Metro Atlanta Airsoft

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A network of airsofters in the Metro Atlanta area.

+2
poopdaddy
surefire pigeon
6 posters

A.E.G. Silencing Guide

surefire pigeon
    surefire pigeon

A.E.G. Silencing Guide Empty A.E.G. Silencing Guide

Post  surefire pigeon 24.07.11 23:35

A.E.G. Silencing Guide

This is a how-to on how to make your electric gun much quieter. Most of the noise comes from two places - gearbox noise and barrel pop. I will be discussing both.

Gearbox Noise

Shimming – Make sure you shim according to the bevels gear interaction with the pinion. You do not want the pinion to forcing the bevel up or you will get a nasty screech regardless of motor height. When you shim, polish your gears and remove (gunk) that collects in between the teeth to prevent binding. Shim your gears tight, but not too tight, to the closest .01mm. You want to have VERY minimal play to prevent gear slapping, but want them to spin freely.
    Gears – You will want to break in you gears at a slow speed. Additionally polish them as I stated before.
    Motor – Breaking in your motor (if it is not stock) is also a good idea. Choose a soft pinion, like a Tokyo Marui or G&P. They will wear faster at more strenuous levels, but will decrease gear whine substantially.
    Piston POP – Do not opt for a metal piston head. A polycarbonate will save a loud crack as well as save a crack in the gearbox. Using Sorbothane Padding with a buffer can absorb shock and in some cases quiet the gun. Use 70 durometer for greater than 1 joule. Using 50 durometer can have better silencing effects but should be used for gearboxes with a m90-m100 because it will change more at higher shocks.
    AR Latch – If you plan on using a semi only weapon and are utilizing an active-breaking MOSFET, you CAN remove the AR latch. I DO NOT recommend it but it will prevent a fast clicking nose.
    Lastly, Grease Well – I use a silicone gel with Teflon called Superlube grease. Use it for the gears, bushings, and the cylinder. Use 20-30 weight Silicone Shock oil for the tappet, and piston rails, as well as the piston and cylinder head o-rings. Greasing the gears will allow them to run smoothly and efficiently, while greasing the other parts is always a good idea.

Barrel Pop
    – Most of the noise from barrel pop is a result of the air behind the bb expanding rapidly.

Barrel Extension – By using a hollow barrel extension such as a homemade PVC one, you can fill it with material to help absorb the sound. Using cotton or foam is best, as it is easy to mold and does its job well.
    “Expander” - I have not tried this yet, but in theory, should work well. The concept is a barrel extension that as the farther down you get, the wider the bore will be. This will allow the air to expand slowly, thus reducing a popping noise.

These are my suggestions, if you have any other suggestions, post a reply and I will add. Hope this benefits anyone who is trying to quiet their AEG!

poopdaddy
    poopdaddy

A.E.G. Silencing Guide Empty Re: A.E.G. Silencing Guide

Post  poopdaddy 25.07.11 19:51

have you tried this yet
    bring your gun to one of the games
    i would like to hear how quiet it is
    surefire pigeon
    surefire pigeon

Post  surefire pigeon 25.07.11 22:47

I have only made one truly quiet gun. I dont really like to much, and actually prefer them to be loud (in regards to barrel pop that is)(of course I want the gearbox quiet.) Anyway that gun was a JG 36c and has been sold. The only gun I use now is my m16, and that is pretty loud, so yeah.. This guide was meant for suggestions for players who wish to make their guns more quiet. If you have a suggestion feel free to post and I'll add it up there.
    poopdaddy
    poopdaddy

Post  poopdaddy 25.07.11 23:04

i kinda like loud as well
    both on rof and range guns
    surefire pigeon
    surefire pigeon

Post  surefire pigeon 25.07.11 23:08

poopdaddy wrote:i kinda like loud as well
    both on rof and range guns
    I am currently building a JG 36e I got new for 80$. A range gun as well, hopefully 420fps and a low rof (18-22). Its going to be my support gun with a nice hop-up. I will keep this one loud, as the only guns I opt to quiet are dmr's although I havent made one for a while.
    NJSC
    NJSC
    Admin

Post  NJSC 25.07.11 23:42

so you made a jg g36c dmr?
    surefire pigeon
    surefire pigeon

Post  surefire pigeon 25.07.11 23:51

NJSC wrote:so you made a jg g36c dmr?
    No, I should have rephrased it, dmr's are MOSTLY the guns I choose to silence.
    cykotik1
    cykotik1

