Metro Atlanta Airsoft

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A network of airsofters in the Metro Atlanta area.

+3
XXX
Crazy Twitch
Phoenix
7 posters

So... I need some advice regarding a Super Brain 959 charger

Phoenix
    Phoenix

So... I need some advice regarding a Super Brain 959 charger Empty So... I need some advice regarding a Super Brain 959 charger

Post  Phoenix 31.01.09 2:34

While charging a battery, the two gator clamps/leads touched, resulting in a loud pop and a very nice wisp of smoke from within the charger. After I unplugged everything and gave it a moment to sit, I took it apart and found that something had blown apart inside the charger. It was essentially a black plastic tube that appeared to connect two metal prongs. Now I don't know if this is a resistor or a capacitor (I'm pretty sure it's a resistor), but I don't know. So... can anyone with a Super Brain 959 charger or with significant knowledge in electronics help me out here and tell me what I need to do with this. All the metal prongs and wires and such are still in place, the black piece surrounding it is just gone. There are other identical black plastic tubes in the charger that are still fine.

In this picture the tube of which I speak can just barely be seen on the left side, below the copper-wound ring, to the right of the heat sink (I think). It looks just like the black piece that is on the very bottom of the picture with the writing on it.
    So... I need some advice regarding a Super Brain 959 charger 10superbrain2heatsensor

So... can anybody tell me 1) what this is and 2) what affect this would have on my batteries if I were to continue attempting to use it to charge my batteries? To provide a little bit more information, the charger still works (apparently), it's just that after it finishes the testing phase on my battery (which was pretty much completely dead), it says it is completely charged almost instantly, with hardly any charge time (hardly any meaning about 10 seconds at the longest). Thanks for any help you can give me.
    Crazy Twitch

So... I need some advice regarding a Super Brain 959 charger Empty Re: So... I need some advice regarding a Super Brain 959 charger

Post  Crazy Twitch 31.01.09 14:08

I couldn't really say much about this dude. It sounds like your just in need of a new charger pig lol! lol! But is there an internal fan for this charger?
    XXX
    XXX

So... I need some advice regarding a Super Brain 959 charger Empty Re: So... I need some advice regarding a Super Brain 959 charger

Post  XXX 31.01.09 14:41

Dude that sux... You just bought it.
    Terrk

Post  Terrk 31.01.09 14:44

Hmm, I'm betting that it is a capaster.

I can't see the image, because the goverment computer blocks that host.

If you want, you can send me an email with the picture, and I could help you out.
    Phoenix
    Phoenix

Post  Phoenix 31.01.09 20:50

Yes it sucks... Aaron didn't really mention that I needed to keep the two leads from touching (perhaps its common knowledge, but it was news to me. Although it makes sense in hindsight), so they touched for about 2 seconds and something inside blew up. Sad I really don't want to have to buy a new charger. Because that would suck. But I'd rather buy a new charger rather than two new batteries.
    Rhino
    Rhino

Post  Rhino 01.02.09 0:44

That is a diode and the charger will not work properly without it! You could order a new diode but it is important to make sure it is the same wattage and value. But once you replace the diode it could still have other components that were effected from the dead short! Sad Pretty much toast. Unless you take it to a electronics repair shop, but more than like they will rape you on the repair ticket! I can replace the diode for you if you find one...
    Phoenix
    Phoenix

Post  Phoenix 01.02.09 1:38

... What are the forum rules regarding usage of language? Evil or Very Mad Alright, thanks. I figured it wasn't a capacitor or a resistor since I generally know what those look like. That... sucks. I suppose I'll just buy a new charger. Crap on a stick Sad
    Crazy Twitch

Post  Crazy Twitch 01.02.09 11:40

Do you still have a warrenty on it? B/c if you do, make sure to find it. I think our charger had a 60 day warrenty. Or you can just call the company. This is one thing i dont really know. My brother and i know guns and gear but not fixing charhers lol!
    #CW!!ZERO
    #CW!!ZERO

Post  #CW!!ZERO 01.02.09 13:04

Actually Twitch, you don know but remember i am a golf cart mechanic and golf carts use chargers, so I actually have a vast knowledge of chargers, but yes as Rhino stated the piece that blew was a diode and normally when something in a charger breaks, there is always something else. Once the diode is replaced you will find that there will be another piece broken, we hace spent whole days trying to repair chargers at my shop because everytie something new goes in something else will blow. So best bet is find a diode with the right specs and give it to Rhino because he is good with electronics.
    Phoenix
    Phoenix

Post  Phoenix 01.02.09 14:18

The warranty is gone, and right now I'm at college, so it would take a long time for me to find the right diode, get it here, and then get the diode and the charger to Rhino. So I've ordered another charger, and this time I will be a lot more careful Smile Thanks for the help guys.
    Takfire
    Takfire

Post  Takfire 01.02.09 23:44

You're quite the geek Rhino!
    Spec out the diode and let me know.
    I will get on it with some of the local suppliers and let's see if we can get this thing fixed.

Otherwise, it's back to the board level diagnosis and tracing each circuit.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is 06.05.24 23:29