Metro Atlanta Airsoft

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A network of airsofters in the Metro Atlanta area.

+12
frog
Gunny1.5
XXX
Twitch
sealdude36
Lone Wolf
NJSC
Airsoftguy238
sniper2525
Admin
reconsniperga
Electioneer
16 posters

Proper Terminology

Electioneer
    Electioneer

Proper Terminology Empty Proper Terminology

Post  Electioneer 20.09.09 12:33

I saw this on ASF and it was useful so why not copy it to MAA?

Written by Desert Eagle Fanatic on ASF:

Proper Terminology 30upf9c

Magazine is a hard word to say to all you kids, so just say "Mag" instead of "Clip."
    And if you are talking about a Stripper Clip, please say "Stripper Clip" Or "StripClip."

Lesson 2: Banana clips do not exist.

Look at this picture.
    Proper Terminology 2mcd06u
    That might be a "Banana Clip."
    First of all, it looks nothing like a banana. So drop the Banana.
    Second, It is a "Magazine," not a "Clip."
    If you ever do come across a Banana with rounds shoved into it, then by all means, call it a Banana Clip.

Lesson 3: No, you can't snipe with your upgraded sniper. He might not want to.

Look at this.
    Proper Terminology 2i73afa
    That is a Weapon, not a human being. This is known as a "Sniper Rifle," "Sniper's Rifle," "Sniping Rifle," And a "Rifle."
    A sniper is this.
    Proper Terminology 2nrhvz4

Lesson 3: The BARRET .50 CAL DOESN'T EXIST1111111 (DEBATABLE)

Look at this picture.
    Proper Terminology 30t1cnp
    That is an M82A1, also known as the M107, not a Barret .50 cal. The ".50 cal" is this, also know as the Browning HMG M2 "Ma Deuce."
    Proper Terminology Donl8l

Last edited by Electioneer on 22.09.09 16:39; edited 1 time in total
    reconsniperga
    reconsniperga

Proper Terminology Empty Re: Proper Terminology

Post  reconsniperga 20.09.09 12:49

OMG!!! THANK YOU REED!!! I hate it when people call a Sniper Rifle a Sniper....
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin 20.09.09 12:53

To quote Mr Kokenes, "No, I bought a sniper. He has his own rifle."
    sniper2525
    sniper2525

Post  sniper2525 20.09.09 13:19

I got a barret 50 cal sniper wit a new clip Smile is that right lol jk jk
    glad someone finaly put this up
    Airsoftguy238
    Airsoftguy238

Post  Airsoftguy238 20.09.09 13:24

thank you for putting this up it makes me angry when people say clip when it isnt
    NJSC
    NJSC
    Admin

Post  NJSC 20.09.09 13:46

Granted this is good information, but if someone calls it a clip, don't be a jerk and say "It's a magazine, say it again and I'll kick you in the nuts." Be polite to noobs they are God's creation too.
    sniper2525
    sniper2525

Post  sniper2525 20.09.09 13:58

and just my pet pev if u notice on the snipe rifle the harris bipod is in the right possition it kills me when i c a kid with it backwards facing towards them lol
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin 20.09.09 14:09

sniper2525 wrote:and just my pet pev if u notice on the snipe rifle the harris bipod is in the right possition it kills me when i c a kid with it backwards facing towards them lol
    Twitch......
    Lone Wolf
    Lone Wolf

Post  Lone Wolf 20.09.09 14:21

IMHO these are just pet peeves that annoy some people. They really don't bother me.
    Airsoftguy238
    Airsoftguy238

Post  Airsoftguy238 20.09.09 14:26

NJSC wrote:Granted this is good information, but if someone calls it a clip, don't be a jerk and say "It's a magazine, say it again and I'll kick you in the nuts." Be polite to noobs they are God's creation too.
    Haha yeah its just a pet peve of mine and many others
    Electioneer
    Electioneer

Post  Electioneer 20.09.09 14:35

Proper Terminology A3268f4a

Props to Kavurcen from ASF
    sealdude36
    sealdude36

Post  sealdude36 20.09.09 14:38

nice job Reed! It gets pretty anoying when people use the wrong terminology afro
    Twitch
    Twitch

Post  Twitch 20.09.09 14:56

Admin wrote:
    sniper2525 wrote:and just my pet pev if u notice on the snipe rifle the harris bipod is in the right possition it kills me when i c a kid with it backwards facing towards them lol
    Twitch......

HEY NOW!

I'm sorry trent. bipods just look funny when they extend out over the barrel. I have the harris backwards on my SR and I am proud of it!
    reconsniperga
    reconsniperga

Post  reconsniperga 20.09.09 14:58

Twitch wrote:
    Admin wrote:
    Twitch......

HEY NOW!

I'm sorry trent. bipods just look funny when they extend out over the barrel. I have the harris backwards on my SR and I am proud of it!
    No No No I'm sorry, but I believe you have it backwards....

