Metro Atlanta Airsoft

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A network of airsofters in the Metro Atlanta area.

+3
UBCS Gibbs
Admin
Phoenix
7 posters

How much does barrel length increase accuracy/range?

Phoenix
    Phoenix

How much does barrel length increase accuracy/range? Empty How much does barrel length increase accuracy/range?

Post  Phoenix 02.02.09 23:37

Basically, is it worth the money to invest in a longer precision barrel and a barrel extension of some kind (an extra $45 or so)?
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

How much does barrel length increase accuracy/range? Empty Re: How much does barrel length increase accuracy/range?

Post  Admin 03.02.09 8:29

It depends. How much longer do you want to go, and what kind of gun are you using? Have you already replaced the hopup bucking?
    UBCS Gibbs
    UBCS Gibbs

How much does barrel length increase accuracy/range? Empty Re: How much does barrel length increase accuracy/range?

Post  UBCS Gibbs 03.02.09 8:41

Post  |337 03.02.09 9:56

I dissagree with gibs, tight bores make a huge difference, but the length doesnt matter as much once you get over about 300mm, however the g36 is only 247mm, what I did is put a M4 barrel in (363mm) and put a small homemade barrel extension on. Trust me tightbores make a huge difference especially in ACM guns if a KWA guy could chime in on whether KWA's come with stock tb or not that should be considered
    ATLAS
    ATLAS

Post  ATLAS 03.02.09 11:03

|337 wrote:I dissagree with gibs, tight bores make a huge difference, but the length doesnt matter as much once you get over about 300mm, however the g36 is only 247mm, what I did is put a M4 barrel in (363mm) and put a small homemade barrel extension on. Trust me tightbores make a huge difference especially in ACM guns if a KWA guy could chime in on whether KWA's come with stock tb or not that should be considered

I more or less have done the same thing (jg g36c). It has made my gun a bit more accurate. I would not look at this as something that will make a dramatic inprovement. It is marginal at best.
    UBCS Gibbs
    UBCS Gibbs

Post  UBCS Gibbs 03.02.09 11:39

hop-up is what makes the biggest difference IMHO.
    Chief
    Chief

Post  Chief 03.02.09 12:17

I also disagree with gibs.

I have put 6.01 barrels in 2 different L96 snipers, and a CA M15A1VN. I have also put a 6.04 in a JG M4, a 6.03 in a ECHO M733 and about 5 other tight bores of varying diameters in others peoples guns. Some were the same length as the stock barrel, some were longer than stock. All have increased the accuracy to varing degrees.

Accuracy:
    Because the stock barrel in the L96's are already tight bore, the improvement was marginal, but it was still an improvement. Putting tight bore's in the CA, the JG, and the ECHO made a more significant difference. One thing you need to be aware of is "barrel wobble." I put a longer than stock, 6.01 tight bore, in a new SRC M4 and it decreased the accuracy (a lot!). If you increase the length of the barrel and it wobbles within the inner barrel, or the barrel extension, then your bb's will go everywhere! A longer tight bore could actually decrease your accuracy if it wobbles when you fire. Make sure the barrel is secure. As mentioned above, your hop up air seal (bucking) is also very important. If it's worn, torn, crooked, or not seated properly, it will not only effect your FPS but also your accuracy. Having a plastic hop up chamber could also effect your accuracy due to the "flex" causing a barrel wobble. I had this happen with my son's Echo M733.

FPS:
    I have done many "before and after" crono tests (using a Madbull crono NOT a coke can!) when installing a tight bore barrel, and have only seen an increase of 1-3 FPS and sometimes no increase.

