Metro Atlanta Airsoft

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A network of airsofters in the Metro Atlanta area.

+4
#CW!!ZERO
NJSC
Admin
jjmittelman
8 posters

Serious Question seeking serious answers. DONT RESPOND UNLESS U KNOW WHAT U R TALKING ABOUT!

jjmittelman
    jjmittelman

Serious Question seeking serious answers. DONT RESPOND UNLESS U KNOW WHAT U R TALKING ABOUT! Empty Serious Question seeking serious answers. DONT RESPOND UNLESS U KNOW WHAT U R TALKING ABOUT!

Post  jjmittelman 20.12.09 20:03

I am currently taking AP Physics C in school and we are not going to learn about projectile motion with air resistance until later this year. I am impatient and would like to learn about it now. The reason is so that i can be more accurate when i am using my sniper rifle. All i want to know is if there is a general formula one can use to find the range of the projectile. Assume i know the calculus and data that is needed can be provided.
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Serious Question seeking serious answers. DONT RESPOND UNLESS U KNOW WHAT U R TALKING ABOUT! Empty Re: Serious Question seeking serious answers. DONT RESPOND UNLESS U KNOW WHAT U R TALKING ABOUT!

Post  Admin 20.12.09 20:06

Eh, no, there's not a simple equation for an airsoft rifle. Hopup REALLY complicates things. A LOT.
    jjmittelman
    jjmittelman

Serious Question seeking serious answers. DONT RESPOND UNLESS U KNOW WHAT U R TALKING ABOUT! Empty Re: Serious Question seeking serious answers. DONT RESPOND UNLESS U KNOW WHAT U R TALKING ABOUT!

Post  jjmittelman 20.12.09 20:07

assume there is no hop up. i dont use it. is there a system of formulas? i dont really care how complex they get.
    NJSC
    NJSC
    Admin

Post  NJSC 20.12.09 20:08

If you are not going to use hop up you aren't going to get very much range.
    #CW!!ZERO
    #CW!!ZERO

Post  #CW!!ZERO 20.12.09 20:09

Yeah because of the hopup it is nearly impossible because you would have to calculate how much force is being applied to the bb with different hopup levels. I also was lookin for a formula but my physics teacher could not help me at all. But even without hopup then it is pointless because it tells you nothing.
    jjmittelman
    jjmittelman

Post  jjmittelman 20.12.09 20:12

i checked the range, it is the exact same, but i have to aim slightly higher, and its ridiculously more accurate. so i no longer use it.
    gapairsoft
    gapairsoft

Post  gapairsoft 20.12.09 21:25

sorry for me saying something, but what you said made me interested. about the hop-up did you take out the hop-up or just turn it off.
    i am haji
    i am haji

Post  i am haji 20.12.09 21:53

i did this back in high school while i was bored out of my mind

117 feet for a bb travelling at 300 feet per second doesnt seem right. I dont know if calculating air resitince would give a more precise result since the projectile is relatively small.
    Dont think you can calculate hop though

I cant really recall what i did but your free to look, i dont even think i did properly

Serious Question seeking serious answers. DONT RESPOND UNLESS U KNOW WHAT U R TALKING ABOUT! Untitled1123
    NJSC
    NJSC
    Admin

Post  NJSC 20.12.09 22:04

jjmittelman wrote:i checked the range, it is the exact same, but i have to aim slightly higher, and its ridiculously more accurate. so i no longer use it.
    How much range is that?
    gapairsoft
    gapairsoft

Post  gapairsoft 20.12.09 22:11

i cant see the pic to well but, did you calculate barrel diameter
    jjmittelman
    jjmittelman

Post  jjmittelman 20.12.09 22:14

i just turned off the hop up and it shoots 200 ft accurately. it only was accurate to 150 with hop up.
    jjmittelman
    jjmittelman

Post  jjmittelman 20.12.09 22:14

gapairsoft wrote:i cant see the pic to well but, did you calculate barrel diameter
    it doesnt matter because u use muzzle velocity
    NJSC
    NJSC
    Admin

Post  NJSC 20.12.09 22:25

jjmittelman wrote:i just turned off the hop up and it shoots 200 ft accurately. it only was accurate to 150 with hop up.
    What sniper rifle are you working with? do you have a video where I can see this or something?
    jjmittelman
    jjmittelman

Post  jjmittelman 20.12.09 22:29

NJSC wrote:
    jjmittelman wrote:i just turned off the hop up and it shoots 200 ft accurately. it only was accurate to 150 with hop up.
    What sniper rifle are you working with? do you have a video where I can see this or something?