Post  Guest 20.09.09 15:17

I have been saying Banana style magazines for a while now. Its curved, like a banana, and its a magazine. Hence, banana magazine. As for the Barret .50 Cal, its a Barret made rifle that fires a .50cal BMG round.Hence, Barret .50Cal. Its like if you saw a sedan that had turbo, and said 'Hey thats a TurboCharged Sedan', and someone else said "Hey retard thats a VW Jetta GT, the TurboCharged Sedan doesnt exist"
    XXX
    XXX

Post  XXX 20.09.09 18:25

Aggressor Dog wrote:I have been saying Banana style magazines for a while now. Its curved, like a banana, and its a magazine. Hence, banana magazine. As for the Barret .50 Cal, its a Barret made rifle that fires a .50cal BMG round.Hence, Barret .50Cal. Its like if you saw a sedan that had turbo, and said 'Hey thats a TurboCharged Sedan', and someone else said "Hey retard thats a VW Jetta GT, the TurboCharged Sedan doesnt exist"

So true...
    Gunny1.5
    Gunny1.5

Post  Gunny1.5 20.09.09 21:14

Aggressor Dog wrote:As for the Barret .50 Cal, its a Barret made rifle that fires a .50cal BMG round.Hence, Barret .50Cal.

+1
    frog
    frog

Post  frog 20.09.09 21:46

I am not sure why you want to tell a bunch of guys your pet peeves. This is like telling someone where you are the most ticklish. You can be sure that now people know what buttons to push, there will be much pushing. BTW, can I borrow an M4 clip?
    Electioneer
    Electioneer

Post  Electioneer 20.09.09 22:02

Is it a pet peeve to want to correct improper terminology? I didn't post this so people can try to annoy myself or others with improper terminology, It was meant to inform people of correct terminology so they can speak about rifles or airsoft and appear to know what they are talking about. Personally when I hear someone talk about buying new clips for their sniper I assume they are new, or misinformed.

On the note of Barrett .50 Cal i get you point Paul but couldn't the three Barrett rifles that fire .50 cal ammuntion be confused with one another if someone called a rifle a Barrett .50 cal? Just a thought. (On a side note, the Barrett 98B is sex)
    NJSC
    NJSC
    Admin

Post  NJSC 20.09.09 23:50

On another side note one of the most ticklish parts of the human body is the roof of the mouth.
    Electioneer
    Electioneer

Post  Electioneer 20.09.09 23:54

NJSC wrote:On another side note one of the most ticklish parts of the human body is the roof of the mouth.

And you know this how...? Smile
    NJSC
    NJSC
    Admin

Post  NJSC 20.09.09 23:56

You can actually tickle yourself with your tongue try it. This is starting to get a little off the appropriate path.

Post  Guest 21.09.09 0:44

Its the off topic section, hence you can post whatever you want. If Reed wants to post his pet peeves, so be it. What I can't stand is when someone gets criticized and made fun of, then when they defend themselves they get a "whoa man I was joking way to take it too seriously though".

Also, on the note of the Barret, the most widely known and used rifle that Barret makes in the modern military is the M8a2 (or whatever #/Numerological ID it has). Its like if someone said "I like the American assault rifle". You automatically know M16 series. No one gets flak when they say "My sidearm is a Glock", however, isnt it the same thing as saying that one uses a Barret .50 Cal? Glocks come in so many different series and calibers, as well as firing modes. But its just universally accepted for someone to say Glock, period. Because in the end, its a Glock Pistol, and everyone knows it. Especially in airsoft, when you fire the same caliber all around.

I will defend the clip vs. magazine though. However, I don't think I've ever corrected someone on a forum for saying clip, maybe in person I might say "By the way, its a magazine", because a magazine is legitamately not a clip, and a clip is not a magazine. They are two seperate things. Thats like grabbing an MP5 and saying "Check out my light machine gun". Not that big a deal, but still incorrect.
    Chief
    Chief

Post  Chief 22.09.09 15:01

Here's a quote from the book "Roughneck Nine-One" written by Sgt. 1st Class Frank Anetenori, Green Beret, US Army (Retired). He was SF A-team, team Sgt.

"There was a second mount for an M240 medium machine gun, an M240, or a Barret .50cal sniper rifle for doing assaults." (page 31)

He later writes, "We laid out our Barrett .50cal M107 sniper rifles..." (page 84)

It's seems either is more than acceptable.
    BigD

Post  BigD 22.09.09 15:28

I'm sorry, but if you really have a problem with incorrect terminology, you are just being a jerk. It's like saying that the lead in pencils isn't lead, it's graphite, and making a big deal over it. I mean it is funny thread, but it is entirely based upon nit-picking. I'm not trying to make anyone mad, but seriously, if you get irritated over these things, you are WAY to intense. But if you are going to be technical, a magazine is a clip as a clip in terms of firearms is anything that holds multiple rounds or shells together for rapid reload and use. Thus, a magazine is a clip but a clip isn't necessarily a magazine. The clip in the picture is an example, as it is stripper clip but not a magazine.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is 09.05.24 22:11