Metro Atlanta Airsoft

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A network of airsofters in the Metro Atlanta area.

+2
Rhino
G force
6 posters

wires over heating

G force
    G force

wires over heating  Empty wires over heating

Post  G force 20.12.10 20:43

hey guys i need some help! have a new Matrix Aim Top M4 with less than 5000 rds. It came with 110 spring and shot around 360 becuse it has very good compesion. Well that wasn't good enough so i got a 120 spring and a mad bull bucking to make some simple upgrades. All that went good and i did a good job on shiming. i wanted to run the wires out the back... seemed easy enough. i used the pathway for the wires thats made into the gearbox shell. now the wires are gettting very hot. hot enough to make the fuse glow. gun shoots great just after about 20sec. the wires are realy hot. i have taken it apart 3 times now and checked for bare wires found one and repaired but now i am at my wits end. Should i run new wires? do yall think the bigger spring is working the motor to hard? btw i am using a large type 9.6v. please help tx
    Rhino
    Rhino

wires over heating  Empty Re: wires over heating

Post  Rhino 20.12.10 21:46

What Motor? it could be the motor, shimming, or the motor height.
    HavenUnitOctopus

Post  HavenUnitOctopus 20.12.10 22:10

But is it possible to make a front wired gearbox a back wired gearbox.
    Rhino
    Rhino

Post  Rhino 20.12.10 22:17

HavenUnitOctopus wrote:But is it possible to make a front wired gearbox a back wired gearbox.

Yes.
    HavenUnitOctopus

Post  HavenUnitOctopus 20.12.10 22:18

Ok thanks
    NJSC
    NJSC
    Admin

Post  NJSC 21.12.10 2:23

Sometimes companies will have the wires run out the back and they just run across the gb, to front wire, it and tape the wires down. Matrix I would think would be one of those companies.
    HavenUnitOctopus

Post  HavenUnitOctopus 21.12.10 3:07

No they don't run it across the top of the gearbox if thats whats you mean. The wires are like any ordinary front wired gearbox it is feed throughout the gearbox. Well the lipo ready ones are normal.
    G force
    G force

Post  G force 21.12.10 8:33

The motor is the one that came with the gun i assume it is a Aim Top. It has a green body with no markings. i got some new 14awg wire i am going to atempt to rewire today at lunch.
    -a|ex
    -a|ex

Post  -a|ex 21.12.10 11:44

i used existing wires from my front wired JG and moved them to the rear with no problems. i used an old flashlight belt holster as a battery bag which worked out perfect. drilled 2 holes on the stock and used zip ties to hold the holster.

high resistance causes the wires to heat up. could be from bad connectors, motor, battery or bad soldering. use an ohm meter to find the problem area. you can hear it if the shim or motor height is not adjusted correctly. i would start with the easiest to diagnose, try a different battery to see if that solves the problem. if that doesn't work, have someone that knows how to use an ohm meter check out the connections and motor.

-a|ex
    NJSC
    NJSC
    Admin

Post  NJSC 22.12.10 6:57

HavenUnitOctopus wrote:No they don't run it across the top of the gearbox if thats whats you mean. The wires are like any ordinary front wired gearbox it is feed throughout the gearbox. Well the lipo ready ones are normal.
    So this is your gun that he is asking questions about or have you just worked on it.
    G force
    G force

Post  G force 22.12.10 13:56

heres the latest on the gear box; cleaned and lightly greased, new wires with nice neat soldering, best shim job i've ever done, tryed differnt motors, tryed differnt battries, and replaced stock spring. wires still getting hot not as hot but still hot. the only thing i haven't messed with is the trigger switch assembly that "looks" ok. one thing i did notice is the selector gear does not hit the piston teeth in the middel, i have the gears shimed as low as posible. is that normal? any way i'm going to keep working on it just becuse i don't like giving up, but i think my gun has just turned sour like a lemon. after Christmas i think i'm going to drowned my sorows with a new G&G.
    -a|ex
    -a|ex

Post  -a|ex 22.12.10 16:56

did you try a different battery?

-a|ex
    G force
    G force

Post  G force 22.12.10 17:31

yes i tryed three different types of 9.6 with the same results. you were on the right track about the resitance i just can't figure out where i'm gettig it. the gears are shimed perfect, much better than they came stock. i can notice that they even sound better. the pistion, tappet plate seem to move freely. BTY a stock JG motor did better at pulling the 120 spring.
    sniper2525
    sniper2525

Post  sniper2525 22.12.10 18:49

ok shimming most people say they shimmed it right when they actualy arnt. The propper way is to take everything out of the gear box minus the gears. put the two halfs together and screw in 2-4 screws. Now spin the gears with your finger through the hole where the cylinder was. Do the gears spin easy? do they move back and forth? do they grind? those are the kind of things you want to check. You want them to be free spinning with little side to side movement when the gb is closed. Most likely you are shimming incorectly and your motor is junk
    NJSC
    NJSC
    Admin

Post  NJSC 23.12.10 1:55

What kind of motor are you running?

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is 12.05.24 21:18