Metro Atlanta Airsoft

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A network of airsofters in the Metro Atlanta area.

+9
Hans
Airsoftguy238
Twitch
NJSC
XXX
Spectre
Blackhawk 5
Q-bald
13 posters

Opinions on scopes and red dots

Q-bald
    Q-bald

Opinions on scopes and red dots Empty Opinions on scopes and red dots

Post  Q-bald 07.06.09 11:41

I know a lot of you guys use scopes and red dots on your rifles.I know they look cool,but how practical are they really?
    Being airsoft is a close range sport,and the bb's make their own tracer, I wondering how a red dot can improve anything.
    Not really talking about snipers here.
    Blackhawk 5
    Blackhawk 5

Opinions on scopes and red dots Empty Re: Opinions on scopes and red dots

Post  Blackhawk 5 07.06.09 11:53

Personally Im no fan of scopes, just a waste of money.... and don't get the cheap $10 either. Used to own an NCstar but it came no different than iron sights so I had sold. Then again my gun is for shorter range so i dont really need one :p
    Spectre
    Spectre

Post  Spectre 07.06.09 12:38

In my own opinion, most scopes are essentially ineffective as Airsoft is a predominantly close range game, however, red dots and holosights are extremely effective in the game of airsoft. Red dots and holosights do not offer any magnification, they simply aid in getting your weapon on target faster. It is a faster and more efficient method than traditional iron sights. I personally use an Aimpoint style red dot on my KWA M4 and I love it. It is very easy to obtain a target with it and it functions quite well. On top of all that, they just plain look cool. So while a normal scope is largely ineffective, a red dot or holo can be quite useful in airsoft.

I am sure there are some people who would dispute the use of scopes, so keep in mind that this is my own opinion based on my experience.
    XXX
    XXX

Post  XXX 07.06.09 13:03

Sorry to disagree with you guys...but I just discovered that I like scopes a lot. I currently have a DMR and the range is spectacular. I also have a PDI barrel in it which makes it super accurate, I haven't done any official range tests or accuracy tests, I will get back to you shortly with them. I like scopes because I can hit people easily at far ranges that I wouldn't be able to do if I didn't have a scope!

I am thinking about buying a red dot to see how I like them but the scope has served me well so far!

I think they are only really practical when you have a gun that can shoot at long ranges.

I know a couple of the other guys agree with me, NJSC uses a scope, |337 does to!

Post  |337 07.06.09 13:07

I use a scope on my DMR, but I definitely prefer iron sites over most optics, I only use a scope on DMR because it is helpful at longer ranges with spotting and I dont really care for armalite sites.

HK diopter sites ftw
    NJSC
    NJSC
    Admin

Post  NJSC 07.06.09 13:13

I do use my scope a bit, but also if i throw it on full auto I just peak around the side. It has helped me much with spotting.
    Spectre
    Spectre

Post  Spectre 07.06.09 13:15

|337 wrote:I use a scope on my DMR, but I definitely prefer iron sites over most optics, I only use a scope on DMR because it is helpful at longer ranges with spotting and I dont really care for armalite sites.

HK diopter sites ftw

+1 from another fan of HK sights
    Twitch
    Twitch

Post  Twitch 07.06.09 13:27

I prefer scopes over Iron sights because scopes allow me to keep my peripheral vison. Maybe its just me, but I cant do that with Iron sights.

All of my weapons (real or airsoft) have a scope on them. Generally its just red dots, but my DMRs have 3-9x scopes. Like Nic said, they help me with spotting.
    Spectre
    Spectre

Post  Spectre 07.06.09 13:32

Twitch wrote:I prefer scopes over Iron sights because scopes allow me to keep my peripheral vison. Maybe its just me, but I cant do that with Iron sights.

All of my weapons (real or airsoft) have a scope on them. Generally its just red dots, but my DMRs have 3-9x scopes. Like Nic said, they help me with spotting.