its a UTG MK96. I dont think a video will help, i have trouble tracking the bb's at that distance with a scope. but it looks pretty parabolic up to 175, then it drops.
    #CW!!ZERO
    #CW!!ZERO

Post  #CW!!ZERO 20.12.09 22:59

You most definately have a messed up rifle if it is going farther without hopup, back when I used to run my Vsr-10 shooting around 700+fps i would get maybe 140 feet of range with my hopup completely off, then around 280 foot body shots 9/10 times with the hopup adjusted properly. I know your rifle is more then likely stock so it is most likely shooting less then 450fps, so 200 foot shots with the hopup off is PHYSCIALLY impossible.
    jjmittelman
    jjmittelman

Post  jjmittelman 20.12.09 23:13

#CW!!ZERO wrote:You most definately have a messed up rifle if it is going farther without hopup, back when I used to run my Vsr-10 shooting around 700+fps i would get maybe 140 feet of range with my hopup completely off, then around 280 foot body shots 9/10 times with the hopup adjusted properly. I know your rifle is more then likely stock so it is most likely shooting less then 450fps, so 200 foot shots with the hopup off is PHYSCIALLY impossible.

sorry, i had that worded wrong. with the hop up on, its ACTUAL range is around 300ft. i was talking about the distance until the bb loses its accuracy. To get it to shoot 200ft, i am angling the gun up significantly, i can barely keep the target in the scope. So it is going farther "accurately" w/o hop up.
    jjmittelman
    jjmittelman

Post  jjmittelman 20.12.09 23:30

http://phet.colorado.edu/sims/projectile-motion/projectile-motion_en.html

This link can take u to a program. just plug in ur info and make sure ur units r correct. ideally, i would like to be able to do this stuff by hand, but this actually gives the exact information i needed.

I used the values
    Mass- .00028kg
    Initial Speed-133m/s (measured at recent game)
    Diameter- .006m
    drag coefficient- .47 (found in aerodynamics textbook)
    and altitude- 296m(estimation)

Last edited by jjmittelman on 22.12.09 0:20; edited 1 time in total
    Stalker
    Stalker

Post  Stalker 21.12.09 0:45

dude that's a cool program. As for your accurate range, you should come to my house to test that out and make absolutely sure you are right. My yard is (at max) 275ft long, I think you'll be able to get a good idea. (btw the sewer drain to the trees in front of the fort is only about 125ft)
    #CW!!ZERO
    #CW!!ZERO

Post  #CW!!ZERO 21.12.09 2:28

That program is without the use of hopup, so it is pointless unless you r going to start playing without hopup.
    Stalker
    Stalker

Post  Stalker 21.12.09 12:49

Oh btw Josh, Newton's laws say that the Coriolis Effect won't mess with the trajectory of the BB unles the coefficient of friction on the enamel coating is .22 or higher. And I know what I'm talking about.

Razz
    jjmittelman
    jjmittelman

Post  jjmittelman 21.12.09 23:49

Stalker wrote:Oh btw Josh, Newton's laws say that the Coriolis Effect won't mess with the trajectory of the BB unles the coefficient of friction on the enamel coating is .22 or higher. And I know what I'm talking about.

Razz

Actually u dont. that made no sense. the coriolis effect has no effect anyways.
    jjmittelman
    jjmittelman

Post  jjmittelman 21.12.09 23:51

Stalker wrote:dude that's a cool program. As for your accurate range, you should come to my house to test that out and make absolutely sure you are right. My yard is (at max) 275ft long, I think you'll be able to get a good idea. (btw the sewer drain to the trees in front of the fort is only about 125ft)

i guarantee that my measurements are accurate. much more accurate than using ur yard approximations. i actually measured out 200ft with measuring tape.
    Stalker
    Stalker

Post  Stalker 22.12.09 0:01

haha ok, i believe you.

and yes, I know that was rediculous. That's why I posted it, because you made such a big deal about ppl who know what they're talking about... Razz
    jjmittelman
    jjmittelman

Post  jjmittelman 22.12.09 0:06

exactly. but now i have a system worked out where i can shoot ridiculously accurately anywhere from 100ft to 200 ft with minimal hop up. its just enough to get it there without sacrificing accuracy at closer ranges

Post  Guest 22.12.09 0:10

Please, post pics and vid. Otherwise, you'll find yourself without anyone believing your claim. And what is your definition of effective accuracy?

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is 26.04.24 23:56