6.01 Barrel Fallacy:
    On some websites you'll read that if you put a 6.01 barrel in your gun you will have more jams and will have to clean it more often. I put a DBC 6.01 in my CA M15A1VN with the pure intent on field testing a 6.01 barrel. Accuracy was increased significantly, FPS went up by 2, and I purposefully didn't clean it for about 7 days worth of playing (3-4 games per day). I have not had one jam in that gun, ever. My son uses it and so have others, and it has been returned to me with the flash suppresser totally packed with mud! Clean out the flash suppressor, and back to the field, no jams! (Kid's, don't try this at home! This was for science!) Of course I recommend cleaning your gun after every day out in the field! A dirty inner barrel can also effect accuracy!
    Please note that I used TSD BIO .20's and TSD BIO .26 BB's in it the entire time. High grade BB's make a difference in gun jams and accuracy! Also take into account that the CA M15A1VN is an all metal, "high end" gun, built with tighter tolerances' than some other guns.

I look at it this way, even if it's a marginal increase, it's still an increase! Is it worth the money? I think so, but that's for each individual to decide. Now I replace the barrels in my main guns with 6.01's, when available, or 6.03's if I can't get the 6.01's.
    UBCS Gibbs
    UBCS Gibbs

Post  UBCS Gibbs 03.02.09 14:38

Chief wrote:I also disagree with Gibbs.

You must not have read the article, because everything you said was in it.

It was a precautionary measure for him, I strongly suggest PDI 6.03 or EDGI 6.01mm barrels. They are awesome. Read the article and understand what each of the metals do and how they are. Then decide for yourself which one to get.
    Chief
    Chief

Post  Chief 03.02.09 16:13

UBCS Gibbs wrote:
    Chief wrote:I also disagree with Gibbs.

You must not have read the article, because everything you said was in it.

It was a precautionary measure for him, I strongly suggest PDI 6.03 or EDGI 6.01mm barrels. They are awesome. Read the article and understand what each of the metals do and how they are. Then decide for yourself which one to get.

You are correct in stating that I didn't read the article (http://infectedairsoft.wordpress.com/tech-info/how-to-choose-a-new-inner-barrel/) before I replied. Technically speaking the statement "tightbores DO NOT INCREASE ACCURACY AND RANGE!: should be "tight bores don't always increase accuracy and range but they usually do one or the other and sometimes both". Very Happy

The writer of the article is right that it wouldn't be the wisest money spent to change out a stock 6.04 with an aftermarket 6.04 but I may change it out with a 6.01 for a marginal(+) increase in accuracy.
    "I look at it this way, even if it's a marginal increase, it's still an increase! Is it worth the money? I think so, but that's for each individual to decide. Now I replace the barrels in my main guns with 6.01's, when available, or 6.03's if I can't get the 6.01's."

I have yet to try the EDGI 6.01. Do you have a recommended supplier? Where did you get your PDI 6.03?
    UBCS Gibbs
    UBCS Gibbs

Post  UBCS Gibbs 03.02.09 16:44

Chief wrote:I have yet to try the EDGI 6.01. Do you have a recommended supplier? Where did you get your PDI 6.03?

Woops, I meant 6.01 PDI lol. I am not sure if they make a 6.03.

And

http://www.edgicustom-usa.com/
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin 03.02.09 18:25

UBCS Gibbs wrote:hop-up is what makes the biggest difference IMHO.
    I also agree, although hopu upgrades in a TM won't do a whole lot. But upgrade your bucking/hopup first, and then a tightbore.
    Chief
    Chief

Post  Chief 04.02.09 8:16

UBCS Gibbs wrote:
    Chief wrote:I have yet to try the EDGI 6.01. Do you have a recommended supplier? Where did you get your PDI 6.03?

Woops, I meant 6.01 PDI lol. I am not sure if they make a 6.03.

And

http://www.edgicustom-usa.com/

Thanks! Very tempting! Do you know if they are metal, brass, or aluminum barrels?
    Lone Wolf
    Lone Wolf

Post  Lone Wolf 04.02.09 8:20

PDI barrels are usually stainless steel

Post  |337 04.02.09 8:55

EdGi are brass and are very nice barrels, the guy is based out of the philipines and originally did bar 10s but he has expanded

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is 06.05.24 10:04