Post  cykotik1 15.08.11 1:36

I know that adding foam to barrel extension helps to quiet an AEG. All my guns have foam filled extensions on them.
    -a|ex
    -a|ex

Post  -a|ex 15.08.11 10:25

using an 11.1v LiPo will quiet down gear noise. super fast trigger response = no gear whine and motor noise. all you hear is the piston impact and air pop.
    NJSC
    NJSC
    Admin

Post  NJSC 15.08.11 15:16

I don't know if suppressors filled with foam are really going to do anything.
    surefire pigeon
    surefire pigeon

Post  surefire pigeon 15.08.11 16:04

NJSC wrote:I don't know if suppressors filled with foam are really going to do anything.
    Have you tried it? And yes a|ex, forget to mention that faster response equals less time of noise. I assumed people knew.
    NJSC
    NJSC
    Admin

Post  NJSC 15.08.11 21:32

Well my thought process is that first off if you have ever dealt with acoustics you understand that sound waves act a lot like water. So the only thing foam will do is prevent echos. It does not cut down on the decibel level at all. So foam has it's place but it is not sound absorption. For that you need something with more mass or an air seal (better yet both). So if you have [sound] [concrete] [air] [concrete] you are going to have a barrier which most of the sound cannot penetrate. So I would then make the assertion that instead of making your gun quieter you are just changing the sound of the gun and even that is slight. Have I tried it? Yeah. But if you want to be more quiet concentrate on the gb and shoot on semi.
    surefire pigeon
    surefire pigeon

Post  surefire pigeon 15.08.11 22:24

NJSC wrote:Well my thought process is that first off if you have ever dealt with acoustics you understand that sound waves act a lot like water. So the only thing foam will do is prevent echos. It does not cut down on the decibel level at all. So foam has it's place but it is not sound absorption. For that you need something with more mass or an air seal (better yet both). So if you have [sound] [concrete] [air] [concrete] you are going to have a barrier which most of the sound cannot penetrate. So I would then make the assertion that instead of making your gun quieter you are just changing the sound of the gun and even that is slight. Have I tried it? Yeah. But if you want to be more quiet concentrate on the gb and shoot on semi.
    I have tried the foam and it produces a more muffled sound, kinda like sorbo.
    NJSC
    NJSC
    Admin

Post  NJSC 16.08.11 15:52

The sorbo is doing something different completely though it prevents two hard surfaces from contacting each other.
    drizzetsrevenge
    drizzetsrevenge

Post  drizzetsrevenge 16.08.11 19:59

NJSC wrote:Well my thought process is that first off if you have ever dealt with acoustics you understand that sound waves act a lot like water. So the only thing foam will do is prevent echos. It does not cut down on the decibel level at all. So foam has it's place but it is not sound absorption. For that you need something with more mass or an air seal (better yet both). So if you have [sound] [concrete] [air] [concrete] you are going to have a barrier which most of the sound cannot penetrate. So I would then make the assertion that instead of making your gun quieter you are just changing the sound of the gun and even that is slight. Have I tried it? Yeah. But if you want to be more quiet concentrate on the gb and shoot on semi.

wait, let me see if i have this right, you are saying that you are better off filling your extension with concrete than foam?
    -a|ex
    -a|ex

Post  -a|ex 16.08.11 20:20

you don't even need to fill it. it will redirect the sound forward instead of the sound leaking out towards the sides. your target can still hear the sound, but those behind you will not hear as well. but remember that sound will bounce around and echo in the environment.
    NJSC
    NJSC
    Admin

Post  NJSC 16.08.11 20:26

drizzetsrevenge wrote:

wait, let me see if i have this right, you are saying that you are better off filling your extension with concrete than foam?
    No. You have it wrong.
    drizzetsrevenge
    drizzetsrevenge

Post  drizzetsrevenge 16.08.11 20:31

NJSC wrote:
    drizzetsrevenge wrote:

No. You have it wrong.

well, i tried
    surefire pigeon
    surefire pigeon

Post  surefire pigeon 17.08.11 18:57

-a|ex wrote:you don't even need to fill it. it will redirect the sound forward instead of the sound leaking out towards the sides. your target can still hear the sound, but those behind you will not hear as well. but remember that sound will bounce around and echo in the environment.
    you said you don't need to fill it? when I used my PVC barrel extension (hollow) it worked as an amplifier and could be heard louder not just towards the target.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is 28.04.24 12:01