Red dots are especially helpful in maintaining situational awareness because they allow you to keep both eyes open while firing. Like you said, you still have your peripheral vision, which is essential in any situation.
    Airsoftguy238
    Airsoftguy238

Post  Airsoftguy238 08.06.09 10:25

I used a scope on my AK, not just because itlooked cool, but also I don't have great eyesight and I used it for spotting people I regularly wouldn't have been able to see.
    Hans
    Hans

Post  Hans 08.06.09 15:10

I agree with having a Red Dot Reflex scope. It may seem pointless, but it actually helps a lot. I would put one on my RS AK, but i would have to put it on my battery cover
    scooter
    scooter

Post  scooter 08.06.09 15:20

Scopes do work on some longer range guns, but arent ever spot on. Red dots do work well, but in my opinion they dont make a big enough difference to be worth the extra cash. I prefer just using ironsights. Smile
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin 08.06.09 15:52

scooter wrote:Scopes do work on some longer range guns, but arent ever spot on.
    Unless you zero them. You'll need to put some cash in some accuracy upgrades to make it worth it though.
    scooter
    scooter

Post  scooter 08.06.09 15:56

Admin wrote:
    Unless you zero them. You'll need to put some cash in some accuracy upgrades to make it worth it though.

yeah... Tinman got his DMR pretty much zeroed in, it shoots ok with .2's but it is almost perfect with .3's and .28's.
    But i think he changed the hop up several times and I think he has a tightbore in it, i dont remember.
    But with a stock AEG its hard to get zeroed in perfectly, you can get close though
    Spectre
    Spectre

Post  Spectre 09.06.09 1:37

scooter wrote:
    Admin wrote:

yeah... Tinman got his DMR pretty much zeroed in, it shoots ok with .2's but it is almost perfect with .3's and .28's.
    But i think he changed the hop up several times and I think he has a tightbore in it, i dont remember.
    But with a stock AEG its hard to get zeroed in perfectly, you can get close though

I personally have never seen a need for anything more than a red dot, but a lot of that is biased because I am primarily a close range player. I can see the value of a scope when being used as a spotting tool, and I will agree that it does have some long range applications. I personally do not use them though. It all comes down to personal preference in the end. Use what works best for you.

Post  Guest 09.06.09 12:52

It really depends on the way you like to play. Red Dots are great if you are fairly new to a weapon, they help you obtain your target much faster. Also, the cheapo 10$ red dot happens to be my favorite, although I would suggest you invest in something better than that. After a while, you can really get a natural feel for your airsoft guns trajectory, I used to use a scope to start with my G3, then I switched over to a red-dot, now I just eyeball it, and Ive never been more effective with it. After a while, you can just naturally feel where your fire is going to go. Iron sights are not an effective aiming device in airsoft however, airsoft guns just arent precise enough to utilize them. Red dots work much more effectively, and scopes should only be utilized with very high end guns. But like I said, once you get to the point where you can eyeball your fire, you wont be in need of any form of aiming device.
    Spectre
    Spectre

Post  Spectre 09.06.09 15:17

Aggressor Dog wrote:It really depends on the way you like to play. Red Dots are great if you are fairly new to a weapon, they help you obtain your target much faster. Also, the cheapo 10$ red dot happens to be my favorite, although I would suggest you invest in something better than that. After a while, you can really get a natural feel for your airsoft guns trajectory, I used to use a scope to start with my G3, then I switched over to a red-dot, now I just eyeball it, and Ive never been more effective with it. After a while, you can just naturally feel where your fire is going to go. Iron sights are not an effective aiming device in airsoft however, airsoft guns just arent precise enough to utilize them. Red dots work much more effectively, and scopes should only be utilized with very high end guns. But like I said, once you get to the point where you can eyeball your fire, you wont be in need of any form of aiming device.

I find that I disagree. Red dots can be very useful in obtaining a line on your target. They help in getting your brain focused on what you want to shoot. I have also found iron sights to be effective in giving you a good idea of where your bb's are going to go. It isn't spot on, but then again, in airsoft, nothing ever is.
    Andy
    Andy

Post  Andy 19.01.10 23:06

Being new to airsoft, I just went with what I have been using for the last several years. RedDot. My Tasco is NOT the same as my issued ACOG or the Aimpoint M68 I was using before that, but it is close enough that the muscle memory is already there. I feel that I will be able to pick up my targets faster using both eyes. My sons tells me that most engagements are pretty close-25 meters or less-so maybe, I will end up not needing it. My first game will be this weekend and I am very excited to see how it goes.
    Bulldog94
    Bulldog94

Post  Bulldog94 20.01.10 19:14

well just with experience i have only needed to use a scope on my rifle when i needed to locate a far away target other than that its just for looks.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is 01.05.24 19:32