the situation he mentioned. Haha you might almost break a finger if your aren't careful though, or get it cut off from spinning sheet metal (*AHEM* sorry 'bout that), but its still worth it.

Just make sure the denim won't snap or you might almost die loading it Razz

Post  Guest 22.09.09 0:34

Im not naysaying, but the fact of the matter is if you have a weapon that is used to fire directly at the enemy via detonation, there is no point to use it when you are 10ft behind it. A trip wire on this would make for a potentially very useful weapon though.
    Crazy Twitch

Post  Crazy Twitch 22.09.09 7:53

Lone Wolf wrote:Yea I know, but your wadding bbs in a denim pouch inside of the trap. That could always catch and not disperse how you want it to. I know what a claymore is...

Don't worry about that. I have seen a demo of his claymore and it works great. Out of 10 times he shot it, everyone was up to par. It's a good system and its cheap. Plus like Stephen said it would help alot with defense, just run a long cord and sit and wait in the distance.
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin 22.09.09 8:52

Definitely not going to be the "Jesus" weapon, but it's cheap, interesting, and could prove pretty useful in the right situation.
    aegshooter

Post  aegshooter 22.09.09 21:28

Good job Mittleman! BTW this is Taylor from scouts
    jjmittelman
    jjmittelman

Post  jjmittelman 22.09.09 21:35

I do have the trip wire worked out, its just very tedious and must be done correctly or else its an uber fail. By all means, build one urself and devise a system and share with us all.
    {PWNY} RED
    {PWNY} RED

Post  {PWNY} RED 23.09.09 15:21

me and my bro have made very similar claymores, and we use a stiff but streachy material. and lets just say it stings a bit, and the spread is wide, and we have a trip cord set up so all we have to do is set claymore, and set the stake that holds the other wire, its a easy release on the trip pretty simple mechanism, but i would say its effective, just set and forget
    Stalker
    Stalker

Post  Stalker 23.09.09 18:06

I am liking the elastic idea. Sounds like that would be an improvement. What kind of latch do you use with the tripwire?
    {PWNY} RED
    {PWNY} RED

Post  {PWNY} RED 23.09.09 21:37

navyseal1000
    navyseal1000

Post  navyseal1000 23.09.09 22:27

My friend tried to make a homemade claymore and almost blew his hand off - too much M9's!!
    Lone Wolf
    Lone Wolf

Post  Lone Wolf 23.09.09 22:29

...this one doesn't use explosives. Infact you do not want to ever use explosives in airsoft because any decent field is not going to allow.

As for the claymores, I might just do a review on it over the weekend. Not like anyone is going to watch.
    navyseal1000
    navyseal1000

Post  navyseal1000 23.09.09 22:32

Lone Wolf wrote:...this one doesn't use explosives. Infact you do not want to ever use explosives in airsoft because any decent field is not going to allow.

As for the claymores, I might just do a review on it over the weekend. Not like anyone is going to watch.

We got it to work but it is WAAAAAYYYYY TOOOOOOO DAAAAAANNNNNGGGGGGEEEEERRRROOOOUUUUSSS. I was sitting right next to it along with my teammate and he set off the M9's and blew up right next to us. I got 1st degree burns from my stomach up plus alot of welts from the bbs
    BBs, plus M9's fireworks, plus playing airsoft = disaster
    Stalker
    Stalker

Post  Stalker 24.09.09 17:28

navyseal1000 wrote:My friend tried to make a homemade claymore and almost blew his hand off - too much M9's!!

I don't want to be a jerk or anything, but...

"too MANY M9's!!"
    jjmittelman
    jjmittelman

Post  jjmittelman 24.09.09 20:08

Thats actually what i based my design off of.
    jjmittelman
    jjmittelman

Post  jjmittelman 24.09.09 20:16

if u guys r going to OP: Freedom, ill be there with all of my claymores. Im the IED terrorist. also, if u want to buy them ill sell them to u after the game for $25 each
    navyseal1000
    navyseal1000

Post  navyseal1000 24.09.09 20:28

jjmittelman wrote:r u guys going to OP: Freedom?

H.E.L.L. Y.E.A.H.

edit:
    I took a few words out of this guy's comment, I made a question that everyone would say yes

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is 02.05.24 3:14